User Avatar Image

Your opinion of/reaction to meeting Chuck, Omid and Christa? Episode 3. [Spoilers]

posted by greenj2 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.7K users

I'm curious to know how you guys reacted to meeting and generally what you now think of these new survivors. :)

Personally, I was so emotionally drained after the previous horrific events of the day, I could hardly muster a fuck to give about these new, seemingly very interesting people. XD I just wearily went into automatic threat assessment mode and when I felt satisfied that they posed no obvious danger to our shambled remnants of a group, I decided they could all go to hell and fuck for all I cared. Pardon the language, but I feel it fits. XD

I must admit that I started to warm up to Chuck during the train ride. He seems like a cool dude, had some good advice and I shared a swig of hobo rum with him. Good times. The 'candy' dialogue upon meeting him may have been the only laughs I got in Episode 3 too, besides the 'Duck Greyson' stuff. That shot of Ben stuffing his face with hobo candy like a little kid was priceless. XD

91 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @LadyJ said: The term Dainty imo is applicable however, I can certainly classify the groups as Alpha vs. Non-Alpha female types. The point is not in the semantics though.

Both Christa and Lilly were Alpha leaders who kept people alive through the ZA.

Neither Carly nor Katjaa take on the leadership roles within the group. Aside from their skills (shooting and healing) they follow rather than lead.

Without a leader, I don't think either of the last pairing would survive the ZA. Carly would have lasted longer because she could shoot.

It seems fairly obvious to me that the largest difference between these pairs and their likability can be summarized as a preference for Non-Alpha females and disdain for Alpha females on this message board.

carley was an alpha female as well as lilly, but lilly would literally shriek at people and she was two faced (pretended not to know who you were to get you on her side after larry told you he knew), but carley save our lives as her opening scene then lilly got angry

• @Cyreen said: If you want to term Katjaa as a beta personality because she followed her husband, fine. However, while I'm certainly not a raving Carley fan by any means, Carley kept people alive (Lilly included).

I'm willing to give Christa the benefit of the doubt, but Lilly was no alpha chick. Carley pretty much pegged her as just a "scared little girl" who learned that throwing a hissy fit generally got her what she wanted.

No, Katjaa wasn't a beta personality because she followed Kenny. She was uncomfortable firing a weapon, uncomfortable with the decision Kenny made to kill Larry. These are examples of her not adapting well to her new reality, which makes her soft and not leadership material.

Carly could fire a gun but could not put batteries in a radio and made remarks about not being able to handle the difficulties involved in rationing food for the group. Again, not leadership material.

Lilly like her or not kept them fed, put them on a schedule and made the difficult decisions. Of course she went batshit but that's beside the point. She was able to maintain a position of leadership.

Christa ostensibly (we don't know much about her) was responsible for keeping her and Omid from harm and felt confident enough in her survival abilities to be walking unarmed on an open bridge. Leadership material.

I don't have a strong tie with any of these characters and have issues with all of them. I am a very pragmatic type and can therefore relate more to Christa and Lilly than Katjaa and Carly. My respect for the characters is limited to their ability to adapt and survive.

• @thestalkinghead said: carley was an alpha female as well as lilly, but lilly would literally shriek at people and she was two faced (pretended not to know who you were to get you on her side after larry told you he knew), but carley save our lives as her opening scene then lilly got angry

Carley wasn't an alpha female. She didn't take shit and said what she thought about things but she wasn't the alpha leader type.

Lily wasn't really an alpha female to me neither. She took charge and everything but that was probably only because her dad thought his big girl should do so. He wanted her to be a brave fighter pilot but she ended up dealing with bureaucrats and plane maintenance instead. I think she's insecure and doesn't handle well under pressure. But she held down the group good a while under EP2 handling the food and whatnot.

• Need more information on Chuck before I really can make a sound decision on how I feel about him. He seems to have good intentions based on his advice, so at this point I'm fine with him.

Christa seems to be not very trusting, brash, and with the world they're living in, rightfully so. Right now I'm on the fence with her, but I feel she's the same with me. I also believe the reason her and Omid are alive is directly attributed to her.

Omid, I actually like him. His comment about his cat being pissed off was priceless. Seems very mellow, easy going, and a bit of an opposite compared to Christa. I thought it was cool that he had the option of bonding with Lee about Civil War history. However, I think that's a ploy to try and play at the heart strings come next episode when dealing with his leg.

• @Shane.Granger said:
    I also think Christa is the intended romance option for Lee, the part about American history was just to perfect to be idle chit-chat. Plus they seemed to emphasize her motherly instincts towards Clem.

christa clearly states (maybe a choice thing?) it's omid thats into the history and says know anyone like that, too which lee puts his hand up..

@Shane.Granger said:

Plus shes totally preggorz.

or christa is bit they don't know it's fatal/ they are already infected.

@Shane.Granger said: Omid going on about how we had a child with us and that it's so cool and that he hasn't seen one in a long time... well, creeped me out. And Christa needs to learn what's her business and what isn't.

agree, christa was a hyprocrite imo giving lee crap/bitchiness for getting in her business and then she turns around and tells lee how to raise clem gets in his and expects us to like it ?

@Shane.Granger said: Need more information on Chuck before I really can make a sound decision on how I feel about him. He seems to have good intentions based on his advice, so at this point I'm fine with him.

Christa seems to be not very trusting, brash, and with the world they're living in, rightfully so. Right now I'm on the fence with her, but I feel she's the same with me. I also believe the reason her and Omid are alive is directly attributed to her.

Omid, I actually like him. His comment about his cat being pissed off was priceless. Seems very mellow, easy going, and a bit of an opposite compared to Christa. I thought it was cool that he had the option of bonding with Lee about Civil War history. However, I think that's a ploy to try and play at the heart strings come next episode when dealing with his leg.

mostly agree except for omid i don't trust him around clem..

now as to why they where on the bridge with nothing but the clothes they wear ? i say they are part of 'mr exes group' on the walkie in ep4,

i wonder if they caused the tanker crash, funny how it was blocking the train, so i wonder if clem before she feel asleep told mr x they where on a train and he sends omid and christa to slow them down/ join them.. why no supplies and how come they hadn't been in the station untill after we'd cleared it ?

• I like chuck so far, I don't care too much for Omid or Christa. I hope you can get rid of them in episode 4.

• @LadyJ said: Christa ostensibly (we don't know much about her) was responsible for keeping her and Omid from harm and felt confident enough in her survival abilities to be walking unarmed on an open bridge. Leadership material.

We obviously have differing opinions on what it means to be a strong woman. Personally I thought walking unarmed on an open bridge, yelling at armed strangers, during a zombie apocalypse pretty stupid.

• Hmmm reaction to meeting...Well Chuck was completely unbelievable and thrust upon the group. Supposedly bonded with the entire group in the time it took me to walk from the front of a car to the back. No alarm bells were rang and just "oh hey lee, I see you met our new bestest friend chuck."

Christa and Omid were a little more believable, but umm wtf? They are just roaming around on foot with no supplies? Which makes even less sense if she is pregnant like I'm suspecting. Then they just automatically bond with the group in two seconds...Even though they don't like groups.

Overall I think these new characters were thrust on us too quickly to be at all believable or likeable.

• @plaqueconspiracy said: Carley wasn't an alpha female. She didn't take shit and said what she thought about things but she wasn't the alpha leader type.

Lily wasn't really an alpha female to me neither. She took charge and everything but that was probably only because her dad thought his big girl should do so. He wanted her to be a brave fighter pilot but she ended up dealing with bureaucrats and plane maintenance instead. I think she's insecure and doesn't handle well under pressure. But she held down the group good a while under EP2 handling the food and whatnot.

well i think Carley was taking the crown as the dominant female in the group and lilly couln't take it so she shot her, if lilly didnt shoot her she wouldn't have been in charge any more

• I like Chuck. I don't care for the couple. And I can't say that I ever will.

Add Comment