User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS] Ep. 3 Carley/Doug... Relax.

posted by Fiddle Diddle on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Alright alright, I realize that a lot of you are upset about (please go away if you haven't played ep. 3) Carley and Doug. As far as I can tell, only about 101% of you think that what happened in ep. 3 was lazy screenplay. However, I think it'd be better for everyone's sanity if we just try to interpret this differently.

Carley and Doug are cool, but let's face it, they're minor characters. Despite this, they're still not the same character, so stop calling them Carley/Doug. There is at least one big difference I can think of: Carley insists that you share your past with the group. I haven't done my Doug play-through yet but I can't imagine him doing the same because he simply doesn't know about you. I'll rescind this if somebody is willing to correct me here.

Yet still, they are minor characters. They don't have *much* time to develop (well, at least more than Chet, come on people), and they pretty much kick the bucket in identical fashion. Their fate still serves a purpose though. Admit it, your jaw dropped. It was shocking. But more than that, it represents the imminent disintegration of the group.

Most importantly, we should be thinking of what happened to Carley and Doug less in terms of themselves and more in terms of what it means to other, more substantial characters. Without spoiling anything else, Lilly and Ben in particular will be affected depending on how you handle things.

So, no, stop it, don't angrily slam your keyboard against the wall. Go outside for a walk, take a deep breath, admit that I'm right :cool:

55 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • But....that was the climax of a story arc. An arc that had been brewing for the whole series. Lilly's struggle to maintain control and power, exacerbated by her father's death.

• @darkpesmerga said: I don't mind they killed carley but, i believe doug and carley should have least lasted till Ep. 5 or Ep 4. not because they should not die, but because more time to get attached while still being around familiar faces you trust. Now i just feel screw liking them they will die. Even if this is walking dead universe he at least waits to the climax of an ark to kill of characters you like.

This.

I would have been fine with Carley dying later, but episode 3 of 5. Please. They just replaced a workable character with some other shoddy selections of unlikable characters.

• @Dyslexsick said: This.

I would have been fine with Carley dying later, but episode 3 of 5. Please. They just replaced a workable character with some other shoddy selections of unlikable characters.

Agreed the only character i feel any bond with that is left is clem. kinda liking kenny now after what happen to him.

• @ComixFan said:

It wreaks of poor narrative development; I would even go so far as to say no attempts were made to find another way because of deadlines, i.e. dropping an episode once a month.

You, sir, are wrong.

Actually, the scenario is written to the end of the story. It has been stated in an interview with the guy making the script.

• Yeah the script isn't being written as each episode is developed.

Their script and a development design document. Has prolly been around since before the dev team even got started.

• Jeez, do people really think that episodic stuff just happens in a vacuum? "What's gonna happen in the finale? Anyone write that yet? We don't have a finale? Dear god, what are we going to do now?"

• It became clear in this episode that the choices you make have very, very, very little impact on the game. And that's pretty disappointing considering the developers' ad nauseum claims to the contrary.

I loved Episodes 1 and 2, and was quite excited for this one, but my level of engagement has now plummeted. In addition to the unfortunate revelation that the developers were only TALKING a big a game about the importance of choices, the script in this episode was rather lame as well. The quality and authenticity of the dialogue just wasn't there.

I'm likely to finish out Episodes 4 and 5, just because I've already invested this much time in it, but I'm sorely disappointed and probably won't return for the "second season."

• @RaceCarAndyMan said: It became clear in this episode that the choices you make have very, very, very little impact on the game. And that's pretty disappointing considering the developers' ad nauseum claims to the contrary.

I loved Episodes 1 and 2, and was quite excited for this one, but my level of engagement has now plummeted. In addition to the unfortunate revelation that the developers were only TALKING a big a game about the importance of choices, the script in this episode was rather lame as well. The quality and authenticity of the dialogue just wasn't there.

I'm likely to finish out Episodes 4 and 5, just because I've already invested this much time in it, but I'm sorely disappointed and probably won't return for the "second season."

You'll be back lol, and then if something you don't like happens in season 2 you'll complain and say something like this again.:D

• @ItsMeArmani said: You'll be back lol, and then if something you don't like happens in season 2 you'll complain and say something like this again.:D

You're free to think what you want (grating and obnoxious as it is to break out an emoticon and offer up a smarmy remark), but no, I most likely won't be. I chose a career path that isn't financially rewarding, so 5 bucks is not insignificant to me. If I didn't have so much OCD about completing something, I would've stopped after Episode 3.

• @Fiddle Diddle said: Exactly my point! Their deaths are not pointless, they serve to affect other characters. BTW, I think there's more to Lilly's involvement than just "being ejected from the story." I think that Lilly is coming back, and depending on how you treat her after she gets all trigger-happy will determine how she comes back.

Yet it was STILL heart-wrenching to see them go. That despair you feel happens all the time when we look at the real world and see meaningless there too. Let's just let the storytellers do their job; they developed Carley and Doug as much as they wanted to. Now it's time to develop more characters and keep the revolving doors swinging.

What?? Lilly is coming back to the group?? Over my dead body! Please tell me that I have the option to reject this! Or die trying. I won't allow her to be back to my group. If I am forced to let her in, then I guess no more TWD for me.

@Fiddle Diddle said: Admittedly, I replayed that part of the episode like 5 times in an effort to either prevent anyone from dying or just get Ben killed instead. After I figured that it was impossible to save Carley, I figured that I better side with Poor Ben because I knew that he'd be sticking with me.

Wait, so you sold out and ass-kissing Ben? I'm really sorry for sounding condescending but wow man. Just wow.

Add Comment