User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 10.3K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • "Shawn will remember that"
    Dies moments later.

    The only thing that changes is maybe slight dialogue variation. Like everyone's been saying, its an interactive movie.

  • This game is extremely light on gameplay. A few quicktime events and some clicking get you through the zombie encounters. The puzzles are extremely simple and require almost no problem solving ability. The only thing that was left to make this game different or endearing was the potential of the choice system which turned out to be just cosmetic.

  • @idonotexist said: This game is extremely light on gameplay. A few quicktime events and some clicking get you through the zombie encounters. The puzzles are extremely simple and require almost no problem solving ability. The only thing that was left to make this game different or endearing was the potential of the choice system which turned out to be just cosmetic.

    Yep. They sold this game on the strength of choices that "matter," and then don't give you any real ones. This isn't going to ruin my life, but it did annoy me enough to hop onto this forum, so I certainly felt frustrated as a customer.

  • Agreed with dubesor, Im betting if you were with Kenny 100% of the time or 0% of the time he will still let you on his boat in the end if he even makes it to the end and if we truly are heading toward the boat -_-

    False advertising, Doesn't matter if the characters hate or love you, any decision they make will not be affected on how you treated them.

    Shame TTG, but still, if this was advertised as an interactive story, it would be brilliant :)

    Season 2 will probably do the same thing, and if it does, im not getting it, Im watching it on youtube since I know any choice I make *and shout at the screen for the guy to hopefully pick it xD* that differs on who I'm watching will still be the same in the long run.

    I will however finish season 1 for ep 4 and 5 since Im a bit too invested into the game though :P

    To tell you the truth, ME3 does a much better job with choices, and 90% of the time its an action game! This game is being powered by a "choice" system that simply doesn't exist, without having to go through the work to make it some interactive shooter like ME3, and your telling me its still too much work to implement major choices?

    *Facepalm* >.>

  • @kongdong said: I found this from someone else that sums it up pretty accurately. look at the 3rd graph to see how 'choices' matter.

    jlr3y.jpg

    Realistically, WD would probably be between 2 and 3, it is NOT as linear as shown, if it was that, there would be zero consequences for anything done at all. Walking Dead has people saying different things about you/the Carly Doug thing for it.

    Also, Its interesting how so many people wish the game had choices that effect the story, but then flat out ignore the story anyway to complain about the choices. You were going to ignore the choices anyway, so why complain? Oh, because that dumb chick died in a quick and nonpainful way over say... being beaten to death with a baseball bat... or decapitated... or freaking raped!

    Honestly, I would think you'd want Carly dead so she doesn't have to suffer anymore...

    @kongdong said: To tell you the truth, ME3 does a much better job with choices, and 90% of the time its an action game! This game is being powered by a "choice" system that simply doesn't exist, without having to go through the work to make it some interactive shooter like ME3, and your telling me its still too much work to implement major choices?

    Wow, ME3's brilliant system of "here's a bar, get it full or die!" choice system was brilliant! I especially loved how the choices didn't change anything at all! I especially loved how ME3 copied and pasted the combat over from ME2 and called it a day! That was brilliant work done right there!

    What I'm saying is ME3 wasn't that good and you should've used ME2 as your example instead :P

  • @Gman5852 said: Realistically, WD would probably be between 2 and 3, it is NOT as linear as shown, if it was that, there would be zero consequences for anything done at all. Walking Dead has people saying different things about you/the Carly Doug thing for it.

    Also, Its interesting how so many people wish the game had choices that effect the story, but then flat out ignore the story anyway to complain about the choices. You were going to ignore the choices anyway, so why complain? Oh, because that dumb chick died in a quick and nonpainful way over say... being beaten to death with a baseball bat... or decapitated... or freaking raped!

    Honestly, I would think you'd want Carly dead so she doesn't have to suffer anymore...

    its not ignoring the story to want a different choice that has a different impact, its about changing the story, and that doesn't mean i want a choice to save everybody so at the end of the game i collect them all, i just want to choose my torture

  • @CrazyGamerzPC said: Agreed with dubesor, Im betting if you were with Kenny 100% of the time or 0% of the time he will still let you on his boat in the end if he even makes it to the end and if we truly are heading toward the boat -_-

    False advertising, Doesn't matter if the characters hate or love you, any decision they make will not be affected on how you treated them.

    Shame TTG, but still, if this was advertised as an interactive story, it would be brilliant :)

    Season 2 will probably do the same thing, and if it does, im not getting it, Im watching it on youtube since I know any choice I make *and shout at the screen for the guy to hopefully pick it xD* that differs on who I'm watching will still be the same in the long run.

    I will however finish season 1 for ep 4 and 5 since Im a bit too invested into the game though :P

    To tell you the truth, ME3 does a much better job with choices, and 90% of the time its an action game! This game is being powered by a "choice" system that simply doesn't exist, without having to go through the work to make it some interactive shooter like ME3, and your telling me its still too much work to implement major choices?

    *Facepalm* >.>

    It's hilarious that you're comparing this to Mass Effect. You do realize Mass Effect has EA backing them, right? There's also the fact that this game was half the price of a Mass effect game.

    Hell, in my opinion, Episode 3 had much more of an emotional impact than any of the Mass Effect games.

  • @Marleysativa said:
    Hell, in my opinion, Episode 3 had much more emotion than any of the Mass Effect games.

    This this this.

    And on a note about your choices not effecting things, consider this: Carley was dead and gone in episode 1 for me. Doug was around for a whole two more episodes, just thanks to one choice. If that isn't a choice mattering, I don't know what is.

    Besides, Mass Effect 3 was just about as bad as this, if not worse.

  • @Merc said: This this this.

    And on a note about your choices not effecting things, consider this: Carley was dead and gone in episode 1 for me. Doug was around for a whole two more episodes, just thanks to one choice. If that isn't a choice mattering, I don't know what is.

    Besides, Mass Effect 3 was just about as bad as this, if not worse.

    but mass effect wasn't just a string of choices like TWD game, so it is easier to have meaningful changes when you cant just explore every part of the galaxy whenever you feel lie it

  • I also bought the game based on the choices affecting outcome marketing.

    The VERY FIRST thing you see when you load a new chapter is:

    This game series adapts to the choices you make.
    The story is tailored to how you play.

    This is pretty much a lie. It should read something like:

    This game series flavors the experience from the choices you make.
    The story is colored by how you play.

    I'm still having fun with the game, but like a poster above me, it annoyed me enough to post about it. In my opinion, it wouldn't be difficult to create a few set pieces per episode and then focus all attention into story and branching. And also like a poster above me, I'd be happy with an "A or B" branch -- I don't need "A, B, C, D, E, F", though I remain unconvinced that it would be such a monumental hurdle to overcome.

    I don't think the choices would necessarily have to become a logisitical nightmare the longer the story went on -- I think creative writing and what kind of choices you actually present could take care of a lot of those problems.

    And I would hope sophisticated enough tools are available to the designers that allows writers to basically load a set piece (after completed by level designers), place characters and script the scenes. I would imagine the tool could be simple enough that if it were released, the public could easily create their own episodes (hint, hint).

    You would have new models on occasion, but most animations should be done by now and with a good base of generic assets and a decent level editor, you can create a lot of different types of locales. Maybe the voice acting takes too long / is too expensive.

    Like I said, still having fun with the game, but the source world/material of The Walking Dead is so rich its kind of disappointing we don't have some real branching. Maybe on the last episode, they'll go crazy (we can hope.)

    inb4 "make your own game" (which is on my long-term agenda.)

Add Comment