User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 10.1K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @CrazyGamerzPC said: Shame TTG, but still, if this was advertised as an interactive story, it would be brilliant :)

Watch playing dead episode 1, it was advertised as such.
    I believe they likened it to a couple different things: A long form story, and an interactive tv show.

There are several threads complaining about the choices, I think the people making the complaints should go (re)watch Playing Dead episode 1 and episode 2 which came out well before the first episode of the game.

• @Gman5852 said: Realistically, WD would probably be between 2 and 3, it is NOT as linear as shown, if it was that, there would be zero consequences for anything done at all.

I haven't seen any real consequence so far. You choose which character dies when. It's happened once. If I had the option to keep someone alive or kill someone then I'd be pretty much satisfied.

I keep mentioning that when I saw the bandits in the camp I fully expected to have to make a judgment call. There was a lot of walkers and lead flying. If I could have chosen st save someone then I would have been pretty much satisfied. Grated some other things about the game would have still frustrated me but I might be able to say that all in all I enjoyed it.

Here's what I really would have liked to happen: Larry doesn't get executed by the hand of fate. He continues to hate me and goes on and continues to sabotage me at every turn. He makes my life a living hell and then finally, I get the opportunity to let him die. If I want to I can justify it because he's a danger to Lee and his surrogate daughter. And if I dont I can justify that because I'm just better than that.

And then maybe he shoots Carly in the face, or throws me to the walkers 2 seconds before the game ends. Or maybe he saves my life, or someone else's. And I get to think about those possibilities until it happens.

But none of those things is going to happen. Whatever's SET to happen is going to happen. So why do I care? Oh there might be something tacked on for episode 5, some big decision you get to make, but it wont take you back more checkpoint to get all the possible endings.

• I see this game branching....But in the last episode. I figure they will take one of two routes for the split...

1 They will simply have a number of decisions that split the game at that point regardless of what you have done previously.

2 They will pretend to make your choices matter by tallying up your choices and grading them. This will create branches for "you are a jerk", "you just let things happen around you", "you tried to play hero", and so on.

• @kongdong said: I found this from someone else that sums it up pretty accurately. look at the 3rd graph to see how 'choices' matter.

jlr3y.jpg

agreed. After Carley died, and episode 3, i might as well be watching a movie, seeing as nothing i do means crap.

• For the diagram above:

1) IS practically infeasible, especially for an indie dev house
    2) THat branching out. Looks to me to appear to be two different games. That's jsut not doable
    3)That's not an accurate depiction of the branching that happens in TWD
    It's just not that simple
    It's more like several small tangents come off off those little balls based of the choices you make, then come back and merge with the next major event.

Honestly, to the people complaining. Your logic is invalid. You're askin for an Open-World RPG not a graphic adventure game, which TWD has always been advertised as. It's choice system is pretty advanced for that genre.

Basically you're praying and hoping an apple is going to turn into an orange. And when it doesn't you get angry. TTG is an independent game studio that makes ADVENTURE games. With a fraction of the budget of the developers of most mainstream titles. Jesus Christ, your lack of appreciation is sickening!

• why didn't he grab the saw or a woody thing to smash zombies' heads trying to get in the farm? When I firstly played ep 1, I was looking for the saw as a first thing ^^^ but :O

• @LokiHavok said: For the diagram above:

1) IS practically infeasible, especially for an indie dev house
    2) THat branching out. Looks to me to appear to be two different games. That's jsut not doable
    3)That's not an accurate depiction of the branching that happens in TWD
    It's just not that simple
    It's more like several small tangents come off off those little balls based of the choices you make, then come back and merge with the next major event.

Honestly, to the people complaining. Your logic is invalid. You're askin for an Open-World RPG not a graphic adventure game, which TWD has always been advertised as. It's choice system is pretty advanced for that genre.

Basically you're praying and hoping an apple is going to turn into an orange. And when it doesn't you get angry. TTG is an independent game studio that makes ADVENTURE games. With a fraction of the budget of the developers of most mainstream titles. Jesus Christ, your lack of appreciation is sickening!

I don't think many people are asking for decisions that will branch off at every episode into a situation where you have hundreds of scenarios. But when you end episode 3 and the situation is the same no matter how you played it, that seems like you're not really making a difference with your choices, because at the end of the day you're all in the same place.

• The more I hear, the less these arguments make sense.

We all have different stories. Which means our choices mattered.

• @TheWildcard said: I see this game branching....But in the last episode. I figure they will take one of two routes for the split...

1 They will simply have a number of decisions that split the game at that point regardless of what you have done previously.

2 They will pretend to make your choices matter by tallying up your choices and grading them. This will create branches for "you are a jerk", "you just let things happen around you", "you tried to play hero", and so on.

I think that the second scenario is likely.

I also think that this linear issue isn't one that will ever be resolved on this board to anyone's satisfaction. It cannot be disputed that the way this game was advertised was problematic. This is evidenced by the split amongst the community.

I have been on this board for about 4 days and have seen the point argued no less than 10 times in different threads with viewpoints from both sides. I stand by my original opinion and don't plan on restating it or arguing it again.

From where I sit, it is an incredibly bad choice on the part of TTG to not address their method of marketing, either in the form of modifying future sales pitches or by modifying the game itself.

There are too many people arguing both sides for the issue to not warrant any action.

• Episode one wasn't as linear since we could have chosen different ppl ( Doug and Carley ) and saving Carley made Lee talk more about his past...etc....and after ep 3 everything went downhill...back to linear...hopefully things will change a bit in ep 4 like either leaving Omid to die...or choosing to save him...etc

Add Comment