User Avatar Image

TWD Episode 3 Won't Continue from Previous Saves!

posted by eddyc123 on - last edited - Viewed by 4.4K users

I bought the walking dead a few days ago (just before release) and completed episode 1 and 2 with no issues in one day.

I then finished the walking dead episode 2 and it simply takes me back to the main screen and Episode 3 says COMING SOON. If I re-launch the game, Episode 3 I can play but it says "Generate random story decisions for skipped episodes" so it will not continue with my choices.

I have tried this "continue" option 3 times to no avail. I even used the "rewind" feature on a copy of the save and it deleted the save! :< HELP MEEEE there is nothing as annoying than buying a game you cannot play :<

Has anyone else had this on the PC version (bought with steam).

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Sorry to sound nasty, but I'm clearly frustrated by this. My problem is the same as the above person who said their choices from Episode 1(Carley/Doug) is wrong even though I was able to restore my previously lost saved game(another headache) the same way they did. This is for PC. I'm very turned off by this, I hate having to scavenge through folders like this is Windows 95 and I can't get Master of Magic to run...

• There have not been any useful replies from anyone at Telltale to the problem described in the first post. Like several other posters, I can see previous save game files from when I played through episode 1 and 2 months ago. However, the game will not recognize their existence, behaving as if I'd never played the game before.

I strongly suspect bzenji is correct in saying that the "prefs.prop" file stores references to the save game files and something has caused it to be corrupted or incorrectly overwritten on a number of systems, rendering the intact save game files completely unusable. If I had made a backup of that file before I noticed any problems, perhaps I could restore it as a workaround, but by the time I noticed any problem, it was too late.

If that is the case, Telltale needs to provide us with some way of making our existing save game files usable again. If they do not, I will demand my money back. I have dealt with plenty of buggy games before and will use workarounds if necessary, but I will not accept a situation where a buggy game can unexpectedly render all previous progress useless with no workaround.

• This problem can escalate quickly, too - this happened after I installed Windows 8. With the new OS being rolled out to customers, more people will certainly face the same issues.

• So just to be clear, here in the support forum, there is no remedy for the issue of restored, formerly lost PC version saved games (by way of time stamping and file replacement) that show your applied choices in the "in the last episode of the Walking Dead..." i.e. you saved Carley not Doug, but when the gameplay begins Doug is alive and none of your previous choices from Eps. 1 and 2 carry over? Can anyone explain this to me?

• @jonathanrrogers

[LIST=1]
    [*]My problem was different. TWD created a whole new save folder, so I had to roll back my old save folder and overwrite the contents of my new save folder with the old save folder contents.

[*]If that didn't work for people, TWD seems to have altered some prefs.prop files in save folders so that it forgot there were old saves and started counting up from save_1 again. The solution was to roll back the prefs.prop (or, more effectively, the ENTIRE FOLDER) to a previous version.
    [/LIST]

--------------------------------

Either way, I suggest everyone make a backup of their old save folder and then do the following two steps before giving up:

[LIST=1]
    [*]Right-Click old save folder --> Properties --> Previous Versions TAB --> 8/20/12 or earlier.

[*]And if that doesn't work, then continue forward to a Start Menu Search: save_ and look for the most recent one under Documents. Right-Click it --> Open File Location. Then copy and paste from the rolled back folder to overwrite the new save.
    [/LIST]

Of course, this won't work without previous versions saved, but it's a start that won't break anything.

• MINE FIXED ITSELF!?!?!?!

Here's what I did:

After trying numerous things, none of them worked, so all I did to fix mine on the PC was to hit rewind for Episode 2, and ran through the end bit (for the fifth time.) After this it did NOT run onto the next episode and even deleted my copy I was playing on at that time.

BUT when I launched the game the next day... the copy I was playing on re-appeared! AND it now said episode 3 and has got all my changes! Definitely a weird one!

It seems like everyone is having VERY similar issues, I hope you all can get lucky like I did!

• @bazenji said: @jonathanrrogers

[LIST=1]
    [*]My problem was different. TWD created a whole new save folder, so I had to roll back my old save folder and overwrite the contents of my new save folder with the old save folder contents.

[*]If that didn't work for people, TWD seems to have altered some prefs.prop files in save folders so that it forgot there were old saves and started counting up from save_1 again. The solution was to roll back the prefs.prop (or, more effectively, the ENTIRE FOLDER) to a previous version.
    [/LIST]

--------------------------------

Either way, I suggest everyone make a backup of their old save folder and then do the following two steps before giving up:

[LIST=1]
    [*]Right-Click old save folder --> Properties --> Previous Versions TAB --> 8/20/12 or earlier.

[*]And if that doesn't work, then continue forward to a Start Menu Search: save_ and look for the most recent one under Documents. Right-Click it --> Open File Location. Then copy and paste from the rolled back folder to overwrite the new save.
    [/LIST]

Of course, this won't work without previous versions saved, but it's a start that won't break anything.

I did not encounter a new save game folder. Rather, my scenario was what you describe second: I can see my save game files but the game doesn't seem to recognize them even though they have not been changed since it was updated with Episode 3. As I said, I do not have backups of any of the save game files or "prefs.prop" generated by Windows or otherwise. If the save game files had been corrupted by a mistake I had made, I wouldn't complain. If the save game files had been corrupted by a bug in the game, I'd complain but realize that there was no workaround. The situation I find myself in is that the save game files still exist uncorrupted (and I've made a backup of them now) but I do not know of any way to get the game to recognize them.

• I have the same problems on Mac.

• I have this same problem on the iPad. Anyone know how to fix it??? I've contacted support three times with no response :(

• I had the same problem with my Mac. I went back to the old episodes and checked the stats for each episode then tried to start episode 3 again and suddenly it worked.
    Good luck!

Add Comment