User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 4.0K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ unknowFox: well, i'd never expected such dramaticstics changes in the story line but at last i wished that i can alter it a little

@the wilcard: Yep ! This is why the ME fans gone wilds (i was one but hopefully after DA2 i waited for feedback before buy ME3). No, i'll not say "Tellatalle make the same mistake" but i'm not far for it. I will wait and see but so far what they have done in this episode (in matter of choices) is far to impress me...

The story is never tailored by any choices in the third chapter, take account please that i don't speak of little event or dialogue but the story herself.

I was advertised, like anyone here: the story will be tailored by the player's choices.
    Now look at the game at the end of the chapter three...
    What change between my saves, yours or anybody else, in term of story ?

Nothing... Tellatale got a lot of attention with this game, TWD was quoted numerous time, got a lot of positive critics (both professionnals and players), got awards. The cards are in their hand but i will play the two remaining chapters (only because i've a season pass) for what their are: a little interactive comic book and don't expect me to buy the second season...

• @malcom155 said: @ unknowFox:
    Nothing... Tellatale got a lot of attention with this game, TWD was quoted numerous time, got a lot of positive critics (both professionnals and players), got awards. The cards are in their hand but i will play the two remaining chapters (only because i've a season pass) for what their are: a little interactive comic book and don't expect me to buy the second season...

Lots of people will leave after season 1. I can not imagine people still paying them fot their lies..

• I still say that final judgement on this whole choice that are or are not real choices can only be given at the end of the story. If there is only one ending then sure, you have a fair reason to be upset. I personally believe that there will be more than one ending, though sometimes I wonder if I'm just hoping for hoping sake. Only time will tell.

• lots of people already leave now... look at the % on the succes page on steam, the numbers speaks themselves

@corruptbiggins: tailoring the end is not the same that tailoring the STORY (yep, it's the important word here... and i use only the word used in the advertising and palying dead); the end can be different but if the story leading to the end is always the same, TWD will only be an interactive comic, nothing more and i think this will be the case, chapter 3 show us this...

• @corruptbiggins said: I still say that final judgement on this whole choice that are or are not real choices can only be given at the end of the story. If there is only one ending then sure, you have a fair reason to be upset. I personally believe that there will be more than one ending, though sometimes I wonder if I'm just hoping for hoping sake. Only time will tell.

I more hope in patch..

• The story changes based on your actions. You get different dialogue, different cut scenes, different characters, different animations, different skins. You even get different endings. All of this with a game that is heavily animated.

The thing about the Fallout series? There are almost no cut scenes other than at the beginning and end of the games, and just like war, the cutscenes in the Fallout series never change. While you have different endings, all you get are brief paragraphs telling you what happened. And then the sequels all ignore your choices from other games and invent their own mythology. TWD has ENTIRE DIALOGUE ARCS recounting the choices you made at the end of each game. And subsequent games spontaneously start discussing choices you made in the first game.

Dragon Age never has new scenes at a location after you've made a significant decision. You can go back and people will recognize what you said, but only in dialogue boxes or floating words over their heads. Only two events are significantly altered within the story based on choices you make, and only one of those has any effect on subsequent games. As for the ending, it's pretty much just multiple choice/Batman gambit.

The only game with significantly altered and further recognized endings that also includes cutscenes within the game is the Mass Effect series, which is a unique and special game in the industry. It's the only game that surpasses TWD with regard to choice affecting the story, the cinematic nature, and subsequent stories within the series.

That's it. Only Mass Effect does what TWD does as well as TWD does it, and you can level the same complaints in Mass Effect against its strongest elements. ______ always dies no matter what you do. ______ always dies no matter what you do.

But that doesn't matter in the long run. The people complaining about why ME3 garnered such ire don't seem to know why that movement was started. People forget that the reason ME3 pissed most of us off isn't because it was sad, although there were people who were angry about that. It was because the game ignored what you did at the end. What you're doing now, by complaining about Carley getting shot and Lilly running away? That's moving the goalposts. That's raising the bar above its competitors. That's changing the rules so that your pet peeve sounds more justified.

But it's not. You're not complaining about lies you've been told. You're complaining that the game is paying out on the emotional capital you invested. You're complaining that the game is succeeding in what it set out to do.

The TWD is doing what it said it would do better than almost every other game in the industry. And if the end of the game is a series of cutscenes that reflects your choices from throughout the series, it will have done so better than the final chapter of the premiere interactive narrative in the industry.

Not bad for an indie developer.

• @Funatick said: I loved ep1 but now I am start thinking my love is only gold digger. Your choices matter? I yesterday tried to play ep1 withouch choice anything but game continued like normal even I let all dialoues pass so your choices definetly matter a lot:D I also started to play Fallout yesterday and I enjoyed it a way more than TWD...

Ok, well Fallout is a completely different series/genra of game than TWD, so I don't see why that matters.

• @bazenji: events change yes, but look at the end of the third chapter, we all have the same results; it's a fact.
    The STORY (again, it's the important word here) don't change, we are all at the same point, with the same characters (alive or dead), i don't say TWD is not a good game, their writers are excellent, but i'd don't buy the game to have an interactive book...
    I'd buy a game with a story i can influence (even a litlle).
    If you have a different character alive, if you have find different equipment or if you are in a different final point, tell me how i can reach this result. You will be alone in this case...
    the STORY, not events or dialogue (yes i repeat myself alot because it seems necessary) don't change no matter what you do.

I will not speak of ME because it's not the place for and i don't really care now... ME is an average game with a dumb ending who was overhyped, nothing more.
    And fallout is a different kind of game with a different budget, nothing to compare sorry

• @Gman5852 said: Ok, well Fallout is a completely different series/genra of game than TWD, so I don't see why that matters.

I am not racist so I dont chose games by gendre. I just need have fun playing it...

• Funatick: you make a point...

Add Comment