User Avatar Image

"WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" error

posted by Mike on - last edited - Viewed by 15K users

Hi,

We are currently investigating what is causing this to happen for a small percentage of the userbase for The Walking Dead, and we apologize for the inconvenience. There's a few fixes outlined in the technical support FAQ here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29368

If those fixes aren't working for you, please reply to this thread and let me know me know what kind of hardware or software security your system is using. I need the following information:

1: Are you using a software firewall? If so, have you allowed access to the game?

2: Do you have anti-virus software? If so, who makes it? Is it up to date? Is it blocking access to our game?

3: Does the game work if you run it while disconnected from the Internet?

I don't need DXDiag information or any other system specific info apart from the information requested above. Please, no discussion of the issue in this thread. It's to gather information only.

Thanks,
Mike

137 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hi @ all

My Walking Dead won´t start after steam update too
    im using win7 64Bit and have tried out the most of them what was wrote down on page 1 in here.

The only way to get my game back startet was to set the compatibility mode for WalkingDead101.exe to windowsxp service pack2 but if i use this settings the game starts
    1. in a Window (ok, can be set to normal fullscreen and resolution via game settings menu)
    2. overwrites my prefs.prop file in my documents floder at first startup so that the game can not use my old savegames if i overwrite the prefs.prop with my backup from last month it will be overwritten by the game at next startup again. Have tried to replace a new savegame created today with a renamed old savegame but thats dosn´t works too.
    3. so i have to play the game from the beginning to restore my storyline in the game or to wait until the file is fixed for win7 64bit so that i can start the game without any compatibility mode.

So i actually have restored my backupfiles from the walking dead save floder and
    wait with a cup of tea ;)

• Hi,

I got the same problem after ep3 and this is how I resolved it. I'm using steam in win7/64. I hope this works for you too.

1. Copy your savefiles the whole Telltale Games folder to desktop.

2. Uninstall the game.

3. Run RegClean or something like that program and delete all Telltale games reg files or Walking dead files.

4. Find every Talltale games folder and delete them from my documents (I did find 2 actully from different places) Using Search will help you. But do not delete copyed folder from desktop.

5. Install the game.

6. If game wont start run it as win98 / ME compatibility mode.

7. Start the game and shut it.

8. Now there should be Telltale Games folder at my documents. Copy your backup folder from desktop to documents folder and over write it if possible.

9. Start the game again. Press paly and if you dont have your save files there (i didnt) shut the game.

10. Now go documents folder and now there should be 2 Telltale games folders. In one Telltale games folder there should be your savefiles under "The Walking Dead" folder and another Telltale games folder should have "the walking dead" folder what game greated after last startup.

11. Copy all files from "The Walking Dead" folder to "the walking dead" folder and delete old Telltale Games folder where is The Walking Dead folder completly.

12. Start the game. Now your resolution, settings and savegames should be there and working correctly.

This is how I get my game working.

• 1: Are you using a software firewall? If so, have you allowed access to the game? Just windows firewall on 7 but I turned it off and still get the issue.

2: Do you have anti-virus software? If so, who makes it? Is it up to date? Is it blocking access to our game? Microsoft Essentials but turned off

3: Does the game work if you run it while disconnected from the Internet? No

The windows 98 compatibility thing fixed it but its still annoying that it didn't work as soon as I downloaded it on my win7 64 bit

• 1: Are you using a software firewall? If so, have you allowed access to the game?

Turned off

2: Do you have anti-virus software? If so, who makes it? Is it up to date? Is it blocking access to our game?

Turned off

Yes it does. But I'd rather not.

• 1: Are you using a software firewall? If so, have you allowed access to the game? Yes, yes, does not matter if I have it on or off.

2: Do you have anti-virus software? If so, who makes it? Is it up to date? Is it blocking access to our game? Yes, AVG. Yes, No, Turned off or on does not help.

No. Game does not work, connected or not connected.

I have tryed to change the game to run in Windows 98/ME it does run but soon as I try to load my save, it just goes to a black screen, I can not do anything other than alt to my desktop and end the task, that says its "working".

*STEAM USER*

• WARNING: DO NOT PLAY IN WINDOWS 7 COMPABILITY MODE, THE GAME CHANGES YOUR CHOICES AND FORCES DECISIONS YOU NEVER WANTED ----> READ THIS POST I POSTED, THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32917

• 1: Are you using a software firewall? If so, have you allowed access to the game?
    yes, i've allowed access to the game

yes,its AVG and its up to date. i dont believe its blocking access to the game

sometimes, it goes on and off repeatedly

• the game only runs if i run it in winxp mode but then it wont recognize the saves.... Are the people at telltale even doing anything about this, this has been going on for days and so many people have problems

No, I've deactivated my firewall.

Yes, I'm using an uptodate Version of Antivir.

No, unfortunately this didn't help.

• I tried every step from the forum link and it's still not working. Also, I played the first two episodes without issue.

1. Firewall yes, exception yes. I've tried it with the firewall off, same problem

2. Antivirus yes, AVG free, yes it's updated and no it's not blocking

3. I've disconnected the internet before I launched steam, still didn't work and I've disconnected after I launched steam but before launching the game, same thing

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.