User Avatar Image

[SPOILER]Chuck/Charles - character/predictions

posted by zgamer on - last edited - Viewed by 679 users

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Chuck at all. I like having someone who is generally optimistic and easy going. After all the stuff that happened in this episode, it's a welcomed attribute to have. Having a hobo is a nice change of character types in this story too. And he's voiced by the Bastion narrator? Awesome!

My problem with Chuck, however, is how his character integrated into the plot and his character growth. It feels like he was kind of forced in just to be the "magical mystical" character. You know what I mean. The "comes in and convenient solves problems" kind of guy. Movies have used the "magical mystical gay guy/old man/Morgan Freeman/etc" for years so I think we can recognize them. It's not a bad character, but sometimes a too convenient character.

Here's some things that bugged me about it:

- Somehow he manges to talk to everybody in the minute Lee walked to the boxcar and became everyone's best friend by giving them candy

- Raises no qualms about stealing his house, supplies or anything. I didn't expect a fight or anything, but maybe a bit more concern on his part.

- Has to have a pointed moment where he speaks the voice of reason and fixes all the problems immediately facing Clementine

- Mostly speaks in cryptic thoughtful dialogue. It's good dialogue, but it doesn't reveal much about his character

- No real character progression to speak of. Pretty much unchanged by the events around him. Yes he wasn't in it a lot but he was present for some big moments. Even Ben had character growth for his small role.

I'd be fine having him around, but I really hope they give him more of a personality and traits to make him a developed character instead of a convenient plot device. There's great potential for him. It just needs to be realized.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?

42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • He's keeping his past a secret says he hasn't seen his family in 14 years but when you first enter the train cab there's a pic of chuck his wife and 2 kids above the savannah map but after you meet chuck its gone

• I just find it slightly depressing that we lost Doug/carly, katja, duck and lilly and (and in the episode before that we lost mark and larry) and all we got from this was Chuck, Omar and what's her face? 0_o?

• He just seems to be the laid-back type of person. It seems that no kind of conversation fazes him.

• I think meeting a homeless man who is taking shelter in an abandoned train is somewhat plausible. Candy is probably one of the few calorie sources that has yet to spoil and he was probably observing the group for awhile before deciding that we were okay to approach...keep in mind Charles is alone, unarmed and not used to being around people.

I mean....if a fellow survivor approaches you, says "hi", is holding a guitar when you have a gun, and offers you some of what little food he has...is he unfriendly and not to be trusted or even liked?

• @clutch rooster said: there's a pic of chuck his wife and 2 kids above the savannah map but after you meet chuck its gone

I was sure the picture was from the train conductor with the smashed head.
    Wouldn't make sense for Charles to climb over the conductor, place a picture on the wall, climb over again without moving him... His pictures would be at his place in the boxcar.

So yea, that picture isn't chucks

• I'm with Clem and Lee - open eyes and mind, judgment pending.

@clutch rooster said: ...there's a pic of chuck his wife and 2 kids above the savannah map but after you meet chuck its gone

That was the train conductor's family and the photo only disappeared after Kenny lost Katjaa and Duck. It's reasonable to assume he took down the happy family picture, as he's the one sitting there.

• ....I like chuck.
    I think he's a really good man, But I think he has something that he didn't tell us. He acts ... Weird.
    When he was approached Lee In the wagon I really thought he'd pull out a knife and Stab him in the heart. But I like him. He's a drunk, Yes, But He's nice. He acts nice, And wants the best for everyone. But, Now about the thing he's keeping hid. I think he has a dark secret yet to be revealed... What If he is a murderer, Ready to kill the group? What if, More people came that way, And decided to reside in the wagon, But he killed them.
    I really think there's something dark about him. Let's see what telltale has In for us...
    No haters please.

• Yeah, there does seem something wrong with him... Maybe I'm just paranoid.

There are theories that he's the St Johns Dad but not confirmed.

• I think there's more to him than meets the eye.

It's also possible he's the guy on the radio.... That radio can't have a long range.

• @DreadMagus said: I think there's more to him than meets the eye.

It's also possible he's the guy on the radio.... That radio can't have a long range.

Yeah, There can be that. Maybe he has a dual personality?
    Telltale makes us think..

Add Comment