User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 3.9K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @shadowflux: i'll repeat myself again... I don't want an open world, i have skyrim for that, i don't want an RPG, i will have baldur's gate redux for that and i already have the witcher 2, i want an adventure game where my choices tailor the story.
    I have nothing to say about characters death, at last as long as it suits the story.

@deadfan: i remember the old dragon's lair ^^ (the first one of course...)
    I agree with you, in fact all decisions are impactless now (at last until we see the end but i don't expect better than that). Their is no good or bad answer, good or bad choices, the STORY never change (and yes, i repeat again, the story, not events, not diaogues). I wasn't expecting a second path in the game (like the witcher 2) but at last, a change in the cast (Carley/Doug) changing a little bit the rest.
    But no...

You have an impact in the game same as you would on the comic: nothing...
    You can play the game without answering anything to anyone. What is TWD ? An adventure game or an comic with little interaction ?

• @malcom155 said: You can play the game without answering anything to anyone. What is TWD ? An adventure game or an comic with little interaction ?

Its hybrid weak adventure overaimed at story

• @Funatick said: Yeah, but they mostly kicked own balls with advert choices matter, because from their point of view you can advert every game in this way...

That's true to an extent.

• i believe episode 3 has proven that your choices don't matter, there has not been one choice that has changed the story in any way, you might as well just choose randomly, nothing you say or do has any affect even what you say to Clementine i am 99% sure has no affect, now the problem with going forward is that every time i get a "choice" i wont really care about what i choose because it doesn't change anything anyway.

i might as well be playing a normal point and click adventure game, and if i judge it by that criteria it has a great story but very poor puzzles

• In reading the earlier responses I do applaud TellTale for allowing for these subtle behavior differences in the dialogue, as it really helps shape my perception of the story on the outcome. My frustration remains however is that it's thinly veiled behind a storyline that will not change materially. Still there's good things in this mechanic and I hope TellTale takes this feedback to enhance it on further episodes.

• The biggest problem about choices in video games is pretty easily shown with a little math.

In episode 1 and 2:
    Say there were 10 choices with 2 possible outcomes(PO) that had a full game impact (i.e. safe Carley/Doug), 4 choices with 3 possible outcomes and 2 choices with even 4 possible outcomes just so we make sure pretty much everyone has a total unique experience.

Telltale would now already have to deal with 1.024 impact choices just from 2 PO choices (10^2).

Now come the 3 PO choices and these already have a real impact. They will rise the possible outcomes to 82.944, and adding the 4 PO choices will give Telltale the final number of 1.327.104 possible outcomes and game scenes to deal with, while still staying on track to keep the story together.

Even keeping it really civil, say we choose 4 choices with 2 PO and 2 with 3 PO, we still end up with 144 outcomes, game scenes, conversations and what not.

For now, this is an impossible task as most people should be able to understand.

I think Telltale closely watches what most players do and tailors the story around these choices, and that is how their statement should be understood.

• people realize there is literally no choice in the game besides seeing Carley or Doug live an extra 6 months, or seeing Clem wearing a hoodie or not. This game was advertised pretty much as a choice type of game, NOT an interactive movie/adventure. If it was advertised as an interactive movie/adventure I would be perfectly fine with it.

To sum it up, No matter what you do, no matter how you treat ANY character in this game, when it comes for them to make an important decision for you or the group , they only have 1 choice.

Odds are if you were a 100% dick to Kenny he will still let you ride on his boat if Kenny even makes it that far and if they even make it to the boat.

Hopefully Season 2 TTG will have more of a budget, and there will be more choice to the game.

Yes, SURE, the changed dialogue is awesome, but still, its only a little bit, and NONE of those changed dialogue parts actually changed anything in the story besides convincing Clem to take the supplies and then she wears a hoodie.

Alright, yes, "Welcome to the Walking Dead, where people often die!" But this isn't the issue, TTG is the issue when your choices don't mean shit!

• Again, i agree with you deadfan, nothing more to say, i would just add :the voice acting is really good.

@thestalkinghead: The second problem is the replayability. Now it's close to zero...

@8bit system: Stop exagerating please... Nobody ask for such thing ^^!
    I (and other i suppose) don't ask for such numerous outcome, look at my precedent post: i just ask to decide ONE time who live and who die and see consequences and outcomes until the end. None choice impact anything in the STORY. What we see in Playing Dead ? What we see when we launch the game ?

Story will be tailored by our choice.

So are we asking for the impossible ? Tellatale made the choice to say that but i can't see it anywhere in the game. What choice change anything ? (beside clem hoodie, which is just a graphical change) So our feedback is unjustified ?

• @8Bit_System said: The biggest problem about choices in video games is pretty easily shown with a little math.

In episode 1 and 2:
    Say there were 10 choices with 2 possible outcomes(PO) that had a full game impact (i.e. safe Carley/Doug), 4 choices with 3 possible outcomes and 2 choices with even 4 possible outcomes just so we make sure pretty much everyone has a total unique experience.

Telltale would now already have to deal with 1.024 impact choices just from 2 PO choices (10^2).

Now come the 3 PO choices and these already have a real impact. They will rise the possible outcomes to 82.944, and adding the 4 PO choices will give Telltale the final number of 1.327.104 possible outcomes and game scenes to deal with, while still staying on track to keep the story together.

Even keeping it really civil, say we choose 4 choices with 2 PO and 2 with 3 PO, we still end up with 144 outcomes, game scenes, conversations and what not.

For now, this is an impossible task as most people should be able to understand.

I think Telltale closely watches what most players do and tailors the story around these choices, and that is how their statement should be understood.

Omg I love this extremist... You make it sounds like middle way doesnt exist.

• @8Bit_System said: The biggest problem about choices in video games is pretty easily shown with a little math.

In episode 1 and 2:

its not an impossible task and not every choice will affect every other choice, and obviously there will be some things that they would always make us do, but what would have been so hard about giving doug or carley their own mission and making it so they have there own death not just identical copies. the fact is telltale make the world that Lee is in so they can easily give us choices that avoid interacting with other choices we could make.

and even if that means its is similar to making 3-4 games, thats fine because i have seen adventure games with way more scenes way more characters and not a bigger budget, why cant i have a choice of going north or south and then from that point have a very different story to the other choice, they could still meet up again but as long as there were some lasting affects of the choices you make it would make the choices matter.

Add Comment