User Avatar Image

So it seems to me it's impossible for people to hate the people who die

posted by Yertos on - last edited - Viewed by 228 users

Everyone hated Larry to the core in 1, talked about getting revenge and couldn't wait to kill him. Then in 2, everyone suddenly wants to save his life, and starts rationalizing his actions for leaving you for death and all the hate towards you.

Meanwhile everyone hates on Duck more then Ive ever seen to a video game child. Blaming him for Shaun's death, constantly berating him and was voted most hated and wished to die after Larry.

Then comes episode 3 and everyone is sad for his death, wishing they could save him, and everyone starts to like him.

I haven't seen anyone dislike Mark, Katjaa, Doug, or Carley either before or after their death. Not one person has died where people say "Good". I personally Think Kenny is next and everyone will get upset and sad again. I dunno if we all believe its wrong to talk bad about someone who died despite different opinions when their alive (MJ anyone?), or if its just very good writing.

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @der_ketzer said: Your thread failed at the first word. There is no "Everybody" not on the internet and not in the real world.



    Well sorry I don't have perfect grammar all the time.

  • @darham175 said: Since we're just blatantly saying kinda spoilers I'll go ahead and say that while I still blamed Duck for Shawn's death I had just gotten to find him amusing via his Robin to Lee's Batman and also his thinking I was incredibly awesome because I gave him a high five.



    The High Five. 'Nuff said :D:D:D

  • @Yertos said:

    Not one person has died where people say "Good".


    I said "good" when Larry and the St. John family died.

  • @kirby18 said: I think its just good writing. Well first of all although I hate Duck and hated larry, noone "deserves" to die especially since neither of them did any harm to the group. I feel bad for Duck now just because however annoying he was (and he was annoying) he did not deserve to die, nor did carly or katjaa



    It's not because of good writing. If anything it is because of bad writing.

    Let me explain.

    Up until this point characters that have died are only fleshed out in the same episodes that they die in.

    These characters haven't been given the time for their own arcs because of the 5 episode format.

    They only really have character before they die because the writers don't get enough freedom to allow gradual character development.

    Now, episode 3 starts to remedy this but I'm not going to go into how it does because most people won't likely agree with this viewpoint anyway.

  • @Yertos said: Everyone hated Larry to the core in 1, talked about getting revenge and couldn't wait to kill him. Then in 2, everyone suddenly wants to save his life, and starts rationalizing his actions for leaving you for death and all the hate towards you.

    Meanwhile everyone hates on Duck more then Ive ever seen to a video game child. Blaming him for Shaun's death, constantly berating him and was voted most hated and wished to die after Larry.

    Then comes episode 3 and everyone is sad for his death, wishing they could save him, and everyone starts to like him.

    I haven't seen anyone dislike Mark, Katjaa, Doug, or Carley either before or after their death. Not one person has died where people say "Good". I personally Think Kenny is next and everyone will get upset and sad again. I dunno if we all believe its wrong to talk bad about someone who died despite different opinions when their alive (MJ anyone?), or if its just very good writing.



    I never hated Duck, and i wanted LArry to soften up on me.

    But Ben, i want him dead. First time i took the cold option and tried to kill him

  • @Yertos said: Everyone hated Larry to the core in 1, talked about getting revenge and couldn't wait to kill him. Then in 2, everyone suddenly wants to save his life, and starts rationalizing his actions for leaving you for death and all the hate towards you.

    Meanwhile everyone hates on Duck more then Ive ever seen to a video game child. Blaming him for Shaun's death, constantly berating him and was voted most hated and wished to die after Larry.

    Then comes episode 3 and everyone is sad for his death, wishing they could save him, and everyone starts to like him.

    I haven't seen anyone dislike Mark, Katjaa, Doug, or Carley either before or after their death. Not one person has died where people say "Good". I personally Think Kenny is next and everyone will get upset and sad again. I dunno if we all believe its wrong to talk bad about someone who died despite different opinions when their alive (MJ anyone?), or if its just very good writing.



    You may want to lay off on the "Everyone". Not everyone thinks alike, and certainly not everyone thinks the way you state they did.

    For Larry I was only sad that his death wasn't more satisfying. I wanted that bastard to die screaming, I wanted him to see it coming.

    I Certainly never hated Duck, I never at any point found him remotely annoying. Maybe that's because I have a nephew who's a heck of a lot more annoying than that (he's still a lovable little scamp though), maybe it's because I have to put up with the little immortal turds found in Skyrim. But I seem to have a much higher tolerance for his childish playfulness.

    Since the premise of your question is flawed, I can't really answer it. I'll happily speak ill of the dead if I don't like them, but I also haven't felt the same way "everyone" has. Duck has always rocked and Larry can go swivel on it in hell.

  • I didnt feel sorry when Larry died...it was the uncontrollable situation and the ripple effects it had that I regretted (somewhat).
    Duck is just a kid and they are annoying at that age but on his defense, he hasnt been too much trouble since Ep1.

  • Seeing the characters develop was what did it, and how their deaths affected those that cared for them. Too bad Larry and Duck and everyone else who bit the bullet didn't get more screen time.

  • @darham175 said: Since we're just blatantly saying kinda spoilers I'll go ahead and say that while I still blamed Duck for Shawn's death I had just gotten to find him amusing via his Robin to Lee's Batman and also his thinking I was incredibly awesome because I gave him a high five.



    Batman reference and a high five... Telltale definitely know how to make an annoying character redeem himself :p

  • I wasn't too sad to see Larry go.

    I did try to save him... but it was all politics.... lol

Add Comment