User Avatar Image

Linux user and advenure game lover.

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 514 users

Hi there!

I am a Linux user from Sweden. I'm going to spare you the details of why I am not using Windows, but I let's just say that I got real tired of paying the Microsoft tax and that Linux fits my needs better. Everything would be really great in Linux-land except for one thing - games. Or rather, the lack of games. And that is why I am writing this post.

In my dreamworld all Telltale games will have native Linux ports. I really think there is a market for Linux games, and I think a lot of Linux users would love the kind of games I imagine Telltale will make - adventure games with lots of humor. Adventure games should be relatively easy to port, if I recall correct Escape from Monkey Island could render with OpenGL. Using OpenGL and not DirectX means having half the Linux port done. And having a native Linux port means that you almost have a Mac OS X port.

Ok, maybe I'm dreaming. But at very least, you could make sure that your games run on Linux with Transgaming's Cedega. I would really love to test the Hold Em-demo, but it is distributed in a .msi-file and I can't get it installing. (Maybe there is a way, but I want to be able to use point2play.)

To sum up. Native Linux ports and I will be Telltale's number one fan-boy and buy all of Telltale's games.. If the game is a new Sam n Max or Monkey Island it is quite possible that I will buy it if it runs with Cedega. But c'mon - id could make Doom 3 run nativly under Linux, I'm sure Telltale will bring the love back to adventure gaming and make Linux and Mac ports...

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Here's a wacky idea. Why don't you (Telltale) open source your game engine and you will have ports in no time. That doesn't mean you have to give away your games for free. You can still sell the game data (with ported engine). You can also keep the in-house tools you use to make the game closed if thats what you want.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]
    Ok, maybe I'm dreaming. But at very least, you could make sure that your games run on Linux with Transgaming's Cedega. I would really love to test the Hold Em-demo, but it is distributed in a .msi-file and I can't get it installing. (Maybe there is a way, but I want to be able to use point2play.)
    [/quote]
    I copied the installation over to my linux partition but the game wouldn't run with cedega :-(

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

No doubt it's the biggest flaw with the modern day OS market, incompatibility. You know the incompatability problems with older OS's and the internets endless sources of information,(that oftern can't agree), we are going to be losing a hell of a lot of history. I myself would love it if Macs could run EXEs, but that would require Direct X on Macs, and I'm sure microsoft hold some rights to it. I don't even know if mac runs DLLs. Ahhh well. Maybe one day in the distant future.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

>"[quote]No doubt it's the biggest flaw with the modern day OS market, incompatibility. You know the incompatability problems with older OS's and the internets endless sources of information,(that oftern can't agree)[/quote]"

It isn't easy to support programs written for an older OS (such as DOS) under a modern multi-taking OS (such as Linux/Window 2000). One of the reasons is that a modern OS makes so much more and protect running programs from each other.

In the old days you had do a lot of low level, close to the hardware, stuff to get something as sound or high resolution graphics in your programs. Today that is all taken care of by the OS and the OS will not let you try to take control over the hardware directly (that's a good thing).

>"[quote]we are going to be losing a hell of a lot of history.[/quote]"

Yes, that is a problem. That is why I love project like ScummVM. They have really saved LucasArt's classic games for the future.

>"[quote]I myself would love it if Macs could run EXEs, but that would require Direct X on Macs, and I'm sure microsoft hold some rights to it. I don't even know if mac runs DLLs. Ahhh well.[/quote]"

Macs have a completly different hardware architecture so they can't just run PC executebels. To be technical: they have a different instuction set and are not binary compatible.

The reason that you can run some modern Windows games under Linux is that they run on the same hardware and that somebody has made the effort to map some of the services that Windows provide (for graphics, sound, input etc) to equivalent services on Linux. So then the programs tries to call a Windows specific operation, for example "draw triangle with DirectX" it is tranformed to a "draw triangle with OpenGL" when the program runs on Linux.

>"[quote]Maybe one day in the distant future[/quote]"

When the hardware is fast enough to simulate older hardware in software we can hope for it. Somebody just have to write a good enough emulator. Not a easy task.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Yes. We need Linux/BSD ports. Myself, I am running Fedora Core, when I'm not feeling nostalgic in front of my old Slackware box. If native ports could be made for the upcoming Telltale adventures, I'd be ecstatic.

Considering that Escape from Monkey Island ran on OpenGL, and since noone wants to reinvent the wheel, I say it is quite likely that Freelance Police also used OpenGL for graphics. So if Telltale could pick up where they left off when leaving LucasArts, I think it could be a very portable game (meaning it could compile on Linux, Win32, BSD or any OpenGL-enabled OS with only minor differences for audio handling etc).

I for one am looking forward to seeing adventure games return, and I also think Linux users are the most likely customers, considering most of us have that wacky sense of humor commonly found in adventure games (and The Far Side, but that's beside the point), most of us have fond memories of Maniac Mansion, Loom and the other old LEC classics (and are running them again thanks to ScummVM), and most of us have a deeply felt gratitude and loyalty towards the (few) companies and development teams we choose to support. As such, we also constitute a powerful and free living ad campaign for those companies.

For me, the ultimate game release of the next year will hopefully be a boxed edition (ie sold in average computer stores, not just on the 'net) of with engines for Windows and Linux, and downloadable source to modify and compile on your operating system of choice (and all changes should of course be submitted back to Telltale and checked into CVS making the engine even more portable).

• I don't want to ruffle too many feathers, but.... here it goes anyway.

Personally, I think you guys are being a tiny bit too demanding. For myself, I much prefer OS X for the Mac - but I understand computer game economics. No adventure game company, especially not a brand new start-up, is going to spend the energy making a game that works on Linux or OS X, when 90% of the world uses a Microsoft OS. So, I own two computers. My Mac for all my basic needs - and my PC for games. My spending an extra $1000 bucks or so is a much easier way to ensure I can play all games that come out rather than demanding that my favorite games all be ported to other Operating Systems.

If Telltale had come out with their first game made for Linux or OS X, then it would have been a sure sign they were going in the tank. Bottom line - until someone can dethrown Bill Gates, the world runs on Windows, and Telltale must abide if they are going to survive.

Just one man's opinion.

• ugh macs. it's like people trying to hold onto betamax

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

I'm exactly the same spf, Mac for Net, Writing, Photoshop. Microsoft for solitaire.
    EDIT: To Alucard,
    Hey, Beta was far superior to VHS. Vhs only had a better marketing, and I don't know about you, but I think Mac has a great marketing campaign. Anyway, sounds like you were trying to flame the thread. Why?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I am a Linux user from Sweden. I'm going to spare you the details of why I am not using Windows[/quote] Uh, perhaps because you're a rational, intelligent human being rather than being a "Microsoft is God because Kim Komando thinks so" drone? [>:)]
    [quote]Everything would be really great in Linux-land except for one thing - games. Or rather, the lack of games. And that is why I am writing this post. [/quote] I do agree with you in principle. Economies of scale have to come into play, unfortunately. OS/2 users ran into the same mess 10 years ago. Same with Commodore 128 users. It all came down to "Why should we write games when you have full compatibility with another platform that is more popular?" Sadly, thanks to WINE and Cedega, companies have to struggle with that decision again - and we know which way smaller companies like TTG are going to have to go to survive in the near future.

But, who knows? If any of TTG's programmers are Linux freaks (as in super-uber-fans), maybe there is a Linux skunkworks project in progress. One can hope. :)

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]... and downloadable source to modify and compile on your operating system of choice (and all changes should of course be submitted back to Telltale and checked into CVS making the engine even more portable).[/quote]This is not a flame, but unfortunately that kind of attitude is one of the reasons why some game makers are ignoring Linux. I can't remember which company it was who released an application (it wasn't a game) to Linux (ported from Windows), but they got deluged by snot-grams from Linux extremists who think that anything involved with Linux should be open source, as though to do otherwise is blasphemous. As a result, they decided to never release anything for Linux again. I don't blame them.

I know this because I had a long conversation about this through e-mail with one of the developers. They were actually working on porting some of their other utilities, based on the better-than-expected sales of the one that they released, until the demands for releasing the source code started. It ended up looking more like a "bite the hand that feeds you" scenario. So, they decided to stop feeding Linux.

If TTG has a great game engine or other intellectual property that could be of great value to them in the future, should we expect them to give it away? I wouldn't.

Add Comment