User Avatar Image

Abundance of False choices in conversations

posted by Googolplexbyte on - last edited - Viewed by 439 users

It seems like there are way too many conversation choice where the choice is immediately irrelevant and just there to add interactivity. I didn't mind the game choices that are there to convey futility, but this happens way too often to be about that and sometimes the choice is so irrelevant the characters dialogue immediately contradicts it.

I've no qualms with conversation that go by with input from the player, in fact there are a few such in the game already so telltale isn't adamantly against them, but when the choices feel forced or pointless it's just obnoxious. Please stop doing that, Telltale.

48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • wait, you want a movie or you want to click enter on the one option choice available?
    I only ask cause most people want more dialogue options, not less

• @Xarne said: wait, you want a movie or you want to click enter on the one option choice available?

Exactly. If TellTale didn't put as much dialogue options this would simply be more of a movie.

• @Xarne said: wait, you want a movie or you want to click enter on the one option choice available?

No most conversation choices are fine, and there are plenty of them, I'm just annoyed when they add choices that don't do anything.

• i know what you are trying to get at i think, theres options were (as an example) its a strong disagree, yet when it becomes spoken dialogue its a vague disagreement, worded completely different, and upon hearing it you cant help but think its not what you wanted/chose, and maybe one of the other choices would of been more fruitful.

• [light spoilers] Indeed, there's even a scene where lee straight says the exact opposite to what you choose. At the beginning of ep. 3 when you see the girl you can immediately choose to ignore the girl, but it don't matter kenny will tell you that you have to consider doing precisely that, and then you tell that you couldn't even though you already choose to. You investigate no matter what you say to lilly, duck helps no matter what you say to him. When I went back to change a few of my decision, the game makes you feel pretty helpless to change much at all. And ep. 2! Gah it was obvious what they were doing, and you could gather a bunch of clues in conversation, but it made not even the tiniest difference, you discover the truth, the same when, the same way, no matter what. It's kind of a slap in the face sometimes. Too often I get the feeling there's a clear and obvious way the game wants you to play it.

• @Googolplexbyte said: [light spoilers] Indeed, there's even a scene where lee straight says the exact opposite to what you choose. At the beginning of ep. 3 when you see the girl you can immediately choose to ignore the girl, but it don't matter kenny will tell you that you have to consider doing precisely that, and then you tell that you couldn't even though you already choose to. You investigate no matter what you say to lilly, duck helps no matter what you say to him. When I went back to change a few of my decision, the game makes you feel pretty helpless to change much at all. And ep. 2! Gah it was obvious what they were doing, and you could gather a bunch of clues in conversation, but it made not even the tiniest difference, you discover the truth, the same when, the same way, no matter what. It's kind of a slap in the face sometimes. Too often I get the feeling there's a clear and obvious way the game wants you to play it.

I get the same feeling. At the beginning of EP3 I started picking off the zombies one by one when Kenny abruptly tells Lee to cut it out and pulls him up. It's moments like this that diminish the game as a whole. I hope TTG doesn't disappoint in the last two installments.

• @Googolplexbyte said: It seems like there are way too many conversation choice where the choice is immediately irrelevant and just there to add interactivity.

I don't get it: you choose to write this, and it is immediately irrelevant b/c it's been talked about to death and TTG isn't changing anything, yet you don't seemed to be so nearly as bothered about the relevancy.

Also, what is a false choice? It doesn't make sense when it's thought about. Look, Lee has choice to say what he wants. If the other characters react the exact same way regardless that didn't limit your choice at all.

• @Googolplexbyte said: [light spoilers] Indeed, there's even a scene where lee straight says the exact opposite to what you choose. At the beginning of ep. 3 when you see the girl you can immediately choose to ignore the girl, but it don't matter kenny will tell you that you have to consider doing precisely that, and then you tell that you couldn't even though you already choose to. You investigate no matter what you say to lilly, duck helps no matter what you say to him. When I went back to change a few of my decision, the game makes you feel pretty helpless to change much at all. And ep. 2! Gah it was obvious what they were doing, and you could gather a bunch of clues in conversation, but it made not even the tiniest difference, you discover the truth, the same when, the same way, no matter what. It's kind of a slap in the face sometimes. Too often I get the feeling there's a clear and obvious way the game wants you to play it.

I would dare say it's called a framed narrative. Esentially you're not playing Lee, you're re-playing Lee. This story isnt ongoing, it's already happened.

• Heres an example of irrelevant dialogue:

When the RV pulls over and Lily tries to find out who the traitor is....
    If you blame Carley, shes like "what the hell Lee?!" or something like that, then right afterwards she tells Lily "Try being like Lee for once!, try helping others". Even though you blamed Carley she STILL thinks your helping when clearly your not -_-

Your scam has gone long enough TTG :P
    Im not buying Season 2 if this is all to offer. What's probably going to happen in the end is that even if you were a 100% jerk to Kenny, you still get to ride the boat, same if you were nice too* If they even make it that far and If Kenny is even still alive...*

• @Red Panda said: I don't get it: you choose to write this, and it is immediately irrelevant b/c it's been talked about to death and TTG isn't changing anything, yet you don't seemed to be so nearly as bothered about the relevancy.

Also, what is a false choice? It doesn't make sense when it's thought about. Look, Lee has choice to say what he wants. If the other characters react the exact same way regardless that didn't limit your choice at all.

Um I think you have to read example given again bud, has nothing to do with the other characters not reacting to what Lee says just to move the story along (even though that does happen lots)

Add Comment