User Avatar Image

Thoughts about the Zombie genre

posted by American Foreign Policy on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

First off I like to say that I'm a fan of the Zombie genre and RPGs, but not JRPGs or the doom & gloom European Zombie genre.

There's the obvious appeals:

Anarchy, chaos & breakdown of order.
Violence & shoot em up.
Survivor horror.

But then there's the genre's cliches:

Hand-waving modern military power.
Hand-waving the physics of decaying bodies.
Hand-waving the existence of militarized borders and quarantine.
Supernatural infection.
Massive inflation of the undead.
Everyone dies.

The power-gaming stat fiddler in me is bugged by the hand-waving of reality, but it's not a big bother.

I can stand most the the cliches but the RPG enthusiast in me can't get around the last one; everybody dies. It's the same problem I had with the book series, if the supporting characters keep getting killed off and replaced then it's hard to get invested especially if the main character is just a sock puppet for the player. (yes yes not everyone dies in the book but I hated the frequency of character turnovers)

What characters do we have left? Kenny the broken, Ben the traitor, 3 strangers, and the child. There isn't much to go for except the child-guardian relationship. I don't like it, I don't expect it to change since it's a bad precedent to cave to fan pressure post-release, I guess I was just in for another type of RPG.

102 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @American Foreign Policy said: What characters do we have left? Kenny the broken, Ben the traitor, 3 strangers, and the child. There isn't much to go for except the child-guardian relationship. I don't like it, I don't expect it to change since it's a bad precedent to cave to fan pressure post-release, I guess I was just in for another type of RPG.

Well thats how this series is. They love killing off your favorite characters. :D

• Kenny Rules. I hope he just doesn't ... Release his inner anger spirit and just get eaten by walkers.
    I'd quit and abandon all hope.

• @American Foreign Policy said: What characters do we have left? Kenny the broken, Ben the traitor, 3 strangers, and the child. There isn't much to go for except the child-guardian relationship. I don't like it, I don't expect it to change since it's a bad precedent to cave to fan pressure post-release, I guess I was just in for another type of RPG.

Do you read the graphics? Because, the main team is far from perfect...especially after the most recent issues.

• @Zombies are Awesome! said: Well thats how this series is. They love killing off your favorite characters. :D

Well that's just the thing, what would make episode 4 different from being a spin-off with a few familiar faces?

@Zombies are Awesome! said: Do you read the graphics? Because, the main team is far from perfect...especially after the most recent issues.

I did, it was a pinprick for me . Not saying that it couldn't happen, just that I'm not into that type of plot.

• @American Foreign Policy said: Well that's just the thing, what would make episode 4 different from being a spin-off with a few familiar faces?

i don't know but i can't wait for it. Its gonna be even darker and more gruesome then Episode 3 :D

• @American Foreign Policy said: I did, it was a pinprick for me . Not saying that it couldn't happen, just that I'm not into that type of plot.

Understood. I just get a bit antsy when people say this group hardly has a chance anymore, look at Ricks group. Lees group is having a cakewalk in comparison.

• @V1V4L4 said: Understood. I just get a bit antsy when people say this group hardly has a chance anymore, look at Ricks group. Lees group is having a cakewalk in comparison.

That's one of the problems, once you get technical you start breaking the willing suspension of belief.

Why should talks of survivability be limited to what the survivors have/know? Why not discuss how zombies should be handled? Oh no we might question the magical attributes of zombies, or how the military couldn't prevent this, or the incredible fragility of society.

• @Zombies are Awesome! said: They love killing off your favorite characters. :D

@Zombies are Awesome! said: Kenny Rules. I hope he just doesn't ... Release his inner anger spirit and just get eaten by walkers.
    I'd quit and abandon all hope.

Oooohhh, I totally see what you did there, very subtle. :D

• @American Foreign Policy said: That's one of the problems, once you get technical you start breaking the willing suspension of belief.

Why should talks of survivability be limited to what the survivors have/know? Why not discuss how zombies should be handled? Oh no we might question the magical attributes of zombies, or how the military couldn't prevent this, or the incredible fragility of society.

I've seen the tv show version of the walking dead. That does help in that you do get the sense that the military tried, they really did, but there was just too many walkers.

society is very fragile. I saw the events of hurricane Katrina on CNN. Four days to collapse...4 days.

As far as zombies go there is nothing magical...we just don't know is all.

CDC spokesman: I'll take your questions
    Carley: Is it a virus?
    CDC spokesman: We don't know.
    Carley: How does it spread? Is it airborne?
    CDC spokesman: Airborne is a possibility. We don't know.
    Reporter [male]:Is this an international health hazzard or a military concern?
    CDC spokesman: Both
    Carley: Are these people alive or dead?
    CDC spokesman [shakes head]: We don't know.

See they're working on it....just need a little more time is all.

• @Kiel555 said: I've seen the tv show version of the walking dead. That does help in that you do get the sense that the military tried, they really did, but there was just too many walkers.

society is very fragile. I saw the events of hurricane Katrina on CNN. Four days to collapse...4 days.

In the absence of order

@Kiel555 said: CDC spokesman: I'll take your questions
    Carley: Is it a virus?
    CDC spokesman: We don't know.
    Carley: How does it spread? Is it airborne?
    CDC spokesman: Airborne is a possibility. We don't know.
    Reporter [male]:Is this an international health hazzard or a military concern?
    CDC spokesman: Both
    Carley: Are these people alive or dead?
    CDC spokesman [shakes head]: We don't know.

See they're working on it....just need a little more time is all.

Well except in real life situations they would hazard a guess, or lie. Anything is better than public panic.

More importantly even if it somehow succeeds why couldn't there be pockets that gradually expand out? What's to stop an army base from fortifying and rolling out? This is literally cavemen using melee vs assault rifles and artillery.

Dead people running around would generate a military response right away, there would be no chance to spread. Considering that most countries vehemently guard their borders from traffickers, invasive species, and illegals the dead walking would definitely generate a response.

@Kiel555 said: As far as zombies go there is nothing magical...we just don't know is all.

Except they don't exist, good fiction is resistant to inspection. We can't say that dragons don't exist, but there's no reason to assume that they exist until we have proof.

I don't like to but as soon as a technical discussion goes on it's hard to avoid touching the assumptions of the genre.

Add Comment