User Avatar Image

[WD] Lost save-files

posted by nasso on - last edited - Viewed by 26.9K users

My savefiles are just... lost.

I played through the entire episode earlier today. I continued from a savefile from yesterday. Worked like a charm.

When i sat down just now to play through the game again, a second time, to make other decisions i wanted to start from a new save file but i found out that my old was gone.

This was all done from the same computer. I haven't installed the game on any other machine.

I'm really bummed out because the decisions i made in the first save file are the ones i want to continue episode 2 with. And what happens if this happens again? What if i loose my save file when i have completed episode 4??!?!?!?

Has this happened to anyone else and how do i fix this?

Edit: when i started the walking dead game i was also starting up diablo 3. I got some errors about direct 3d from walking dead game and when i restarted the game it started in windowed mode 1024x768 so my settings where reset. this was just before i found out that the save files where missing.

Edit: im unable to reproduce this now. but i think i started diablo 3 first. is it possible that this is some racecondition that caused the walking dead game to fail to sync to steam cloud and reset its settings and save files? the windowed thing is weird though, i dont remember that being standard...

82 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @JussiBoy said: Hi,

I got the same problem after ep3 and this is how I resolved it. I'm using steam in win7/64. I hope this works for you too.

1. Copy your savefiles the whole Telltale Games folder to desktop.

2. Uninstall the game.

3. Run RegClean or something like that program and delete all Telltale games reg files or Walking dead files.

4. Find every Talltale games folder and delete them from my documents (I did find 2 actully from different places) Using Search will help you. But do not delete copyed folder from desktop.

5. Install the game.

6. If game wont start run it as win98 / ME compatibility mode.

7. Start the game and shut it.

8. Now there should be Telltale Games folder at my documents. Copy your backup folder from desktop to documents folder and over write it if possible.

9. Start the game again. Press paly and if you dont have your save files there (i didnt) shut the game.

10. Now go documents folder and now there should be 2 Telltale games folders. In one Telltale games folder there should be your savefiles under "The Walking Dead" folder and another Telltale games folder should have "the walking dead" folder what game greated after last startup.

11. Copy all files from "The Walking Dead" folder to "the walking dead" folder and delete old Telltale Games folder where is The Walking Dead folder completly.

12. Start the game. Now your resolution, settings and savegames should be there and working correctly.

This is how I get my game working.

I am having this problem after Episode 3. I completed it, then started up the game later and everything was gone. The save files were still in the folder there.

I followed your steps, however step 10 was not true for me. I still only had 1 folder and I am back to square one with nothing working. but save files still there.

• How about Telltale Games fixes this problem instead of forcing us to back-up files, rename move and deleted them.

I'd love to see WoW players investing hours upon hours of their lives only to see their character deleted.

Very poor support from Telltale Games indeed.

Refund requested.

• This sort of worked for me, but for some reason, although I was able to load from my last episode, it didn't save my choices correctly. It seemed to keep whatever "random choices" I made when I started episode 2 to create the new save - different character was alive when I started episode 3.

Hopefully Telltale will put out an official fix soon...

• SAme problem as others,

after my steam installed ep 3 and i tried it i got "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" error. Then I postponed playing the game and later today restarted my computer. I then got it working, but it started up in windowed mode on lower resolution. I switched them to full screen etc and got ready to load my earlier game, but got asked about random generating choices... I got my saves. Please fix this telltale.

• OK so can I just clarify because I've followed the procedure and I restored a save to a later state. Problem is that's all it restored. It hasn't made it recognise all my other saves so it doesn't recognise any of my choices from the earlier games and I had to auto-generate even as it restored my game position to the end of the train line.

My major choices are intact but i can't tell if thats just coincidental autogeneration because the game thinks I told Clem we are going for a boat now instead of going after her parents which was the choice I made and how the ending proceeded before I lost my saves.

Is there a fix to restore them all? TT needs to release some kind of compiler to repair the prefs file or whatever it is holding the save directory, this is pretty unacceptable. Wouldn't be so bad if we could at least skip cutscenes and dialog to speed it up. Instead gotta sit through 6 hours just to try and get back up to where we were?

Pass on future purchases until this is fixed.

• Same problem here. Started up The Walking Dead, crashed, game started back up in windowed mode, saves are gone but are still in folder. I have no earthly idea how to follow those steps that were suggested. Somebody please hold my hand.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@SyRauk said: Same problem here. Started up The Walking Dead, crashed, game started back up in windowed mode, saves are gone but are still in folder. I have no earthly idea how to follow those steps that were suggested. Somebody please hold my hand.

The crash probably just overwrote the prefs.prop. If you have a backup of that, or can restore it by reverting to a previous verson (right click/properties in windows) you should get the saves back.

• @DjNDB said: The crash probably just overwrote the prefs.prop. If you have a backup of that, or can restore it by reverting to a previous verson (right click/properties in windows) you should get the saves back.

I didn't foresee the game not being able to pick up my saved files so I don't have a backup and I found no previous versions.

• Thank you Siezemore your solution made the game recognize my most recent save in Episode 1. Saved me from having to start over a 4th time. :)

I am running the game on Windows 7 64 bit. It ran fine, it even seemed to save fine. Until I got to the pharmacy. Then when I went to the menu and clicked on anything there the game would automatically start a brand new game and overwrite my last save.

I made it all the way through episode 2 tonight with no issues. I even hit escape a few times so I could take a break.

Thanks again for posting this solution. I would have been sad to miss out on such a great game.

• Siezemore + McHitman !!! Yea!

It looks like the solution of changing the timestamps of the old saves to those of the new saves then renaming and replacing the new ones with the old ones seems to have worked for me. Just make sure to, like McHitman says, start a new episode 2 game if that was the last episode for which you have a savegame that worked correctly.

Add Comment