User Avatar Image

[Spoilers - Ep. 3] In defence of Ben

posted by Googolplexbyte on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

Wasn't Ben just preventing the inevitable? Like Eagle hair is paraphrase as having said, "the second the dairy farm stopped bandits would get us instead".

If not for Ben, the bandits would've got us right at the end of ep. 2. Sure the secrecy was fucking stupid, but lee's no one to judge others for secrecy.

It's completely Lilly's fault really, if she hadn't started a gun fight with an army of bandits attracting an army of dead, everyone could got out of there at there own pace. Plus stealing's hardly punishable by death, she'd gone crazy. Was she still nuts later in the comic?

Also it was kind of inevitable doug/carley would've died they'd taken a bit of a backseat in the story.

And honestly what other choice was there, it was probably a deal made at gunpoint considering bandits and all. Plus we raided the entire pharmacy and it was time to leave any way.

Plus even if I were wrong in my opinion, the game should still have the decency to let me show it in game rather than forcing me to be an ass to Ben.

191 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Carley!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

/Vader

• You know, I do get it - Ben's a stupid little shit that stole supplies, dealt with bandits and caused three deaths. He's complete crap. I could understand knocking him off if he was willfully evil, However, there are waay more of "them" than "us" and killing Ben just puts mankind back another point. I think living with his guilt will be punishment enough and if not, Lee can remind him occasionally.

• I do agree with keeping as many humans alive as possible; so I would let Ben leave willingly (or not) but bottom line is anyone who lets fear stop him from using simple common sense cant stay in my group.
    I dont accept that he couldnt muster up the courage to blurt out one sentence. If not to Lily, tell Lee, tell Kenny-tell Clem to tell Lee...no, Im sorry he cant stay. He doesnt have to die, if they give us a choice in Ep4, he's gone.

• @jaybreezy said: Maybe because if Ben hadn't been stealing to begin with then Carley would be alive. I'm sure Carley didn't even know that Ben was stealing and was sticking up for him based upon the "innocent until proven guilty" approach. Fact: If Ben doesn't do what he did, or comes to the group with his plan then none of what went down, goes down. Ben IS the reason that the group lost three people. I hope Kenny rips his head off.

Ben had been segregated from the group since the moment he arrived - the moment Lilly opened her mouth saying that he shouldn't even be there. As far as the reasons she lists against Ben in the RV (about him being the new guy, or a bandit "plant") I don't think she ever changed this toxic mindset.

Perhaps Ben would have behaved differently if he had been accepted into the group fully and had someone take him under their wing. In short, nobody trusted him, so why should he have trusted anybody else when the bandits told him that they had one of his friends? What could have possibly driven him to keep such a threat a secret, other than a belief that he was an outcast and that nobody would help him? And who perpetuated that belief?

• Nobody trusted him?

He was sitting on the RV with a rifle in Ep3.

You don't give someone you don't trust a firearm.

• @Sisterofshane said: Ben had been segregated from the group since the moment he arrived - the moment Lilly opened her mouth saying that he shouldn't even be there. As far as the reasons she lists against Ben in the RV (about him being the new guy, or a bandit "plant") I don't think she ever changed this toxic mindset.

Perhaps Ben would have behaved differently if he had been accepted into the group fully and had someone take him under their wing. In short, nobody trusted him, so why should he have trusted anybody else when the bandits told him that they had one of his friends? What could have possibly driven him to keep such a threat a secret, other than a belief that he was an outcast and that nobody would help him? And who perpetuated that belief?

heh, before I begin are you playing devil's advocate or serious?
    Would you have done the same thing in his shoes?

• @Xarne said: heh, before I begin are you playing devil's advocate or serious?
    Would you have done the same thing in his shoes?

To play the devil's advocate, you must seriously believe that your argument has some merit, or it wouldn't be worth bringing up.:D

In my honest opinion, I think Ben was in between a rock and a hard place. For one thing, he's pretty much a kid (DEFINITELY still in high school), and not much more mature than Clementine, and CERTAINLY not as mature or knowledgeable as the other adults. Next, he pretty much comes into the group with NOBODY, and with no skills/supplies to offer to "sweeten" the deal. He is relying solely on the kindness of these strangers who risked their lives to save him. What's the first impression our group gives him? That it's hostile to itself and to others, and that it's fractured and fumbling to survive. He doesn't have any time to come to any different conclusions, either, because following his arrival we immediately take a turn for the worse. Now we can add "poor judges of character" to that list above, as well as "weakened" (having just lost two adults at the St. John's Dairy. If I were Ben, I seriously wouldn't put too much stock in this group to protect me very well, let alone serve my interests (protecting a friend that I think may be in danger, for example).

• @DreadMagus said: Nobody trusted him?

He was sitting on the RV with a rifle in Ep3.

You don't give someone you don't trust a firearm.

That was pretty much Lilly's apathy. Kenny comments on that when he returns from gathering supplies. I doubt she would have ever let "the new guy, the bandit PLANT" anywhere near a gun if she had been in a better mental state. She was determined not to trust anyone at the camp, but she certainly didn't do anything to stop what happened.

• Ben's...one of my favorites. At least in the way he's written. I find him to be completely believable.

Yeah, what he did was stupid. But what would you do in his situation? You've lost your best friend (presumably) and one of the few (the only?) authority figures left from your past life before being thrust into a completely strange group. You were more than likely partially at fault for both of your friends' deaths. You don't know anybody in this new group. A bandit approaches you, says that he has one of your friends, somebody that you might be able to save... if you give some away of these new guys' medicine.

As stupid as that is, as stupid as Ben was for not realizing that it was a mistake earlier, as stupid as Ben was for not ADMITTING it sooner so things might have gone smoother... yes, I can understand his intentions and I am not angry at him. I would have done the same thing. I would put the needs of people I know above people I don't know any day, and I think it's good that Ben is the same way. I doubt that choosing the group over somebody else will be an issue in the future; it's clear by now that Ben is the last from his former group, and he really doesn't want to piss off Lee more than he already has (especially considering Lee seems to be the only person to give him the light of day). And IIRC he lived in the opposite direction of Savannah, making it even more unlikely...

Also uh the game forced you to be an ass to Ben? I've managed to be fairly civil to him, considering the circumstances. Of course Lee's gonna be pissed right now, but I think he's a little more forgiving than most (if you play a certain way). Lee just acted shocked and told Ben to shut up in my main playthrough...

• @Sisterofshane said: To play the devil's advocate, you must seriously believe that your argument has some merit, or it wouldn't be worth bringing up.:D

No, its to fight for the opposite point of view even when you know its wrong, for the sake of arguement, thats why its the Devil's advocate :)
    Would you have done the same thing in his place? :)

Add Comment