User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 6.9K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Maugly said: I think many people are just missing the point there.

It's not Carley death why people got mad at the game and TTG. It's how the game discards players' choices what got them mad. And Carley death was only a trigger. Many people were attached to Carley and when they saw her die they just tried to re-load and find different outcome... To find out that there is no choice, there is only illusion of a choice, and the game advertisement, is, uhm, fake.

For me it didn't really trigger until my second playtrough, I was sitting there thinking meh oh well she died that's life.
    Then I saved doug thinking lets see if there is any functional difference at all in the story, and there literally is no difference except you get from doug a mechanism that lets you hear the st john brothers quicker and stuff (not usefull at all) and from Carley you get the option of telling people you are a killer.
    Other than that they are 100% functionally the same, Carley comes with a gun and shoots at he St. johns and Doug aims a fucking lazer pointer at them ending in the same exact thing. Keep in mind that is literally the only time we see them other than the option to talk to them during the food handout.
    During ep 3 the only difference is one makes you fucking want to murder Lilly and the other makes you just sit there going she is insane and is not coming with us.

What I sit with now is the thought that literally everything I did with those characters had no meaning and the only right way to act is agreeing with Kenny on everything or acting 100% illogically too maintain Clementines sanity.

I thought this game was suposed to test how able I would be to survive the zombie appocalypse with its choices, but so far it hasn't at all. I mean technically not taking the food from that one car would be a death sentence but either way we got the food so why not just be the pussy of the bunch too be the only one trying to keep Clementine sane.

Might not have made much sense since I am not at all a master at the english language, it is not my native tongue at all.

• @YamiRaziel said: I didn't get your Hobbit and 4 books altogether statement. I rate the Hobbit as a book on it's own and LOTR as a book on it's own.
    The first 3 episodes are chapters/episodes of a book/tv show season. They are all part of the same story.
    Season 2 will probably be another story that you can call volume 2/season 2/book 2.

No they're not. They volumes, since I can buy them on their own. I don't remember chapters being sold on their own, not happening out there, sir, no can do.
    And to get out of useless conversation. FAQ directly states we'll got an effect of our decisions in this very episode. Please name me 4 my decisions which affected this very episode.

• @Viser said: Where do you get that Lee is Kenny's only friend? If you don't want to be his friend, you can treat him like crap, and he won't ever help you or think of you as a friend. Plus, what do you mean "They're all dead"? As far as I know, Ben, Kenny, and Clementine were also outside the RV with Lee when it all happened. And of course Omid/Christa were pissed at the moment, but do you really think they will forget you helped them?

And in the end of THIS EPISODE it might seem they're treating Lee the same, but goddamit, just wait for the whole game to be out.

Kenny turns from Episode 1 nice guy to Episode 2 jackass to Episode 3 broken man who lost a family and only has Lee to talk to him. You're forced to talk to Kenny no matter what anyway -.-

Ben literally has nothing relevant to say, and has been just a scapegoat used to kill off characters so three new ones will be introduced.

For three episodes it's been the same thing. This is a present-time issue. Not a future, "oh well wait for the next one". I wouldn't doubt on them treating Lee the same for the rest of this. Cycles don't just break.

• @MichaCHOW said: Kenny turns from Episode 1 nice guy to Episode 2 jackass to Episode 3 broken man who lost a family and only has Lee to talk to him. You're forced to talk to Kenny no matter what anyway -.-

Ben literally has nothing relevant to say, and has been just a scapegoat used to kill off characters so three new ones will be introduced.

For three episodes it's been the same thing. This is a present-time issue. Not a future, "oh well wait for the next one". I wouldn't doubt on them treating Lee the same for the rest of this. Cycles don't just break.

You're still wrong on the Kenny thing. If you side with him on episode 2 he's far from being a jackass to Lee. And yes, Lee's the only one he can talk to, still doesn't mean you need to treat him nicely.

Ben has nothing to say because he's only been there for some time. Characters like Kenny, Lilly and Carley have been present for 3 full episodes, a timespan of 3 months, while we can only talk to Ben after we get to camp on episode 2 and some more on episode 3.

And this is a present-time issue for a game that hasn't even been fully released yet? Geez. But I think it's kinda useless to be discussing this. You're not gonna change the way I see things and I'm not gonna change the way you see things.

• @Maugly said: No they're not. They volumes, since I can buy them on their own. I don't remember chapters being sold on their own, not happening out there, sir, no can do.
    And to get out of useless conversation. FAQ directly states we'll got an effect of our decisions in this very episode. Please name me 4 my decisions which affected this very episode.

Chapters can be published one at a time in newspapers and magazines. Fan fiction authors also published chapters one at a time, but that doesn't mean they are complete on their own.
    If episode 3 was as standalone game you wouldn't need your save files in order to continue.

"Please name me 4 my decisions which affected this very episode."
    Now you're just wasting my time. There are plenty of examples on this board. Do some digging.
    I really do not get the point of your outcry. If you dislike the game so much, stop playing it! Is the idea to make us enjoy it less just because you apparently don't?

• @YamiRaziel said: Chapters can be published one at a time in newspapers and magazines. Fan fiction authors also published chapters one at a time, but that doesn't mean they are complete on their own.
    If episode 3 was as standalone game you wouldn't need your save files in order to continue.

You don't get to pay for a chapter, you pay for the magazine, that's some difference.
    And, uhm, well, forgive me my rudeness, but you really start to sound like your avatar. I hope you're not going to go shooting spree eventually?

• @Maugly said: You don't get to pay for a chapter, you pay for the magazine, that's some difference.
    And, uhm, well, forgive me my rudeness, but you really start to sound like your avatar. I hope you're not going to go shooting spree eventually?

Nobody forced you to buy it 1 chapter at a time. You could've waited for the full game release. It was your choice to buy it that way... why complain now?

• @YamiRaziel said: To me stating that Telltale lied and false advertised their game because some people want to have God given powers and other feel bad for not being able to bone a certain character in the game is not something I'm gonna take as mature attitude.

Aldaron, it does say more about me? You know that I did check your thread and I found 3 pages of arguments how the game could've been better if it had more sex.

I don't know about the others but I didn't said that they lied. I wish it had more choice, I wish it had sex and relationships, I wish it was more realistic and closer to the original source. But it's still a great game.

And I didn't wrote those 3 pages, my first post had several concerns, people (like you) became fixated on sex. Not only that, but you and a couple of others felt so strongly about it that insulted me and became openly hostile without any reason at all. It certainly speaks more of your character than mine.

And when I say "sex" I don't mean "sex scenes" or "sex mini-games".

--------------------------

Carleys dead didn't bother me, but like MichaCHOW what did bother me is that the dialogue options were irrelevant, nothing we did up to that point mattered at all. Worse is the fact that you can decide on the outcome of Lily killing Carley. You HAVE to let her go. She has to escape and that sucks.

The Ben situation is the same. You can't kill him, beat him, kick him out or even tell or him. You either forgive him or are mad at him but that's it. Nothing you do really matters.

I get that some things are other characters decisions (like Carleys death) but where are MY decisions? Lee decisions are nowhere to be found, there's barely any consecuence to them.

• @Aldaron said: I get that some thing are other characters decisions (like Carleys death) but where are MY decisions? Lee decisions are nowhere to be found, there's barely any consecuence to them.

Don't worry, in season 137, episode 95 you've got to see an effect of all your decisions you've made that far :)

• @Aldaron said: I get that some thing are other characters decisions (like Carleys death) but where are MY decisions? Lee decisions are nowhere to be found, there's barely any consecuence to them.

Oh, don't mention such things it's a blasphemy for some people. It doesn't matter how hard you try to explain them that you are disappointed not because some woman has died neither because you didn't get God powers but because you just want to see something different at the end which is a consequence of your own actions they won't believe it.

Add Comment