User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 3.7K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Aldaron said: I get that some thing are other characters decisions (like Carleys death) but where are MY decisions? Lee decisions are nowhere to be found, there's barely any consecuence to them.

Don't worry, in season 137, episode 95 you've got to see an effect of all your decisions you've made that far :)

• @Aldaron said: I get that some thing are other characters decisions (like Carleys death) but where are MY decisions? Lee decisions are nowhere to be found, there's barely any consecuence to them.

Oh, don't mention such things it's a blasphemy for some people. It doesn't matter how hard you try to explain them that you are disappointed not because some woman has died neither because you didn't get God powers but because you just want to see something different at the end which is a consequence of your own actions they won't believe it.

• haven't read through this whole thread, so apologies if this has been said before. (and let me preface by saying I'm enjoying the game thoroughly and look forward to eps 4 & 5)

I'd have to agree with those 'complaining' about the illusion of choice. As of the end of ep3, the only real decisions from 1 & 2 that would seem to have any impact in the next two are: did you back Kenny or Lilly (if Kenny, he'll have a positive/helpful part next episode; if Lilly, he won't); and how have your decisions impacted Clem.

perhaps I was hoping for the impossible with this game, as it claimed that 'your decisions impact the outcome'; so maybe I read too much into that as more of those old "choose your own adventure" books, where if I chose the path to page 52 instead of page 67, the outcome was drastically different.

In that line of thinking, here's my 2 cents/suggestion to the programmers/writers for the next installment: Make it *exactly* like a choose your own adventure book in this way, and I'll use the Kenny/Lilly motel power struggle as an example. You choose to back Kenny and say the group should go. Lilly refuses and decides to stay. Kenny & family/Lee/Clem/Ben all get in the RV and leave, Carly/Doug decides to stay with Lilly as she/he doesn't feel it's right to leave her alone - the rest of that path continues as played out (minus the Lilly/Carly-Doug incident on the road). Choice 2: You back Lilly. Kenny curses you for never backing him up, loads up his family in the RV (maybe Ben goes too), leaving you, Clem, Lilly and Carly/Doug at the motel. The episode plays out with the assault by the bandits/walkers. You/your group kill a lot of bandits and walkers, but run out of ammo and are eventually overrun - end of game (you don't get to play ep 4 or 5 in that decision path). Like the adventure books, sometimes your story ends within one or two choices/50 pages, versus lasting for countless choices/100s of pages.

Might suck when you get to that point and realize your game is over without getting to the next episode, but that's incentive to replay and find a better path to get to it.

• @the zombie flanders said: In that line of thinking, here's my 2 cents/suggestion to the programmers/writers for the next installment: Make it *exactly* like a choose your own adventure book in this way

I think this ain't gonna happen, because probably not only ep.4, but also ep.5 has already entered the production.

• @Maugly said: I think this ain't gonna happen, because probably not only ep.4, but also ep.5 has already entered the production.

I meant next installment as the part 2/next set of 5 episodes. I don't see the current style changing for the last 2 episodes of part 1.

• @the zombie flanders said: haven't read through this whole thread, so apologies if this has been said before. (and let me preface by saying I'm enjoying the game thoroughly and look forward to eps 4 & 5)

I'd have to agree with those 'complaining' about the illusion of choice. As of the end of ep3, the only real decisions from 1 & 2 that would seem to have any impact in the next two are: did you back Kenny or Lilly (if Kenny, he'll have a positive/helpful part next episode; if Lilly, he won't); and how have your decisions impacted Clem.

perhaps I was hoping for the impossible with this game, as it claimed that 'your decisions impact the outcome'; so maybe I read too much into that as more of those old "choose your own adventure" books, where if I chose the path to page 52 instead of page 67, the outcome was drastically different.

In that line of thinking, here's my 2 cents/suggestion to the programmers/writers for the next installment: Make it *exactly* like a choose your own adventure book in this way, and I'll use the Kenny/Lilly motel power struggle as an example. You choose to back Kenny and say the group should go. Lilly refuses and decides to stay. Kenny & family/Lee/Clem/Ben all get in the RV and leave, Carly/Doug decides to stay with Lilly as she/he doesn't feel it's right to leave her alone - the rest of that path continues as played out (minus the Lilly/Carly-Doug incident on the road). Choice 2: You back Lilly. Kenny curses you for never backing him up, loads up his family in the RV (maybe Ben goes too), leaving you, Clem, Lilly and Carly/Doug at the motel. The episode plays out with the assault by the bandits/walkers. You/your group kill a lot of bandits and walkers, but run out of ammo and are eventually overrun - end of game (you don't get to play ep 4 or 5 in that decision path). Like the adventure books, sometimes your story ends within one or two choices/50 pages, versus lasting for countless choices/100s of pages.

Might suck when you get to that point and realize your game is over without getting to the next episode, but that's incentive to replay and find a better path to get to it.

This is what I was expecting when I bought the season pass a few weeks ago, because that was how it was marketed. If you don't like people stating the obvious and being upset that they were lied to, fine. But doing TTG job for them by arguing with those that were mislead accomplishes what? Other than providing people like me entertainment fighting a war that you will never, ever, win- you accomplished nothing.

If anything all the people who are voicing legitimate complaints should be thanked, because if TTG gives an F they'll make chapter 4 monumental to make up for the crap they gave us in chapter 3.

• User Avatar Image
    bubbledncr Telltale Staff

@joorgen said:
    I thought this game was suposed to test how able I would be to survive the zombie appocalypse with its choices, but so far it hasn't at all. I mean technically not taking the food from that one car would be a death sentence but either way we got the food so why not just be the pussy of the bunch too be the only one trying to keep Clementine sane.

If we were testing how you were able to survive a zombie apocalypse, that would mean that in every moment you were presented a choice, that there is a right and wrong choice. What would we base that on? What's morally right, or best for survival? But you'll find people won't even agree on what's "morally correct" a lot of the time, because everyone has their own set of morals.

• @bubbledncr said: If we were testing how you were able to survive a zombie apocalypse, that would mean that in every moment you were presented a choice, that there is a right and wrong choice. What would we base that on? What's morally right, or best for survival? But you'll find people won't even agree on what's "morally correct" a lot of the time, because everyone has their own set of morals.

That's not what bothers me. I don't mind that there's not a right choice, my problem is that I have few choices and most of them are pointless, they don't affect what happens in any way.

• @Aldaron said: That's not what bothers me. I don't mind that there's not a right choice, my problem is that I have few choices and most of them are pointless, they don't affect what happens in any way.

more accurate to what I wanted to say =P I choose to take the food in the car, I get food. I choose to not take the food in the car I still get food.

Also I am happy that you didn't go the troll method there telltale man, I was half expecting a sarcastic remark at how I am a gamer so I would be dead no matter what XD

I do agree that it is good that there is no rights or wrongs, but I wanted to feel the consequences more heavily than I felt I did.
    The time I chose not to take the food I wanted to see a real heavy impact sorta like the others chose to take alot less food and only bare necesities instead at that time. Then maybe seeing the desperation you'd end up with.

I dunno. I am not saying your jobs are easy because it sure as hell isn't, but I
    just know that it feels like less than what I was promised. Good story though but yeah =P

• @YamiRaziel said: You don't want choices, you want to be Gods. Well, you are weak whining humans both in the game and RL apparently. Get over it.

Do you know what choice is? Choice is whether to be good or bad to a little girl who's parents are probably dead.
    Saving everybody from certain death is your latent dream of being more than you are. You want to be heroes you're not in RL and because you can't be, you start crying that the game doesn't allow you to make choices.
    This is pathetic, honestly!

No it's not that and you already know it. We have already discuss this subject numerous time, i don't want to be a god, i just want to see one of my decisions lasting. I've yet to see one... Doug/Carley are dead...
    And how can we be bad with clem ??? Don't give her hat ? (woooo i'm evil !!!) not checked her finger (aaah i'm a hangman !!!). You know what the majority mean by impact.

Originally Posted by YamiRaziel View Post
    Maugly, choice and result are two different things. You can try to save her or not. That's choice.
    Her death is the RESULT of somebody else's choice.

Yes but it's not this person who buy the game, it's me and this person say: your choices will lasting... I just want to have an impact, it's not the same to be a god right ?( and what is this argument ??? We are speaking about the players choice, not "choices" made by a bunch of pixel, this is not choices, this is programmation, Lilly can't make choice)

Again, i don't thinks a simple change of dialogue can improves an important thing in any game: replayability. By now, all i see is the same story, no matter the side, no matter the dialogue, it's always the same outcome. So TWD is a good interactive comic sold 25 dollars, it's not cheap for a comic...

@viser yes it's only the third, but what is the point to play the first three if the outcome are always the same ? Do you really thing you will see lee dying in 4 or 5 episode because off a choice made in the second ? i don't think so... It 'll be a little change, like the hoodie, an equipment at best, a living or dead sub character (like ben, who have nothing to say, to do... and he will die seconds after). Nothing important. I may be wrong, i wish i'm wrong... Again, replayability is smashed...

now a question :
    Do you really thing the second season will have success the same success as the first ?
    My answers is no. Look at the steam succes page of the game, Tellatale lost a lot of players (really... last time i cheked more than 80%, it's really a lot for a middle chapter !!!) So, do you think the base of players is satisfied ? I don't speak about fan (after all this word came from fanatics) but of the lambda player, mister and miss everybody.
    Look at the steam forum and you will have your answers... and the number of player everyday, the max i see was 1.250 worldwide (on pc), obscures games that we never heard of are doing better. It's few, really few. Look at others forums, it's always the same thing: choices don't matters. And don't forget bad mouth to ear is bad for a game, worse than a good review of IGN (lol).

But i think tellatale already know that fact.
    I'll just wait for chapter 4, after all i've a season pass, but don't count on me for the second, i've already said to my friends to wait before buying the game, just to see lasting choices... At last, on this, my choice matter no ?
    If they want to play they can on my steam account, so they don't have to buy it.

edit: @Aldaron, you'd made a great post !

Add Comment