User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS] CARLEY [Ep 3 discussion]

posted by Oblivion1659 on - last edited - Viewed by 6.5K users

Hey i am really annoyed about carley being shot when it happend i didnt even want to carry on playing anyway maybe they could bring carly back she could have just been grazed by the bullet.No one even checked to she if she was dead the group could meet up with her again.I wont be buying anymore episodes unless carly comes back my friends also said the same.

Please say in the comments that you want carly back and make a thread about this and then maybe telltale games will see that we want carly back.

558 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Maugly said: And many players has already pointed out that they'd rather pay and wait more for a quality product.

Oh was that what they were screaming while waiting for episode 3? I must have blocked that out.

• @Maugly said: Depends. Usually, they're not. But I think it'd be much simplier for 3D characters like in TWD, since with modern engines, once you made a character, you just 'pull the strings' to make them do specific pose. So it is unlikely to me that several variants of Carley death would significantly affect development cost. Probably, much less than they're going to lose now because of quitters.

I'm not really sure that you're aware of the vast differences between the two. Static text over an image is much different than a game in a 3d engine. I regret googling visual novels and looking around now. I've seen some shit, guys... I've seen some shit. I guess you could call it fap-fiction, haha.

Edit: Your avatar and sig. are awesome btw Dread.

• eeew

@Marleysativa said:
    Edit: Your avatar and sig. are awesome btw Dread.

Why thank you. :)

• @Maugly said: And many players has already pointed out that they'd rather pay and wait more for a quality product.

Everyone says that but the entire month of august was miserable in here 'waaa wheres my game, waaaa'...for a $5 episode.
    And you think they would more complacent when they shell out more money and wait longer? Come on.
    Especially now, the format is established- doing that would turn this place into a rancid pisshole, imo.
    Hey Maug!

• Yeah, novel games aren't a good analog for adventure games. You can create something with tons of options and branching decisions, but management is just going to tell you to streamline it and put it into a budget that's 2% of your projection.

Actually, we had someone put a choose your own adventure on this forum. All we need is an artist and programmer and we could make our own infinitely spanning game with still images.

• @Master of Aeons said:

This isn't meant to imply that we should change the tone until everyone is ready to be in the universe that was advertised, is it? Because I'd hate to compromise that world for those people who think this is the same zombie atmosphere as L4D2.

I don't see how you got there from what I said. Letting people get there on their own means that if they get it, they will come to appreciate Kirkman's view eventually. If TWD is not for them, it isn't. Reading the books isn't going to "educate" them on how to be a proper fan.

• @ZombieGoBoom said: A thing I have been saying is: We are not reading about Lee Everette, we ARE Lee Everette. Yes this is a game based upon a comic book but we are interacting with the characters, in the middle of it all and we can become quite attached to them. When Carley dies, it becomes a little more personal than reading a comic book. I was shocked when she died and became mad after finding there was not I can do to change it but I hope she is not completely forgotten in episode 4.

I also know this is a brutal world. I figured it out when Shaun died and that bitten woman at the motel committed suicide. When Doug got pulled through the window by zombies because I picked Carley over him, seconds later Larry tried to leave me for dead. Me hacking the leg off that teacher to get him out that trap to save him from approaching zombies and watching one of his student's get pulled apart. Seeing a bandit blowing the other one away over some argument. Seeing one of the brothers killing that crazy woman because she was about to warn me about them. Finding Mark with his legs gone and later dragging himself across the floor, begging for help. Larry getting his head smashed in by Kenny. The mother getting eaten by zombie Mark. Me pounding the other brother almost to death because I didn't know I could stop at any time. And Carley was killed to let us know that life can end at any time. Uh... thanks?

Well that's the difference between Carley dying and those other characters you mentioned. her passing isn't simply about the fragility of life. Her's is about you experiencing, vicariously, losing someone you care about.

Personally I think the game failed on that score because you don't really get any bonding time with Carley/Doug even if you play Angelic-Lee. It's really sudden, you are suddenly presented with a "choice" to like her and then some minutes of gameplay later she is walker food. They had the opportunity to put off her death until Ep 4 or 5 (or later) for the real gut shot that most TWD fans (or even experienced RPG players) could see coming.

Even though this is TWD and yes DEATH is around EVERY CORNER, it's still a trope. You know when a girl tells Bond she loves him you should call the undertaker.

• @bakajin said: I don't see how you got there from what I said. Letting people get there on their own means that if they get it, they will come to appreciate Kirkman's view eventually. If TWD is not for them, it isn't. Reading the books isn't going to "educate" them on how to be a proper fan.

Sorry I disagree 100%. If you've never read the comics then, yes, all the constant death and character turnover is going to be a huge surpise to you...if you havent noticed by the Carley threads and the rabid agenda to either get her back or patch her back in. People just cant accept death in VG.
    Most group-based games allow you to keep teammates til the end or at the very least swap them out temporarily for another.
    People dont like losing their 'friends', especially ones they have a bond with, I get that- but if you read the comics you would know this is par for course (and people wouldnt be bawling their eyes out over 1 character).
    And really, the game isnt even touching the tip of the iceberg compared to the darkness in the comics.

So no, they dont have to read the comics , but it will sure help with all the 'omg omg omg she/he is dead omg Im dead inside, I cant get out of bed' and all that BS

• @Xarne said: Sorry I disagree 100%. If you've never read the comics then, yes, all the constant death and character turnover is going to be a huge surpise to you...if you havent noticed by the Carley threads and the rabid agenda to either get her back or patch her back in. People just cant accept death in VG.
    Most group-based games allow you to keep teammates til the end or at the very least swap them out temporarily for another.
    People dont like losing their 'friends', especially ones they have a bond with, I get that- but if you read the comics you would know this is par for course (and people wouldnt be their your eyes out over 1 character).
    And really, the game isnt even touching the tip of the iceberg compared to the darkness in the comics.
    So no, they dont have to read the comics , but it will sure help with all the 'omg omg omg she/he is dead omg Im dead inside, I cant get out of bed' and all that BS

So it's going to help keep people from complaining about the game play if they read the comics? Hmm.

So no other form of entertainment treats the apocalypse, zombie or not, with the same gravitas as does TWD?

So no other game kills off popular characters?

So everyone reacts the same way to the same material?

• @bakajin said: So it's going to help keep people from complaining about the game play if they read the comics? Hmm.

So no other form of entertainment treats the apocalypse, zombie or not, with the same gravitas as does TWD?

So no other game kills off popular characters?

So everyone reacts the same way to the same material?

Reading comprehension; not your strongest trait, is it?
    As to your 1st question: Yes; it will help them understand that in a ZA people DIE. Alot. And who is here today is not guaranteed to be here tomorrow.
    Now, you tell me how you derived any of your other questions out of my statement and we can continue this discussion. First, maybe get some fresh air.

Add Comment