User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS] CARLEY [Ep 3 discussion]

posted by Oblivion1659 on - last edited - Viewed by 6.7K users

Hey i am really annoyed about carley being shot when it happend i didnt even want to carry on playing anyway maybe they could bring carly back she could have just been grazed by the bullet.No one even checked to she if she was dead the group could meet up with her again.I wont be buying anymore episodes unless carly comes back my friends also said the same.

Please say in the comments that you want carly back and make a thread about this and then maybe telltale games will see that we want carly back.

558 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Xarne said: Reading comprehension; not your strongest trait, is it?
    As to your 1st question: Yes; it will help them understand that in a ZA people DIE. Alot. And who is here today is not guaranteed to be here tomorrow.
    Now, you tell me how you derived any of your other questions out of my statement and we can continue this discussion. First, maybe get some fresh air.



    Oh please, don't waste my time attempting to flame. It's weak you tried to apply one of my earlier comments here.

    Saying that "people die" is not exactly a trademark of TWD. Pick any of today's "edgy" serial entertainment (Sopranos, Breaking Bad), it's there. Hell, it's a cliche these days.

    Now, you implied the other questions in your statement. It's implicit in the conceit that one can only understand that "people die in a ZA. ALOT" if they read TWD. I trust that most people can get that from, oh, watching the opening scene from any one of the SCREAM movies. It's in any kind of slasher/survival horror stories. You start out with a group, they get knocked off one by one until you have the surviving heroine/hero at the end. The bleak vision of TWD is not new.

    Also implicit in the concept that if people read the books they will "get it" is that everyone reacts the same way to the same material. They may read the books and even suddenly realize that OMG PEOPLE DIE! That doesn't mean they won't come back and complain about Carley getting killed.

    You flat out said that "group-based games allow you to keep teammates til the end or at the very least swap them out temporarily for another." If you read anything about the flap over ME3 you'd know that TWD is certainly not the only game where major characters don't make it until the end.

    Nihilism and anomie are not new concepts.

    Some people like happy endings. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that, annoying though it may be.

  • @Xarne said: Reading comprehension; not your strongest trait, is it?
    As to your 1st question: Yes; it will help them understand that in a ZA people DIE. Alot. And who is here today is not guaranteed to be here tomorrow.
    Now, you tell me how you derived any of your other questions out of my statement and we can continue this discussion. First, maybe get some fresh air.



    I think some people will respond to it differently than others. I mean, I understand that in the Zombie apocalypse are going to die, apparently in droves. But I don't think you'll see some people just come to accept it. Honestly, for me it's a turn off. When I watch a show or read a book, I invest in the characters. Watching them get killed off at a rapid/steady rate just teaches me to avoid becoming "attached" to characters and take a more apathetic approach to the whole series. In essence, it sort of ruins the entire intent of the story/game for me.

  • @bakajin said: Oh please, don't waste my time attempting to flame. It's weak you tried to apply one of my earlier comments here.

    Saying that "people die" is not exactly a trademark of TWD. Pick any of today's "edgy" serial entertainment (Sopranos, Breaking Bad), it's there. Hell, it's a cliche these days.

    Now, you implied the other questions in your statement. It's implicit in the conceit that one can only understand that "people die in a ZA. ALOT" if they read TWD. I trust that most people can get that from, oh, watching the opening scene from any one of the SCREAM movies. It's in any kind of slasher/survival horror stories. You start out with a group, they get knocked off one by one until you have the surviving heroine/hero at the end. The bleak vision of TWD is not new.

    Also implicit in the concept that if people read the books they will "get it" is that everyone reacts the same way to the same material. They may read the books and even suddenly realize that OMG PEOPLE DIE! That doesn't mean they won't come back and complain about Carley getting killed.

    You flat out said that "group-based games allow you to keep teammates til the end or at the very least swap them out temporarily for another." If you read anything about the flap over ME3 you'd know that TWD is certainly not the only game where major characters don't make it until the end.

    Nihilism and anomie are not new concepts.

    Some people like happy endings. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that, annoying though it may be.



    Ok, I cant debate with people who cant process data correctly and worse, distort it or make some kinda of straw man out of it to justify a flawed view.
    - I never said 'people die' was exclusive to TWD
    - I never said TWD is the first game in the world where main character die
    - and I dont imply stuff cause I dont want people confusing what I say
    "People dont like losing their 'friends', especially ones they have a bond with, I get that"- remember this? I do, I said it.

    Quite simply, you said reading the comics would not help the player appreciate the TWD world. I disagreed. You went into some kinda of defensive stance and went on about The Sopranos, Scream and various 'edgy' shows...it wasnt an attack, but you seem to have taken it as one. I didnt realize you were so sensitive, I apologize.

  • @skepticalguy90 said: I think some people will respond to it differently than others. I mean, I understand that in the Zombie apocalypse are going to die, apparently in droves. But I don't think you'll see some people just come to accept it. Honestly, for me it's a turn off. When I watch a show or read a book, I invest in the characters. Watching them get killed off at a rapid/steady rate just teaches me to avoid becoming "attached" to characters and take a more apathetic approach to the whole series. In essence, it sort of ruins the entire intent of the story/game for me.



    That's a shame. The comics kinda gave me that feeling for a while but I'd just end up enjoying the new characters. Issue 100 almost turned me off to the series though, as it did another poster here. Wanting to see a character avenged has kinda got me reading again though.

    In this series (TWDG) I've really enjoyed almost all of the characters. Carley, Lilly, Kenny, Doug, Katjaa, and Duck all really grew on me. Above all though, I dig the interaction and the relationship between Clem and Lee. While episode 3 was brutal, that relationship will easily keep me coming back.

  • @Marleysativa said: That's a shame. The comics kinda gave me that feeling for a while but I'd just end up enjoying the new characters. Issue 100 almost turned me off to the series though, as it did another poster here. Wanting to see a character avenged has kinda got me reading again though.

    In this series (TWDG) I've really enjoyed almost all of the characters. Carley, Lilly, Kenny, Doug, Katjaa, and Duck all really grew on me. Above all though, I dig the interaction and the relationship between Clem and Lee. While episode 3 was brutal, that relationship will easily keep me coming back.



    I think the biggest problem for me with the remaining two episodes, is that you know it is going to get darker. I mean, episode 3 was pretty dark, so I don't think there are many places for TT left to go besides killing Lee/Clem or traumatizing them beyond the point of no return.

  • I haven't read the comics, but knew what to expect. As in everything, there is an element of buyer beware.

    @skepticalguy90 said: I think the biggest problem for me with the remaining two episodes, is that you know it is going to get darker.


    There's a thread here somewhere making predictions for how episode 4 could be worse. I haven't and won't read it. Whatever Telltale comes up with will be horror enough; it's like a dark voyeurism that holds your interest. I wanna see where it goes.

  • @skepticalguy90 said: I think the biggest problem for me with the remaining two episodes, is that you know it is going to get darker. I mean, episode 3 was pretty dark, so I don't think there are many places for TT left to go besides killing Lee/Clem or traumatizing them beyond the point of no return.



    All there is left for me is Clem and everyone else is barely on my radar. If the next episode is supposed to be darker and if one or two in the group are going to die, will I have time to care.

  • Carley was a great character, but I hope she doesn't return. I liked her since Episode 1, and she saved Clementine from a zombie by shooting her when Lee fell over because I couldn't get to her in time. I was kind of disappointed that she wasn't in Episode 2 so much but Telltale really made her at her best in the start of Episode 3. The kiss and flirting between Lee and Carley was really well done and her death was so shocking, and I think it would cheapen her character if they brought her back. The scene leading up to her death was so great though, and when she says "You think you're some tough bitch, don't you? Like nothing can hurt you, but you're just a scared little girl. Get the fuck over it. Take a page from Lee's book and try helping somebody for once"

  • @Xarne said: Ok, I cant debate with people who cant process data correctly and worse, distort it or make some kinda of straw man out of it to justify a flawed view.
    - I never said 'people die' was exclusive to TWD
    - I never said TWD is the first game in the world where main character die
    - and I dont imply stuff cause I dont want people confusing what I say
    "People dont like losing their 'friends', especially ones they have a bond with, I get that"- remember this? I do, I said it.

    Quite simply, you said reading the comics would not help the player appreciate the TWD world. I disagreed. You went into some kinda of defensive stance and went on about The Sopranos, Scream and various 'edgy' shows...it wasnt an attack, but you seem to have taken it as one. I didnt realize you were so sensitive, I apologize.



    Dude, you're the one with the reading issues (how was that not an attack when you said I had reading comprehension issues, btw?). I didn't write that you wrote "people die" was exclusive to TWD. I quoted you exactly using copy/paste. I didn't write you said that TWD "was the first game in the world." Never.

    It's done then.

Add Comment