User Avatar Image

Taking Food: a Moral and Positive Act

posted by JackSchirmer on - last edited - Viewed by 340 users

I found it interesting, how some folks have just assumed that taking the food from the unoccupied vehicle in Episode 2: Starved for Help was wrong. They may have taken it anyway, but no one seemed to want to argue that in fact taking the food was morally right.

I took the food, and what taking the food does is teach Clementine a utilitarian viewpoint that's absolutely essential to learn in the zombie apocalypse. It's also a positive act in that it makes optimal use of a resource that has been very scarce to at least some folks walking the ZA,

There are three likely outcomes wrt the car and the food in it:

1) You leave it alone, continue on without it, and
a) its owners return at some point and eat the food
b) its owners never return and the food spoils

2) You take the food and eat it.

The result of 2) is superior to the cumulative result of 1) because, with 2), the food never goes to waste.

It's not even the case where by choosing 2) you're implying that you're more important than the owners of the car. It's simply by choosing 2), you're ensuring that valuable food does not go to waste.

And that doesn't even take into account the likelihood that the car owners are beyond aid and won't return. After all, under what circumstances would you leave a vehicle open and unlocked like that? The chances that the food inside would spoil are good.

Finally, there's another scenario in which not taking the food is a genuine mistake, namely: it's value to you is enormous. The value to its owners, if they're even alive and still in the area, may be comparatively insignificant. The food may have been only a modest part of their total supplies, an amount they won't inordinately miss, whereas you are certain of it's substantial, even critical value to you and your group. In short, this food cannot be of greater value to the owners of the vehicle than it is to you.

In contrast to what I've seen written elsewhere, by taking the food you've taught Clementine a valuable, positive, moral lesson that will go some way towards increasing the chances of her survival. Later that evening you will, of course, sit down with her and explain the choices and outcomes wrt the car. You'll also be clear with her that if the owners of the car had been present you would not have done more than ask for some of their food.

I'm morally certain that simply leaving the car and its contents alone and taking the good chance that the food will spoil is a profoundly foolish act.

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Plus the world has gone to hell. Morals don't really exist anymore. No Laws either :D

• There's a fine line when it comes to "survival above all else." If we don't acknowledge the fact that we're stealing when we take the food, what separates us from the bandits?

Like I said, it's the smart thing to do (humans can live without food for months, water is much more important) but it's morally wrong. I'm trying to figure out if the OP has morals and pragmatism mixed up.

• @Awesoke said: There's a fine line when it comes to "survival above all else." If we don't acknowledge the fact that we're stealing when we take the food, what separates us from the bandits?

Like I said, it's the smart thing to do (humans can live without food for months, water is much more important) but it's morally wrong. I'm trying to figure out if the OP has morals and pragmatism mixed up.

What separates us from the Bandits? We didn't kill anyone to get the food (Thats exactly what my Lee said)

• Stealing: Taking from an obvious owner.

Finding: Taking something that appears abandoned.

• It's not as black and white as you all make it seem.

Whatever though. That's how I'm interpreting things.

• its pretty black and white too me :p

The car was just sitting there with no indication of where its owners were. So your survival instinct kicks in and you take the stuff

• How is it not black and white?

No one was there.

There was no sign of a struggle, and no one responded to their approach or their appropriation of the items.

They found the vehicle, abandoned, at night. Whoever owned it was long gone or was dead.

Forest - Zombies - Night... not a good combo.

• im wondering if all these decisions are gonna come back and bite me in the ass in Episode 4? lol

• @DreadMagus said: How is it not black and white?

No one was there.

There was no sign of a struggle, and no one responded to their approach or their appropriation of the items.

They found the vehicle, abandoned, at night. Whoever owned it was long gone or was dead.

Forest - Zombies - Night... not a good combo.

I'm not trying to change your opinion but for argument's sake - how is it not black and white?

How about the fact it was an actual decision we had to make in the game. The decisions in the game are meant to evoke a response from you whether it be an ethical or emotional choice. If it was black and white, they wouldn't have put it in the game, or they would just show the cinematic of them getting food from the vehicle without our input.

• I don't think it's black and white, either. The owners could've been around, hiding from us. We were armed, bitter and a large group. The fact that they weren't there doesn't allow us to steal it without repercussions.
    I stole it because we were all hungry and the group needed the food if we were to survive a little longer as a unified team. Had we stayed hungry, we would've fallen apart long before ep. 3.
    Still, stealing the food was wrong and I know it might come and bite me later in the game.

Add Comment