User Avatar Image

Safe to say that this is in development hell?

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 478 users

A couple of my friends asked me about Telltale's take on King's quest. They heard about it ever since they announced that they were going to do it. So far, nothing new has been brought out about the game. So is it safe to say that this game is in development hell? Thats what alot of my friends are coming down with a conclusion for the lack of updates on the development on this.

15 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

Nope. Think about Telltale's track record: Sam & Max 3 wasn't announced until the end of Tales of Monkey Island (even though it was already in development), there was very little information on Back to the Future until soon before it came out, ditto with Jurassic Park and The Walking Dead.

So far as I can tell, it's just not Telltale's model to provide regular updates/info/insight for games in development. We still have 3 episodes of The Walking Dead to go and then Fables as well before we should be expecting King's Quest. Just because they're quiet about it doesn't automatically mean there are problems.

• I'm hoping they remake it, because I'd love to see all of them remade again. Just think what you could do nowadays remaking KQ 1-7

• I would rather a brand new adventure.... I think the old games are fine as they are.. and there have been some real quality fan remakes as well.

• I agree... Too many fan remakes out there already... Probably would cut into the sales of an official remake... Too much market dilution...

Original game is far more marketable.

• I would doubt they would give us alot of information before releasing it. But know this I will be preordering this so fast.

• Takes From Kings Quest?

Nah, Tales From Monkey Island season 2 please. More fans, more opportunities.

• I want to see a new story in the King's Quest universe. And a fresh sensibility, quite honestly -- I've played and enjoyed the old games, but I want to see some new ideas brought to bear.

• @gamingafter40 said: I want to see a new story in the King's Quest universe. And a fresh sensibility, quite honestly -- I've played and enjoyed the old games, but I want to see some new ideas brought to bear.

Good post. I think it would also be great if the game was divided into nine chapters. Three in which you play Graham, three Alexander, and three Rosella. What do you guys think?

• Three in which you play Graham, three Alexander, and three Rosella.

That's way too many characters to focus on in short chunks that Telltale offers, it would dillute the story too much. I'd prefer if it sticks to one or at the most two characters.

I'd be more affraid that it would end up turning KQ more int Sam & Max Season 1 where there are several separate stories, but a very weak overall connecting story.

Tales of Monkey Island's progression is closer to what I want to see... A good story, that grows as each chapter is released, and becomes more complicated. Not a bunch of more or less stand alone stories.

I'd personally prefer if they focus on a single character, for 'season 1', and if its successful, focus on a new character for 'season 2'.

• I'd love if the game had two protagonists: Graham, first and primarily, and Rosella secondly. My two favorite KQ protagonists.

Or...Why not drift a little from the usual? How about a KQ game which has one of the Royal "In Laws" as a protagonist--For example Edgar or Cassima?

Add Comment