User Avatar Image

[SPOILERS]Ben's character and deeds

posted by SouthWardRB on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

Either you saved Carley or Doug. These great characters shall be avenged. Yeah, Lilly killed them, BUT Ben was giving the extra stuff to the bandits, wich caused the whole thing.

These were great characters, ones who shouldn't be forgotten. Ben, a stupid little teenager who is more scared of everything then a 12 year old.

Please, by joining this thread, you 100% guarantee that you WILL kill Ben, at the first time you get.

376 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If you got people in my group killed, yeah, you would hate being a part of it.

• @lackingsaint said: Jesus, what the hell is wrong with you people? Wanting to kill Ben?

I do find it interesting that the penalty for murder is banishment, while stealing and lying seem warrant the death penalty.

• Because a murderer can still perform a service, they're more likely to kill zombies during their exile. Those are zombies you don't have to deal with.

A Thief on the other hand, is sneaky - so they avoid stuff, and are thus of no value.

True story.

• @DreadMagus said: If you got people in my group killed, yeah, you would hate being a part of it.

An odd defense to use, considering Ben is one of the few people who hasn't directly killed anyone else in the group (considering Lily and Kenny). I could just as well say Carley should have died as punishment for the death of Doug, because we saved her and she had that gun!

• No.

That's just... lulzworthy.

You could only save one or the other and you didn't create the situation.

Ben's actions on the other hand, no one needed "saving" before he got the ball rolling and he created it.

• @DreadMagus said: No.

That's just... lulzworthy.

You could only save one or the other and you didn't create the situation.

Ben's actions on the other hand, no one needed "saving" before he got the ball rolling and he created it.

Why don't we blame Lee for Mark's death, then? It is Lee who suggests that they can "check the perimeter" by themselves, which is what leads to eventual chopping off and eating of Mark's legs.

For that matter, let's blame Glenn for the everyone's death so far. He was the one that led us to the Motor Inn where everyone (save for Shaun and Carley/Doug) died. If we had never gone to motor inn, maybe everyone would still be alive.

Here's what I think would have happened had Ben not believed the bandits when they claimed they had his friend...They would have kept attacking the motor inn. They would have been unrelenting. We would have been forced to leave much sooner. We could have possibly saved more lives, but then again, we could have possibly lost more people in continuing Bandit attacks. Lilly would have still been on the brink of losing it - maybe we could have "stepped on eggshells" until Lilly could have a chance to heal. Or maybe she would have gone crazy and shot somebody at the drop of the hat. Pretty sure it would have been the latter, because she had a habit of becoming MORE hostile when things didn't go her way.

There would have been much more conflict down the line. The group would have still been fractured (losing people has a way to unite the survivors). Every member still would have been self-serving. I doubt Lilly would take very kindly to Chuck, Christa or Omid joining the group (based on her character when we first meet her, and then when Ben joins the group, she is inherently distrustful of newcomers).

So yes, Ben made a stupid decision. I still think that things wold have not necessarily been better had he NOT made the deal with the bandits. Hopefully we've ALL learned what happens when we keep secrets from one another, and how dangerous it can be. I don't believe that Ben is responsible for anyone's death. And now, we have the added benefit of him having to try harder to redeem himself.

Besides, I think Chuck teaches us a very valuable lesson - whatever we were, right now, WE ARE ALIVE. We shouldn't discriminate against each other like the bandits. Ben is, at his core, a good person. I don't think we can afford to discount him based on one bad decision.

• @Sisterofshane said: Ben is, at his core, a good person. I don't think we can afford to discount him based on one bad decision.

Agreed. I also think that had he not made a deal with the bandits, he would have been the first casualty.

• @DreadMagus said: Because a murderer can still perform a service, they're more likely to kill zombies during their exile. Those are zombies you don't have to deal with.

A Thief on the other hand, is sneaky - so they avoid stuff, and are thus of no value.

True story.

I agree on this point. Lee is living proof that a convicted killer is capable of caring for a child and helping people out. Shit happened for him. He lost control and he killed someone.

Stealing meds is another matter altogether. It's a calculated move. It didn't matter that Ben had good intensions - the fact was, he stole from the group when he should have consulted them about the dealings with the bandit.

I'm not saying that Ben is an evil person that deserved to be killed, but anyone who puts thought into making decisions that are detrimental to the team is of no value.

• @Sisterofshane said: Why don't we blame Lee for Mark's death, then? It is Lee who suggests that they can "check the perimeter" by themselves, which is what leads to eventual chopping off and eating of Mark's legs.

Wow, I'm utterly amazed at how many ways and times you can split that hair. :D

• @DreadMagus said: Wow, I'm utterly amazed at how many ways and times you can split that hair. :D

dread you have no idea ;)

Add Comment