User Avatar Image

Help me to learn English Like a native

posted by N7. on - last edited - Viewed by 2.3K users

Hi, I would like to learn English but in our country and in our schools they really don't teach us English! just a little about grammatical rules :( I learned a little by myself ! but still I have some problems

I just need you guys come here some times and help me to find out some of my questions about this language

thanks

186 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • English is a very complicated language, but native speakers can often understand you even if you do not say something exactly right. Keep practicing!

You may want to spend some time looking over the Simple English version of Wikipedia, where people try to write in simple, common words. See if you can understand the articles there.

There is also Ogden's List of 850 basic English words, that he thought were most important, but that was back in 1930, so it is a bit out of date. You can still see if you understand them all.

• Yeah, don't worry about grammar, native speakers don't. :p

However, seriously, please do. You'll end up sounding better than most.

• @N7. said: Thanks again, my main problem is that I just know 3500 Words in English

I tried to learn more but it's so hard

I want to know which words are more important in this language

Could you refer some of them ?

I'd actually suggest reading children's books (not necessarily the illustrated kind. Could be short novels). If you've got gaps in words that you should know then it's a good way to correct that because you've got all the time you need to look up that word. And since it's fiction, it's likely that those same words will show up multiple times within the story so you'll get a bit of practice in.

If you're not a reader, picking an interesting show to watch in English would be a good second option.

• @Alcoremortis said: I'd actually suggest reading children's books (not necessarily the illustrated kind. Could be short novels). If you've got gaps in words that you should know then it's a good way to correct that because you've got all the time you need to look up that word. And since it's fiction, it's likely that those same words will show up multiple times within the story so you'll get a bit of practice in.

If you're not a reader, picking an interesting show to watch in English would be a good second option.

I second the idea of trying children's books.

Perhaps try books you've already read in your native tongue, so that you can get the general gist of the story. That'll help you puzzle out the meaning of words on your own. I'd say the Harry Potter books might be worth a try, seeing as each book becomes more complex than the previous one, which may help you build up your language skills.

• English is a very complicated language.

No it isn't.

I'm not saying that learning English should be a piece of cake, but Russian is far-far more complicated, and English is incredibly simple in comparison :p (And I'm sure there are several languages more complicated than Russian)

• English is the hardest language to master(it's all because of our rule exceptions and plurals), but it's not like any one uses proper grammar any more.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Johro said: English is the hardest language to master(it's all because of our rule exceptions and plurals), but it's not like any one uses proper grammar any more.

lachen.gif

English doesn't even have a grammatical gender. And that's what kicks a language's arbitrariness way up! In English, rule exceptions in spoken language are relatively seldom; analogy is the right path 90% of the time. The hard part is the arbitrary spelling, particularly the defunct spoken/written vowel sound/letter connection. But that's about it.

http://mylanguages.org/difficult_languages.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Difficulty_of_learning_languages
    http://www.lexiophiles.com/featured-articles/top-list-of-the-hardest-languages-to-learn
    http://www.fluentin3months.com/most-difficult-language/

• we lean in english in iran.. who said we dont learn
    english here
    n7 iknow that we dont have a good books but we have english class and you know it too.
    but if you want you can خواستن توانستن هست
    im happy that i can found one of my compatriot
    im going to say something about a people who think iran is Arab
    ok forget that. we are not arab we are persian

• @Vainamoinen said:
    English doesn't even have a grammatical gender.

True, but I never really had problems with genders. I guess it's something else to learn, but once you get the hang of them, words just look "right". Maybe that's just me, I have a pretty good memory. It's really the fluidity of the spoken sentences that is the hardest in English I suppose. You could have two synonyms, but one is never used in a particular sentence and there is no way to know that but practise(a lot of languages are similar, but boy do we love our synonyms). I work with a dude who's native French, but has spoken fluent English for 15 years.... and every now and then there's still a slip.

Add Comment