User Avatar Image

The First Video Game You Ever Played?

posted by Ringed Raygun on - last edited - Viewed by 468 users

The very first one you've played -- or at least remember playing? Looking for non-kiddie stuff here -- the first REAL video game, with a dedicated story and non-educational entertainment and such?

For me, it was Starship Titanic. Funny game, great design, weird logic. I finally beat it only about a year ago after an enormous pause. This was shortly followed by Grim Fandango, which I was also clueless at. Didn't even get past the second year until I revisited it so long after my first tries at it -- and I had to be helped to even accomplish that.

Weird games for a three or four year old to play, though. X_x Hehe, to explain, they were my brother's, and I borrowed them for some . . . reason I can't remember. He's just under 10 years older than me -- probably he just showed them to me so I wouldn't bother him while he played Playstation or something.

Whenever I was done I'd play a Sesame Street thing or something. I don't know.

/life story

So what's the first non-kiddie game you remember playing? Not looking for any arguments on what really constitutes a "non-kiddie game," and you should know what I mean by that.

77 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The first video game I remember playing was this old computer game that involved driving a bus and picking up school children and avoiding obstacles in the road. I think there was a timer at the top(so they'd get to school on time) but I'm not sure, heck I don't remember the name of it but it was a cute game.

The first "mature" game I've ever played was Devil May Cry. I begged my Mom to help me rent it since I was 11-12 at the time and couldn't myself. She looked at it and gave me the okay and I took it home. Back then I wasn't the "gamer" in the family, my sister was but she was afraid of the game. So I took the game and played it all the way through to show it wasn't scary and I surprisingly had fun. And that's how I kept playing games lol

• Something on Commodore 62... I think it was a Donald Duck game in which you had to work in different factories in form of minigames so you could make money to buy stuff to your playground from Goofy :D

edit: The game's Donald Duck's Playground, and you bought the stuff from Minnie, Mickey and Goofy.

• Will I go to jail for playing MK at 4?

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@coolsome said: Will I go to jail for playing MK at 4?

Actually, that's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from you, coolies.

• @Darth Marsden said: Actually, that's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from you, coolies.

I think we only had like 2 games on the Super Nintendo at first (at lest thats all I remember)Super Mario World and Mortal Kombat. I probably played Mario first but I fondly remember both.

• Didn't the SNES version of MK have all blood removed from it?

• @Farlander said: Didn't the SNES version of MK have all blood removed from it?

Yes but its just what introduced me to the series. MK 2+ didn't have anything removed

• Super Mario Bros. at the age of 5.

• @Farlander said: Didn't the SNES version of MK have all blood removed from it?

@Farlander said: Yes but its just what introduced me to the series. MK 2+ didn't have anything removed

0523186985453842.JPG?0.02708596779707051

Ah yes, the infamous grey sweat of SNES MK. A floppier variety drenched Nintendo's corporate forehead as it was spectacularly outsold by the uncensored Genesis version. At least until a few years later, while pondering the imminent release of a sweat-soaked sequel, when a brash and ambitious junior executive, with an eye on the corner office, stopped [snip] just long enough to be struck by the sudden insight that [snip].

• attachment.php?attachmentid=3270&stc=1&d

I also remember playing a 3d vector graphics tank game from a 5 1/4" floppy disk, but I don't remember its name.

Add Comment