User Avatar Image

No-one can be trusted.

posted by HyperShot12 on - last edited - Viewed by 390 users

After playing the first 3 episodes, I have come to the conclusion that no-one in the group can be trusted. After playing Episode 1, I thought that Kenny would be my most loyal companion but a lot of players, including me, fell out with him during the Meat Locker scene in Episode 2. Everyone who you might be able to trust somehow dies or leaves in one way or another. Doug/Carley (whichever one you saved) was next on my list of being trusted, but they were shot down by Lilly, who then also left the group. Finally, Duck and Katjaa are gone now too and I feel like there is no-one in the group I can trust anymore. Even Clementine has been lying to me, and seems to trust the stranger on her radio more than Lee because she thinks they have their parents. The group is falling apart and when the 2 newcomers arrived at the end of Episode 3, somehow I think they will die too or betray the group in some way. Even Ben, who is basically still a kid cannot be trusted, because he was the one who supplied the bandits and caused Doug/Carley to die and Lilly to leave. What are your thoughts? Should we trust ANYONE in the group? Or can Lee manage on his own?

51 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'll tell you what..when Christa asked if the rest of the group could be trusted, I looked at what was left of the "group" from the overpass. Kenny - Hated and left me to die multiple times, Ben - a traitor and Chuck - just met. That was the first time I think I ever selected "..." as Lee's response. Poor Clem had to vouch for the rest of the group.

• @HyperShot12 said: After playing the first 3 episodes, I have come to the conclusion that no-one in the group can be trusted. After playing Episode 1, I thought that Kenny would be my most loyal companion but a lot of players, including me, fell out with him during the Meat Locker scene in Episode 2. Everyone who you might be able to trust somehow dies or leaves in one way or another. Doug/Carley (whichever one you saved) was next on my list of being trusted, but they were shot down by Lilly, who then also left the group. Finally, Duck and Katjaa are gone now too and I feel like there is no-one in the group I can trust anymore. Even Clementine has been lying to me, and seems to trust the stranger on her radio more than Lee because she thinks they have their parents. The group is falling apart and when the 2 newcomers arrived at the end of Episode 3, somehow I think they will die too or betray the group in some way. Even Ben, who is basically still a kid cannot be trusted, because he was the one who supplied the bandits and caused Doug/Carley to die and Lilly to leave. What are your thoughts? Should we trust ANYONE in the group? Or can Lee manage on his own?

How I have looked at it is trust is earned. I trust every character that has done right by Lee and Clementine and has saved Lee up until the point that changes. Kenny saved me once in episode 1 even though it was scripted that he had to as there was no one else in the room, I trusted him up until he hid when Danny was pointing his gun at Lee. From then on I have been weary of Kenny. Clementine was the first of the characters to save Lee's life when he was attacked by her baby sitter. I thought it strange that she did not tell Lee about the radio but I think that is more of a game writers choice than it is a dark side to her personality so I don't hold that against her. She is generally innocent and honest. I don't trust Ben because he will do whatever it takes to save his own skin and hasn't done anything for Lee or Clementine yet to prove his value to the group. Chuck seems decent and has been honest and upfront. Omid has already saved Lee in his short time in the game so I don't see him as a threat but his partner seems to hide secrets and may become dishonest.

• @cormoran said: I trust Kenny more than ever now that his family is dead, he's not exactly going to be placing their health in front of Lee or Clem now. I'm pretty certain at this point he's looking to die in a way to make up for his decision on Herschels farm too, so he will likely put himself in front of any danger.

I still trust Ben. He did what he thought was right, it was a poor decision but he won't make it again. In the end it was the only thing stopping those bandits from attacking earlier. That confrontation was going to happen eventually anyway.

Clems situation with the radio isn't really a matter of trust for me. She's a little girl, she's been pretending to talk to her parents on that radio, that guy knows enough to be able to manipulate her into not telling anyone. Much like Ben this was a bad decision but it's not one she's going to make again.

I'm not so sure about Chuck, something about him just doesn't rub me right. Omid and Christa seem fine though.

Ben's crime was not that he was secretly giving the bandits food, it was the fact that he let Carly die for him and was even willing to watch you die when you tell Lilly it was you who took the food. Yes he was afraid but I don't except that as an excuse. He lacks integrity. The only reason he later admits to Lee that it was him is because of guilt. He offered to leave the group to get out of the RV, had he have admitted to stealing the food Lilly would not have wasted a bullet on him, she would have kicked him out of the RV and left him to the walkers, giving the group chance to persuade her to give him another chance. Carly death was unnecessary, she died sticking up for him, the guy who was willing to let both Carly and Lee die to prove his innocence when he was actually lying. If Ben survives by the end of chapter 5 I will be outraged. Mark would have been a much better group member than Ben. Ben should have died on the farm instead of Mark.

• @Dead_Man_Walking said: That's true. To me, Chuck doesn't match that profile, though. I may be completely wrong, as he's just a character and can 180 at anytime, but Chuck could have killed everyone if he so desired. Kenny was in the lead car of the train, Lee was in the boxcar, the kids and Kat were outside... And he knew about everyone before they knew about him (He even got the drop on Lee).

The only concern I have about Chuck is the fact that he drinks. That might hold for something, down the road, but I doubt it. He could just be another "Mark" character, and dies off early (Or leaves) in the next episode. Chuck does seem to have sincere concerns, however (Giving Lee very blunt advice about Clemmy), my main reason for accepting him is that he doesn't seem to pry. So, unless he's a silent killer (If he is, I'm calling him SBD (Silent, But Deadly) from then on), he's okay in my books. For now. :D

Chuck didn't have any weapons. Lee had a handgun and a metal bar spike, Kat had a hand gun and is in a larger group, Kenny also has a gun. I don't think Chuck is a threat but he could not have done anything to Lee or the rest of the group if he wanted to. He was hiding from them until he realised they were safe.

• Chuck has candy. He has earned my trust.

• @Rock114 said: Chuck has candy. He has earned my trust.

Agreed. ALL PRAISE THE CANDYMAN.

• The Candy Man can cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good!

• @Master of Aeons said: The Candy Man can cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good!

Dont forget that it's free. Can't beat free candy.

• I didn't trust Chuck's candy when I first heard of it, but Imma give him a chance...

Add Comment