User Avatar Image

The Mystery Voice: A Plausible Scenario

posted by JackSchirmer on - last edited - Viewed by 873 users

A scenario occurred to me whereby the mysterious voice over Clem's walkie-talkie is entirely benevolent (albeit on the suspicious side). I'll leave interested readers to fill in a few blanks.

Clem's dad was injured. Clem's mom brought the dad to the hospital in Savannah. Mystery Voice was a nurse at the hosptial, and his hobby is shortwave radio (heck, why not). In tending to Clem's dad MV becomes friendly with both parents. The mom in particular confides their dilemna. Her husband is ill and their child is back in Macon, ostensibly under the care of a babysitter, but as the night progresses it becomes clear that all hell is breaking loose throughout the region, so mom gets more than desperate enough to discuss things with a stranger. Clem's mom mentions the walkie-talkie and shows her wt to MV who says, 'aha, that won't reach Macon, but I know how to boost the signal, if that'll help, and how to pick up weak signals at long distances'. As the ZA worsens, the nurse/ham radio operator gets seperated from Clem mere et pere, and out of concern for their little girl attempts to contact her through his shortwave equipment. He's holed up in his apartment and as he begins to talk with Clem learns that she's currently with a middling sized group of armed, angry people who sometimes hit each other.

Now, if you're MV, wouldn't you want to reunite Clem with her parents, but without exposing yourself to this armed group unnecessarily? Wouldn't you rather take a look at them first without revealing yourself? One way to do that is to stay in touch with Clem but without revealing yourself to this Lee character, and that homeless guy she mentioned. The obvious way to do that is to ask Clem to keep your conversations with her a secret for the time being. Also, given that you'd be able to tell Clem some specifics about her parents, you'd be able to prove to her that you knew them. Plus, Clem also thinks that just maybe one of the people in her group shot a kid. It happened out in the woods so she's nor sure. Also, this Lee guy cut Clem's hair. What kind of weirdo gives haircuts during the ZA?

Far better to conceal your identity and location until you get a look at this odd bunch--before revealing yourself and before leading them to Clem's parents whom you like and who may be very vulnerable if they're even still alive--than blindly give out too much information to armed adults you don't know but who sound pretty darned sketchy.

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Viden said: Wouldn't it be the other way around, though? Her walkie-talkie can only transmit so far, but a ham radio can send messages much further.

Considering how broken the transmission was that Lee and Kenny heard in the cab, evidently not. I think Clem's walkie talkie had to be within range of Savannah to receive.

@Viden said: if you had something sensitive enough to pick up a walkie talkie from that far away it would be sensitive enough to pick up all the white noise from the universe and the signal would just get lost in that white noise

It's only 166 miles between Macon and Savannah, no need to get carried away.

It's a theory. You think of a better one, let me know.

• @Cyreen said: Considering how broken the transmission was that Lee and Kenny heard in the cab, evidently not. I think Clem's walkie talkie had to be within range of Savannah to receive.

It's only 166 miles between Macon and Savannah, no need to get carried away.

It's a theory. You think of a better one, let me know.

but how powerful could that walkie talkie be? to stand out from the white noise takes power.

my theory is that he heard her talking to her parents on the train near savannah and decided to take advantage of her knowing she is on the way

• As noted by Christa, it's definitely not a Fisher Price, and it's not how much range the walkie talkie has, but how much range his ham radio has that's relevant. How long he's been listening will be determined by how much he knows about their group.

• @Cyreen said: As noted by Christa, it's definitely not a Fisher Price, and it's not how much range the walkie talkie has, but how much range his radio has that's relevant. How long he's been listening will be determined by how much he knows about their group.

i really think it is about the power of the transmission, i will have to do some research, but even 100 miles is a massive distance for a hand held radio transmitter.

Edit: for the moment i cant even find one that can reach more than 30 miles and that is extremely dependant on terrain and its line of sight so you cant overcome the curvature of the earth

• Yeah, I think someone in savannah is out.

• I'm chalking up that super powerful children's walkie to convenient plot device. Like certain characters in the comics traveling hundreds and hundreds of miles, over many days, without any incident (no traffic jams, roadblocks by bandits, herds of walkers, etc.). When it's not important to the story, they encounter no trouble, while some weeks it seems like there's a new terrifying obstacle every day.

For what it's worth, I had a 70s era walkie talkie as a kid that could pick up CB and ham radio transmissions, but it couldn't broadcast far enough for anyone to ever hear me back. Picking up a signal from Savannah is entirely plausible, but sending one there with that walkie seems fictional to me. Here's where it'd be nice if they could say it really was broken and Doug fixed it and modified its range...

• But how could Doug fix it? He was eaten by walkers at the drug store, remember?

• @Rock114 said: But how could Doug fix it? He was eaten by walkers at the drug store, remember?

more like shot by Lilly

• @Joe Newberry said: For what it's worth, I had a 70s era walkie talkie as a kid that could pick up CB and ham radio transmissions, but it couldn't broadcast far enough for anyone to ever hear me back.

Thank you!

However, if you talked to Christa in episode three you know that wasn't a children's walkie. I suspect it was her dad's toy first.

@Joe Newberry said: But how could Doug fix it? He was eaten by walkers at the drug store, remember?

You're taking the word of an 8-year-old that it was broken to begin with. The batteries were probably dead and she chipped it or something and because it wasn't working, it was "broken".

• Well, her dad's an engineer, right?

It might not be a toy, it might have been something he used on the job.

Add Comment