User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 183.7K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That's a good thing. It stops schools from dumbing down the classes to increase grad rates. Canada has a similar system. I had a real tough time with my problems, but I pulled through and did it. No, it wasn't easy and it shouldn't be.

• @Johro said: That's a good thing. It stops schools from dumbing down the classes to increase grad rates. Canada has a similar system. I had a real tough time with my problems, but I pulled through and did it. No, it wasn't easy and it shouldn't be.

The problem is that many states don't have practical alternatives, so you have students that are unskilled, condemned to a entry level job. It would be different if they were getting trained in a craft.

• So I've decided to get my Signed Hideo Kojima poster professionally framed. That is something I will treasure forever.

• @DAISHI said: The problem is that many states don't have practical alternatives, so you have students that are unskilled, condemned to a entry level job. It would be different if they were getting trained in a craft.

Don't you have trades classes in college?

If you fail high school here, yes, you pretty much are guaranteed a crappy entry level job. Don't fail high school. That's what summer school is for. Plus classes are generally all semestered. That's 3 shots at any given grade 12 course.

I'll be honest, I had problems. I had to take summer school 2/3 years of high school and I had to repeat 1 class and take it both semesters of grade 12. I'm not an idiot, I'm just not an auditory learner which is death in high school if you don't have it figured out by then and find alternate avenues of educating yourself.

In the end, I had like double the required amount of credits because of all the classe(I didn't fail fail, but I didn't have a firm grasp of the material the first time)...Plus I only took one spare block in 3 years. That'll do it :p

• I don't understand what's so wrong with both believing in science and having religious faith at the same time.

At the risk of being trolled, I believe in God. I believe that He is perfect and I am not, and that He required a perfect sacrifice to be made in my stead (in the person of Jesus Christ.) I also believe He gave me imagination, curiosity, creativity and intelligence. I believe that he gave me the ability and the desire to understand the world... the universe around me. And I believe that scientific research is a valid (and valuable) tool with which to better understand His creation.

Why is it so hard for the scientific community to accept that a truth which answers "why" is as valid as a fact which answers "how"? And why is it so hard for communities of faith to seek and accept scientific understanding of our world/universe/continuum?

• @Icedhope said: So I've decided to get my Signed Hideo Kojima poster professionally framed. That is something I will treasure forever.

I'm giving mine away!

Also, I still eat at Chick-Fil-A. Because I don't care.

• @Secret Fawful said: I'm giving mine away!

..you know I have always loved you.

• @coolsome said: ..you know I have always loved you.

Not to you, bad Dragonball music lover. It was spoken for even before I entered the line to meet Kojima.

• @Chyron8472 said: I don't understand what's so wrong with both believing in science and having religious faith at the same time.

At the risk of being trolled, I believe in God. I believe that He is perfect and I am not, and that He required a perfect sacrifice to be made in my stead (in the person of Jesus Christ.) I also believe He gave me imagination, curiosity, creativity and intelligence. I believe that he gave me the ability and the desire to understand the world... the universe around me. And I believe that scientific research is a valid (and valuable) tool with which to better understand His creation.

Why is it so hard for the scientific community to accept that a truth which answers "why" is as valid as a fact which answers "how"? And why is it so hard for communities of faith to seek and accept scientific understanding of our world/universe/continuum?

I think it's more of a type of mindset, really. Scientific thought tends to create a rather rational and logical mindset, which makes it difficult to accept ideas without adequate proof. A large part of the basis of science rests on being able to recreate experiments to verify previous results. One of the things scientists treasure is when someone is able to find a way to disprove a previously held constant. I'm afraid that religion just doesn't work that way. You can't measure all of the variables of a miracle and then try to recreate it.

On the other side, it seems to be difficult for religiously minded people to fully grasp science for the reason that science isn't constant. There is no set of ordered rules about how the world works. There's theories, which are constantly revised and altered with new data. And I understand that this makes people uncomfortable, as if the world they left yesterday has disappeared with the new information, whereas religion is more rigid and formulated and never really changes that much. God doesn't come down and rewrite the Bible to include evolution or say that it's now alright to eat shellfish and pork, you know?

Now, this isn't to say that these mindset's can't be merged, but you can probably see why it would be difficult to do so. And it doesn't help that a lot of religious people feel threatened by science, by the way it constantly overturns long-held beliefs... and conversely, the way scientists feel threatened by religion, which dictates much of the law governing science without really understanding it.

I think I might have given too long of an answer for this.

• @Chyron8472 said: I don't understand what's so wrong with both believing in science and having religious faith at the same time.

Nobody says it is. I'm a man of faith. But I would never teach Creationism in a class room, first of all because it's nonsense, second of all because why not then just teach the creation story of every religion? These stories have no predictive value and no point of revision. Evolution is useful because it provides a framework, predictive values and the ability to be revised. Its strange to me that the majority of Christian religious individuals can't accept the truth that Genesis is allegorical.

This discussion has been closed.