User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 199.6K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Don't you believe people lived hundreds of years back then?

• There were only dinosaurs and Rambo then.

• I need to do something creative.
    Sitting around moping about failure isn't going to do me any good.
    Gotta bounce back.

EDIT: I made a pseudo-origami snake.
    I mean it kinda looks like a snake... (A bit on the fat side. Like a leech)

• @Johro said: Don't you believe people lived hundreds of years back then?

There are multiple accounts of this happening from the ancient world, in Mesopotamian steles and records from China. Either the ancients reckoned time differently, actually did live centuries, or had a common mythological basis from Israel to Beijing. I'm interested in common elements of global mythologies and stories so that last bit fascinates me.

• Or maybe they all lived within an easy commute of the Fountain of Youth.

• I would assume it's the whole tracking of time. It's one thing to make it near 200(accounts I've heard from Asia), but it's another to just toss out "700-1200 years" like it's nothing. Now, I'm not a big believer in any religious/mythological texts, but everything tends to have a rudimentary basis from somewhere, someone, sometime and it's not like the wording was meant to impress anyone in regards to age. My assumption, again, would just be the lack of technology to track time in a standard way.

After all, there are parts of our body that do not naturally regenerate and there's the whole oxidisation and chemical bonds thing. I'm not about to do all the research right now, but there is a limit on how long our body can hold it's self together and I would imagine it would be under 700 years. ...or maybe there was a magical fountain of youth.

• Nope, totally fountain of youth.

• The second I saw Johro defend the South, I thought "You would say that, you're from Edmonton".

Which probably doesn't make much sense to people who haven't lived there.

Anyways, of course there are awesome people in Georgia. I can name at least three.

About science and religion, I have to say that not before I moved to North America had I ever heard any religious person who thought that their religion wasn't compatible with evolution being basic knowledge.

• Edmonton is actually fairly divided. I am far far from southern culture. Yes, there are some hicks here, but I'm far from that. I'm actually laughing at that post. ;p
    I actually get called a yankee a lot from southerners. I'm not even american, what the hell?

I just don't like stereotyping.

• @Johro said: Edmonton is actually fairly divided. I am far far from southern culture. Yes, there are some hicks here, but I'm far from that. I'm actually laughing at that post. ;p
    I actually get called a yankee a lot from southerners. I'm not even american, what the hell?

I just don't like stereotyping.

I’m a fan of southern culture. Although I live in costal California, i’ve always wanted to live in Texas. I love southern music, food, and outfits.

As for them calling you a yankee, they call everyone that.

This discussion has been closed.