User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 199.7K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh, don't worry. Just as soon as my Monkey Island 2 box gets back from San Rafael, I'll have proof that it really did happen.

...I have to be up in five hours. WHY THE HELL AM I AWAKE?

• @GuruGuru214 said: Oh, don't worry. Just as soon as my Monkey Island 2 box gets back from San Rafael, I'll have proof that it really did happen.

...I have to be up in five hours. WHY THE HELL AM I AWAKE?

Because you missed us...you know you did.

• I guess this means we have to start making plans for Comic Con now...

• @Alcoremortis said: I guess this means we have to start making plans for Comic Con now...

Yes, yes we do.

• Ooh, then I can get my MI2 box signed by Steve Purcell! Then it will be complete and I'll have to get a display case for it.

Also, I have to go to sleep so I can get up at 4:30 to go to work, and there's a cricket in my room. Guess I'll be needing the iPod to get to sleep tonight after all.

• @Johro said: Edmonton is actually fairly divided. I am far far from southern culture. Yes, there are some hicks here, but I'm far from that. I'm actually laughing at that post. ;p
    I actually get called a yankee a lot from southerners. I'm not even american, what the hell?

I just don't like stereotyping.

I didn't mean Edmonton was southern. I meant that, just like the US south, Alberta is commonly stereotyped as racist, homophobic, etc, and since you live in Edmonton, you've probably heard that stereotyping. And that would be annoying when you're none of these things.

To be fair, when I lived in Edmonton IS when I encountered the most racist and homophobic people of any place I've ever lived (both in numbers and intensity) but it doesn't change the fact that neither me nor the people I chose to associate with were any of that. So yeah, stereotyping a whole area gets annoying on the people who live in that area and don't match the stereotype. Which was my point.

It would probably have been clearer if I had said "Alberta" rather than Edmonton. As I understand it, the rest of Alberta is worse on average (from what Albertans have told me. I pretty much only lived in Edmonton. And Vegreville for a while, but that's almost the same, it's only an hour away).

• Well yeah, Alberta and Saskatchewan are the "southern" provinces of Canada generally. One's industrial, one's farmers. Pick your poison really.
    It really is about who you choose to associate yourself with though. I guess the real difference is that those type of folks are fairly quiet and non-aggressive about their beliefs.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@Alcoremortis said: I think it's more of a type of mindset, really. Scientific thought tends to create a rather rational and logical mindset, which makes it difficult to accept ideas without adequate proof.

The most religious man I ever met - and religious meant here in an entirely positive sense for a change - was a chemist by trade. A VERY good one at that. Worked with my grandfather for Bayer.

You're being confronted with a lot of fundamentalist religious thought in the States, and that definitely makes science and religion incompatible. It might be very different somewhere else.

• Ok. Ok. I got it.
    The best fanfiction cross-over idea ever!!

Teengage Mutant Ninja Turtles X Star Wars

Think about it! XD

• @RetroVortex said: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles X Star Wars

So that's where Yoda came from?

This discussion has been closed.