User Avatar Image

[WD] Lost save-files

posted by nasso on - last edited - Viewed by 22.5K users

My savefiles are just... lost.

I played through the entire episode earlier today. I continued from a savefile from yesterday. Worked like a charm.

When i sat down just now to play through the game again, a second time, to make other decisions i wanted to start from a new save file but i found out that my old was gone.

This was all done from the same computer. I haven't installed the game on any other machine.

I'm really bummed out because the decisions i made in the first save file are the ones i want to continue episode 2 with. And what happens if this happens again? What if i loose my save file when i have completed episode 4??!?!?!?

Has this happened to anyone else and how do i fix this?

Edit: when i started the walking dead game i was also starting up diablo 3. I got some errors about direct 3d from walking dead game and when i restarted the game it started in windowed mode 1024x768 so my settings where reset. this was just before i found out that the save files where missing.

Edit: im unable to reproduce this now. but i think i started diablo 3 first. is it possible that this is some racecondition that caused the walking dead game to fail to sync to steam cloud and reset its settings and save files? the windowed thing is weird though, i dont remember that being standard...

78 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Tried all solutions nothing worked.
    So Telltale, where is the official fix or any kind of statement? My buddy that is affected and that I am trying to help also sent you a support inquiry by mail but you failed to answer so far.

• *Bump*

Telltale fix this already.

• I've given up on getting a functioning product. I strongly suggest everyone who paid with a credit card do a chargeback. It's obvious at this point that Telltale has no intentions of fixing this debilitating issue and, quite frankly, the game is being sold fraudulently as for a good number of people it is flat unplayable due to saves not registering.

• *BUMP*

Still no attempt at even replying regarding this issue?
    Well done TT, well done.

• The official support forums here are called "Home of Tears". Do you really expect anything?

• Yeah it's been weeks now. Telltale, we love your game but it's just not the same without our choices saved - can you please address this, or at least let us know you are working on a fix?

• Got an unsatisfying answer from Telltale:

I apologize for the problem you are experiencing. We are aware of this issue, and currently investigating a potential solution. Unfortunately, once the saves are dissociated from your prefs file, they will no longer appear on the in-game save screen. This can occur when saves are corrupted or when they are manually reset by holding the spacebar while launching the game. The only recourse is to replay episodes 1 and 2 or play episode 3 with randomly generated choices.

I guess it's not a big deal to replay them, but I'm going to wait until all five episodes are out. I don't want to risk this same bug every single time a new episode comes out. Grrr...

• @wreckratz said: Got an unsatisfying answer from Telltale:

I apologize for the problem you are experiencing. We are aware of this issue, and currently investigating a potential solution. Unfortunately, once the saves are dissociated from your prefs file, they will no longer appear on the in-game save screen. This can occur when saves are corrupted or when they are manually reset by holding the spacebar while launching the game. The only recourse is to replay episodes 1 and 2 or play episode 3 with randomly generated choices.

I guess it's not a big deal to replay them, but I'm going to wait until all five episodes are out. I don't want to risk this same bug every single time a new episode comes out. Grrr...

Surely they jsut have to create a small compiler program that you plop in your saves file and it recreats the prefs file WITH the saves present in the folder. Sounds like they just can't be bothered, because it IS a big deal to replay them. Nothing is skippable, and if you're replaying just to get your old choices back you're just sitting throught he same scenes again, about 4-5 hours of your life gone replaying that and that;s JUST for episodes 1 and 2. Then of course you gotta go through ep 3 again.

• No, I agree. But what else can we do? I'm not going to boycott the company because I like their games and specifically this one.

I'm just frustrated that they haven't acknowledged the problem before, and that they don't seem to take ownership of the problem - their e-mail reads like I did something wrong, when really all I did was install episode three after beating one and two.

I'm hoping someone finds a hack to fix this on the message boards if Telltale can't. One of the previous hacks almost worked, which saved the choices from episode two, but didn't save the choices from episode one. So it must be possible.

Add Comment