User Avatar Image

Living Another Childhood Through Cartoons

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 345 users

Growing up, I didn't get to watch a lot of cartoons. My parents restricted me to Batman: The Animated Series, The Rescuers, Courage, Wild Thornberries, Hey Arnold, Spongebob, and An American Tail typically. Pokemon was never allowed. As I got into my teens I was allowed to watch pretty much anything, but mostly only got to see stuff like Funky Phantom, Scooby Doo, Totally Spies, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Sherman and Peabody, Teen Titans, and The Mummy. I missed out on a lot of great 90s shows. So, having grown up and found out about a lot of shows I missed, I've gone back and began to relive some of these shows, such as-

Popeye
Tom and Jerry
Merrie Melodies
Betty Boop and Bimbo
Superman
Darkwing Duck
Ducktales
Thundercats
Snagglepuss
The Jetsons
The Flintstones
Pink Panther
Powerpuff Girls
Dragonball
Rugrats
Dexter's Lab
Ed, Edd, and Eddy
Cow and Chicken

Does anyone here do this? Find out about great cartoons later and then come back to them and begin watching them once you've grown up.

26 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I do, but I find that alot of the stuff other people say are great shows are pretty mediocre and they think they are good because they were part of their childhoods, the kind of nostalgia over quality shows like Thundercats, Heman, GI Joe and Transformers. I can't believe that people over the age of 13 let alone 18 and 20 can still enjoy anything from the Transformers universe, it's about infallable good doing robots that turn into cars from space against evil robots from space, how many good stories can you get from this setup?

• Dexter's Lab fucking rocks, no matter how old you are (well, except the last series). Most of the others though... Yeah, they're really aimed at children. And it shows when you watch them again as adults, unfortunately.

• I...don't find Thundercats a bad show. Snarf is the only downside for me.

On Transformers: And you can call this kiddy if you want, but you're wrong. Yeah, the delivery is a tad cheesy, but the actual SCENE is actually a pretty intense concept. And Unicron is ORSON F'IN WELLES.

Who gives a shit about what's adult. Screw being adult.

• Yeah, being a kidult is way more fun, even if the ladies don't like it. But whatever, girls have cooties anyway.

The Transformers film (the animated one, anyway - fuck the live action ones) is way, way darker than the actual cartoon. And it's worth pointing out that as the years went by and the show went through various iterations it did get more complex and interesting. But that first show... ugh.

• The part of the Transformer series,where the humans transformed into the heads of the transformers are interesting too.

• I do this with everything. Because, see, I didn't grow up with cable, and as a kid was only allowed to watch PBS. So I only watched the occasional episode of Cyberchase as far as cartoons go. And I only started catching up on them senior year in high school when I started watching anime. And only last year did I start watching other cartoons that I missed.

I'd say Dragonball is a good one to pick, but make sure you have a good chunk of free time, because the show will eat it all up. Especially when I start linking you to strange fanfiction.

• It's a tiny bit more recent than the ones you've been watching, but I'm watching Jackie Chan Adventures.

ONE MORE THING: It's damn good.

• @The Gentleman said: It's a tiny bit more recent than the ones you've been watching, but I'm watching Jackie Chan Adventures.

ONE MORE THING: It's damn good.

One more thing! I'MSORRYI'LLBRINGTHISBACKLATER THANK YOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

• Not from my childhood, but I wish to god it had been - Megas XLR.

• User Avatar Image
    divisionten Moderator

I would add Danny Phantom, Megas XLR, and Batman Beyond to that list of older stuff that was good or fun. Dexters Lab is the s**t.

Add Comment