User Avatar Image

New morality starting episode 4

posted by IndigoHawk on - last edited - Viewed by 406 users

Episodes 1-3 killed people regardless of whether they were selfish, selfless, good, bad, whatever. The message is that humanity's morality and social contract is now irrelevant because it's unable to deal with the zombie apocalypse.

So, I think episode 4 should start developing what morality means in The Walking Dead and distancing itself from real world morality. I don't want the writers to expect people to feel bad or good about things based on real world morality, but instead based on whether those things are moral in The Walking Dead.

What will the new morality look like? I think it is now moral to mercifully kill someone as soon as they are too weak to continue and to take their stuff. It is moral to take unattended stuff to strengthen yourself and those around you. It is moral to leave people behind if they are wounded and there isn't time to kill them. Giving resources to a dying Duck (for example) is immoral, whereas killing him quickly and mercifully is moral.

I'm curious what people think about honesty. Is honesty still moral?

It seems like morality is whatever keeps you strong ... and keeps others strong, so long as it doesn't endanger you. So ... backstabbing others may or may not be moral based on the situation. Telling the truth so that people trust you and work better with you is moral, but lying to them so that they don't throw you out of the group is also moral. The result, more than the action or intent, determine morality in The Walking Dead.

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @IndigoHawk said: Episodes 1-3 killed people regardless of whether they were selfish, selfless, good, bad, whatever. The message is that humanity's morality and social contract is now irrelevant because it's unable to deal with the zombie apocalypse.

So, I think episode 4 should start developing what morality means in The Walking Dead and distancing itself from real world morality. I don't want the writers to expect people to feel bad or good about things based on real world morality, but instead based on whether those things are moral in The Walking Dead.

What will the new morality look like? I think it is now moral to mercifully kill someone as soon as they are too weak to continue and to take their stuff. It is moral to take unattended stuff to strengthen yourself and those around you. It is moral to leave people behind if they are wounded and there isn't time to kill them. Giving resources to a dying Duck (for example) is immoral, whereas killing him quickly and mercifully is moral.

I'm curious what people think about honesty. Is honesty still moral?

It seems like morality is whatever keeps you strong ... and keeps others strong, so long as it doesn't endanger you. So ... backstabbing others may or may not be moral based on the situation. Telling the truth so that people trust you and work better with you is moral, but lying to them so that they don't throw you out of the group is also moral. The result, more than the action or intent, determine morality in The Walking Dead.

In my opinion you are totally right. The playing field has changed and so must our moral code. Be prepared to be flamed for your rational thinking as people cant seem to flip that switch between our
    current world- where goods and resources are still being produced and a law enforcement system is still in place.
    and one without- Remove the existence of these two factors; sprinkle in a few million dead people walking around and the rest of humanity fighting for whats left of whatever resources are still available...whole new world.
    New world + old rules = dead man.

• Lol, there is no morality any more. Episode 3 proved that. It would need to be a great, big, emotional decision that "brought back" my morality again.

• No Zerius I think you're right in that there is no morality. I'll go so far as to say the fear of imprisonment is probably the greatest enforcer of any shared-morality code in a society. When that goes, in comes the Wild West
    Peace through superior firepower; biggest gun sets the moral standard, etc etc

• @IndigoHawk said: Oh, I guess people don't agree that morality is based on what's good for society in the long run.

If people turned into zombies at the age of 30, then it would be moral euthanize people before then. Otherwise society would be wiped out. If people died at 15, it would be moral to have sex and children as soon as physically possible. If society was going to last generations, then morality would be geared around getting along for a long time and letting people mature before putting too much stress on them. If society wasn't expected to last more than a few years (like in The Walking Dead), then morality would try to survive as long as possible, knowing that there will probably not be another generation of people.

I thought it was too obvious to argue that morality is based on context and the good of society, but I suppose if people don't agree with that, then they can't talk about what morality means in The Walking Dead.

That is an excellent argument, very well put.

• @Sir Fruitcakes said: As for the real reason I came here, alot of people play this game as if they were the character, doing what they would do, so Real Life morals kind of plays a Big part in it, not a set survival code like your sayin', but i'm sure if the walking dead was real and you went by your code, you'd be pretty cold and some people might call you heartless, but you'd probably survive longer than the ones who told you that..

Playing with 'real life morals' in this setting will get you killed fast. Survival is the name of the game, the ones who consider this heartless wont have to worry for long, they'll most likely be the first ones to drop as they clutch to their old world beliefs.

@Sir Fruitcakes said: morality in twd universe changes very quickly, from you dont kill the living. period. to protect yours and yours alone at all costs, suspect everyone, do what you gotta do to protect your own.

I think in TWD it's always been the last option- but like above, some accept it quicker than others.

• @Xarne said: Playing with 'real life morals' in this setting will get you killed fast. Survival is the name of the game, the ones who consider this heartless wont have to worry for long, they'll most likely be the first ones to drop as they clutch to their old world beliefs.

I kind of said he would have survived longer than the others, And the ones playing with "Real Life morals" are at the same point you are.

• I bet a lot of people came into this game thinking they were going to be playing some wacky, zany adventure in the woods with zombies. Bonding, deep conversations, fighting the good fight, etc...except their friend just got killed, now 'this game sucks!' lol, its all over the boards

• @Zeruis said: Lol, there is no morality any more. Episode 3 proved that. It would need to be a great, big, emotional decision that "brought back" my morality again.

True, morality in a functional socity are a matter of personal prefrence and our world view point, however when the fudge cake hits the fan all morals go out the window, I'm not saying everyone will go bat flip crazy but in my playthrough Lee only killed walkers in episode 1-2 but in three you could say he killed more than Rambo did on his little boat.

• @thestalkinghead said: it is not always morally wrong to lie, that is what i mean by context, is is morally wrong to tell a child they were great in the play that they just performed in, even though you truthfully you thought they were the worst part? no it isnt.
    that is what i mean when i say morality is judged by the context it is in

Everything is relative. Is murder wrong? Yes. Is it wrong to murder a man that intends to kill your family? No. Is stealing wrong? Yes. Is it wrong to steal bread to feed a starving child? No. These of course only my beliefs, but you get my point, even an immoral act can be morally right under certain circumstances.

• Posted by member of the Telltale team in another thread:

@bubbledncr said: If we were testing how you were able to survive a zombie apocalypse, that would mean that in every moment you were presented a choice, that there is a right and wrong choice. What would we base that on? What's morally right, or best for survival? But you'll find people won't even agree on what's "morally correct" a lot of the time, because everyone has their own set of morals.

Morality is always flexible, depending on what you feel compelled to justify.

Add Comment