User Avatar Image

F*** Kenny

posted by deadk1ng on - last edited - Viewed by 27.8K users

I told myself that I wouldn't do another playthrough until all episodes were out but after ep 2 I have decided to do another run with the sole purpose of treating Kenny like the piece of shit he is. It may not be my canonical playthrough but he has to pay for his cowardice somehow

1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Phantom Command said: In Episode 3 when in the drug store at the start, did Kenny leave you trapped under the door with walkers on top of it even if you were his BFF and sided with him on the Larry issue? just courious as I was left and didn't side with him on the Larry thing but had his back in EP1 and some of 2

If you helped him in the meat locker, he'll come over and help you out from under the door.

• @Rock114 said: If you helped him in the meat locker, he'll come over and help you out from under the door.

Oh, good to know, maybe one day I'll grow a pair and drag Lilly away from her dad - the horror.

• @Phantom Command said: Oh, good to know, maybe one day I'll grow a pair and drag Lilly away from her dad - the horror.

It was painful to do, I admit. The worst part was where she breaks free, and hugs her dad while he's laying on the floor, and you have to pull her off again, still screaming, as Kenny walks over with the salt-lick on his shoulder. That entire scene made me feel like a bad person.

• @Wrighty said: Larry tries to kill you because you killed a man who was sleeping with your wife. And he never apologised for that, just threatened you later. That makes him a bad guy. He also tried to kill Duck on very little evidence which is similar to what Kenny did (except Larry was a larger threat). So you're either saying Larry is a bad guy because he tried to do exactly what Kenny tried to do or that Kenny was right to kill Larry. I can't believe it's okay for Larry to try and protect his family but not Kenny. His apology didn't exactly sound sincere either.

And you talk about how he tried to save your life but it's not exactly as simple as Kenny doing it in ep 1. In ep 2 when the guy turned, he turned in the motel with the entire group, Lilly included. Seems to me he was trying to kill the walker because it was a threat to himself and Lilly. Put it this way

Ep 1: Kenny goes back and saves your life in a room full of walkers while everyone else gets away
    Ep 2: A walker turns in the camp, Larry tries to kill it.

See the difference? Also at the most Lilly saves you're life once as does Kenny. He doesn't help you in the farm firstly because you just made him bash a guys brains out and take full responsibility for killing the guy even though it was the right call. In ep 3 *Insert my burning building reference here*

Larry didn't try to kill Duck. He was talking they got to throw him out because he was probably bitten and that they should smash his brain so he doesn't turn. Kenny tried to kill Larry and succeeded. Big difference.
    Plus it's hypocritical of Kenny to let his probably bitten son with 10 other people and no weapons beside a gun (that they really shouldn't use) but kill Larry just because he MIGHT turn. Despite what you all say to convince yourselves you're right, Larry wasn't dead, not yet. What Kenny did was a cold murder, he never gave the guy a chance.
    When you give up on your own like that, you're worthless piece of shit.
    Back in the drugstore they were all strangers and Kenny did become aggressive and threatened to kill Larry, when he should've checked his son instead.

In ep.3 your "building reference doesn't really ring true". No matter how much I dislike Kenny, I've fed and saved his family. No matter how much he disliked me, he should've helped. It is as simple as that.

As for Larry's apology, it might have not been sincere (although I don't have a reason to believe it is not) but it was acknowledgement that he was mistaken. If that's not enough for this argument, I don't know what it is. He didn't run straight up and killed Duck based on suspicion.

• @YamiRaziel said: Larry didn't try to kill Duck. He was talking they got to throw him out because he was probably bitten and that they should smash his brain so he doesn't turn. Kenny tried to kill Larry and succeeded. Big difference.
    Plus it's hypocritical of Kenny to let his probably bitten son with 10 other people and no weapons beside a gun (that they really shouldn't use) but kill Larry just because he MIGHT turn. Despite what you all say to convince yourselves you're right, Larry wasn't dead, not yet. What Kenny did was a cold murder, he never gave the guy a chance.
    When you give up on your own like that, you're worthless piece of shit.
    Back in the drugstore they were all strangers and Kenny did become aggressive and threatened to kill Larry, when he should've checked his son instead.

In ep.3 your "building reference doesn't really ring true". No matter how much I dislike Kenny, I've fed and saved his family. No matter how much he disliked me, he should've helped. It is as simple as that.

As for Larry's apology, it might have noWt been sincere (although I don't have a reason to believe it is not) but it was acknowledgement that he was mistaken. If that's not enough for this argument, I don't know what it is. He didn't run straight up and killed Duck based on suspicion.

Firstly throwing someome out to the walkers and killin them has no difference. Except killing then would probably be a LOT less painful.

For the 10 people, you talking about the drugstore? Because there's a HUGE difference between the two situations, let's go over them.

1. Duck MAY be bitten, only proof is that hes covered in blood. The shop is fairly large, room to manoeuvre. Duck is small. Shooting doesn't matter, Carely shot her gun to save Lee before and it didn't cause any problems. And doesn't Lilly have a rifle?
    2. Larry may be dead. High chance because the guy did just have a heart attack under huge stress. Last time we had to get him medicine which we can't do now. Only three people, no weapons. Meatlocker is enclosed with no space no manoeuvre, no where to run.

I can't believe you dont see that 1. is ALOT safer than 2. And so we could take the risk.

Also what proof is there that Larry isnt dead? About as much as Lilly had for Ben or Carely being traitors. It's a question of risk and the meat locker was a lot riskier than the drug store. If Kennys a cold murderer for killing a guy who might destroy everyone, what does that make Lilly? Also Katjaa was already checking him and whats the point if the old guy is seconds away from chucking him out, bitten or not.

And it's not as simple as *Guy helped me, gotta help him* Sure it's the right moral decision but in those situations you have to weigh up your odds. Can I save him? If someone's about to die and you can't save him, there's no point in sacrificing yourself. You have to think these situations in terms of risk and that's
    makes these people survivors.

And I like how you say he didn't go and just kill Duck on suspicion because that was EXACTLY what he was going to do. If Kenny and Katjaa weren't there, he would have grabbed the kid and thrown him outside which is the same as murder.

• @Wrighty said: Firstly throwing someome out to the walkers and killin them has no difference. Except killing then would probably be a LOT less painful.

For the 10 people, you talking about the drugstore? Because there's a HUGE difference between the two situations, let's go over them.

1. Duck MAY be bitten, only proof is that hes covered in blood. The shop is fairly large, room to manoeuvre. Duck is small. Shooting doesn't matter, Carely shot her gun to save Lee before and it didn't cause any problems. And doesn't Lilly have a rifle?
    2. Larry may be dead. High chance because the guy did just have a heart attack under huge stress. Last time we had to get him medicine which we can't do now. Only three people, no weapons. Meatlocker is enclosed with no space no manoeuvre, no where to run.

I can't believe you dont see that 1. is ALOT safer than 2. And so we could take the risk.

Also what proof is there that Larry isnt dead? About as much as Lilly had for Ben or Carely being traitors. It's a question of risk and the meat locker was a lot riskier than the drug store. If Kennys a cold murderer for killing a guy who might destroy everyone, what does that make Lilly? Also Katjaa was already checking him and whats the point if the old guy is seconds away from chucking him out, bitten or not.

And it's not as simple as *Guy helped me, gotta help him* Sure it's the right moral decision but in those situations you have to weigh up your odds. Can I save him? If someone's about to die and you can't save him, there's no point in sacrificing yourself. You have to think these situations in terms of risk and that's
    makes these people survivors.

And I like how you say he didn't go and just kill Duck on suspicion because that was EXACTLY what he was going to do. If Kenny and Katjaa weren't there, he would have grabbed the kid and thrown him outside which is the same as murder.

Lee and Lilly were there too but that didn't stop Kenny.

1. Duck may be bitten not because he's covered in muck, but because there was a walker on top of him. I realize that Kenny wants to protect his kid. However, threatening to kill a guy whom you've just met instead of checking your own damn son is absolutely stupid. Kenny was always a detriment to my socializing with people.
    2. I've also stated that Lee and Lilly could've dealt with Larry if he turned, but since you do not accept it, I will say something else now.
    In the drugstore you barely know this people. From Larry's point of you, some idiots just endangered the entire group and brought a possible walker into the drug store. Later he tries to leave a convicted murderer behind, he doesn't know he and doesn't want him near his daughter.
    In ep. 2 time has passed and people have softened up to each other. Larry does save you if you give him the axe. Some people said he was acting in the best interest of his daughter, but still he could've killed the walker after it bit you, however he chooses to save you. Whether he does it because at this point he realizes you're valuable to the group or because he just doesn't hate you enough to let you die is up for discussion. The fact remains however that he saves you.

The scene in the meat locker is very special in my opinion because it should've been US against THEM. They ate Mark and threatened to kill us all. They hold Duck and Katjaa as hostages.
    Kenny's act in the meat locker felt as if he backstabbed me with a knife. In ep. 2 I was trying to keep everybody safe, fed his kid and he just killed a member of our group. We were trying to save Larry, he should've respected our attempt. I would rather deal with a walker Larry than smash his head in such a way. There were better ways of approaching the situation and his way was probable the worst. He got angry (he even shoves you away and calls you useless if you don't act (who was useless when I was saving Shawn...)) and kills Larry in cold blood. He destroyed two lives in that meat locker as well as our unity as a group. Why do you think Ben didn't tell us about the bandits? He was insecure, because apparently our group doesn't tolerate liabilities and kills them. Why does Lilly say the list of people she can trust gets shorter every day? Is it because she's a paranoid bitch (as most people call her) or because after the meat locker it is apparent she can't trust anybody?
    Kenny indirectly destroyed our group. Lilly's murder is a direct result of Kenny's actions. Had Larry died in different circumstances she wouldn't have lost it and get distrustful.
    How do you think would Kenny react if it was Duck in the meat locker and Lee or Larry smashed Duck's head?
    Kenny was absolutely in the wrong in the meat locker and there is really no question about it in my mind.
    I agree that if Larry turned it would be really bad and some of them might probably be bitten but I think that the risk is worth it if you think about what happens in ep. 3 because of Kenny's choice.
    To be honest, after the meat locker scene the only people I cared about was Lilly, Carley and Clem. There was no more group mentality for me, because Kenny smashed it with a salt-lick.
    His leaving me for dead in Macon only strengthened that.

• @Xarne said: 1st post you're talking about the importance of the event, not about what you, personally, learned from the character.

The event, everyone sees that the exact same way, on PC, on consoles, on phones. No matter what you said to the characters in the drug store before or after it, the results are the same. Cause that's the story and it wont progress until certain set points are reached. And yes, if you dont side with Kenny over Duck, he will immediately start resenting you despite rescuing you

How people interpret those events and the actions of the characters,which was your reply, will be completely different from one person to another.

Shows that Kenny is a better man than Larry then. You nearly kill his son, and he saves you're life. Larry tries to kill you because you killed a guy sleeping with your wife. Kenny doesn't try to kill anyone.

Also I thought you were simply saying "Since it's a set point, it can't really reflect on a character" My mistake. :)

• @YamiRaziel said: Lee and Lilly were there too but that didn't stop Kenny.

1. Duck may be bitten not because he's covered in muck, but because there was a walker on top of him. I realize that Kenny wants to protect his kid. However, threatening to kill a guy whom you've just met instead of checking your own damn son is absolutely stupid. Kenny was always a detriment to my socializing with people.
    2. I've also stated that Lee and Lilly could've dealt with Larry if he turned, but since you do not accept it, I will say something else now.
    In the drugstore you barely know this people. From Larry's point of you, some idiots just endangered the entire group and brought a possible walker into the drug store. Later he tries to leave a convicted murderer behind, he doesn't know he and doesn't want him near his daughter.
    In ep. 2 time has passed and people have softened up to each other. Larry does save you if you give him the axe. Some people said he was acting in the best interest of his daughter, but still he could've killed the walker after it bit you, however he chooses to save you. Whether he does it because at this point he realizes you're valuable to the group or because he just doesn't hate you enough to let you die is up for discussion. The fact remains however that he saves you.

The scene in the meat locker is very special in my opinion because it should've been US against THEM. They ate Mark and threatened to kill us all. They hold Duck and Katjaa as hostages.
    Kenny's act in the meat locker felt as if he backstabbed me with a knife. In ep. 2 I was trying to keep everybody safe, fed his kid and he just killed a member of our group. We were trying to save Larry, he should've respected our attempt. I would rather deal with a walker Larry than smash his head in such a way. There were better ways of approaching the situation and his way was probable the worst. He got angry (he even shoves you away and calls you useless if you don't act (who was useless when I was saving Shawn...)) and kills Larry in cold blood. He destroyed two lives in that meat locker as well as our unity as a group. Why do you think Ben didn't tell us about the bandits? He was insecure, because apparently our group doesn't tolerate liabilities and kills them. Why does Lilly say the list of people she can trust gets shorter every day? Is it because she's a paranoid bitch (as most people call her) or because after the meat locker it is apparent she can't trust anybody?
    Kenny indirectly destroyed our group. Lilly's murder is a direct result of Kenny's actions. Had Larry died in different circumstances she wouldn't have lost it and get distrustful.
    How do you think would Kenny react if it was Duck in the meat locker and Lee or Larry smashed Duck's head?
    Kenny was absolutely in the wrong in the meat locker and there is really no question about it in my mind.
    I agree that if Larry turned it would be really bad and some of them might probably be bitten but I think that the risk is worth it if you think about what happens in ep. 3 because of Kenny's choice.
    To be honest, after the meat locker scene the only people I cared about was Lilly, Carley and Clem. There was no more group mentality for me, because Kenny smashed it with a salt-lick.
    His leaving me for dead in Macon only strengthened that.

Firstly yes a walker was on top of Duck but that doesn't mean he was bit, as the game shows. Also Kat was already searching Duck for bites. AND Larry obviously wasnt going to wait for proof, he was going to throw him out right there and then, not wait for Kat to find the bite and proof he was doing the wrong thing. Kenny needed to delay him for Kat to have a chance to prove Ducks innocence.

How could Lee and Lilly deal with Larry with no weapons and very close to him? They aren't ninjas. I can't remember seeing Lee kill a walker with his bare hands and I've never seen Lily fight one.

And again I think Larry saw the walker and tried to kill it. It was a danger to everyone. You have to admit its not half as obvious as Kenny going back to save you.

And again, Kenny had to do a terrible thing and it did fracture the group as in Lilly vs Everyone Else. But I'd rather have that than everyone in the group die. You don't deal with huge zombie Larry, you stand there and scream while he eats you. And I don't think Ben even knew about what happened with Larry. He saw how angry and scary Lilly was and so didn't tell anyone, he saw how unhinged she got. Sure that was a side effect if Larry but I'm not going to blame Kenny for Lilly's behaviour. Especially since Kenny might have saved everyone with his decision. And sure Kenny would have freaked out if Duck was the one to die. He might have attacked Larry. But it would have still been the right choice and I'm glad Kenny was smart enough to kill Larry.

And sorry but if it's a choice between killing group mentality and everyone dieing, I'll smash group mentality with a salt lick every time.

And I've already been over why he didn't immediately save your Lee in Macin. I'll refer you to my "Running into burning building for guy you don't like who might not even live"

• @Wrighty said: Firstly yes a walker was on top of Duck but that doesn't mean he was bit, as the game shows. Also Kat was already searching Duck for bites. AND Larry obviously wasnt going to wait for proof, he was going to throw him out right there and then, not wait for Kat to find the bite and proof he was doing the wrong thing. Kenny needed to delay him for Kat to have a chance to prove Ducks innocence.

How could Lee and Lilly deal with Larry with no weapons and very close to him? They aren't ninjas. I can't remember seeing Lee kill a walker with his bare hands and I've never seen Lily fight one.

And again I think Larry saw the walker and tried to kill it. It was a danger to everyone. You have to admit its not half as obvious as Kenny going back to save you.

And again, Kenny had to do a terrible thing and it did fracture the group as in Lilly vs Everyone Else. But I'd rather have that than everyone in the group die. You don't deal with huge zombie Larry, you stand there and scream while he eats you. And I don't think Ben even knew about what happened with Larry. He saw how angry and scary Lilly was and so didn't tell anyone, he saw how unhinged she got. Sure that was a side effect if Larry but I'm not going to blame Kenny for Lilly's behaviour. Especially since Kenny might have saved everyone with his decision. And sure Kenny would have freaked out if Duck was the one to die. He might have attacked Larry. But it would have still been the right choice and I'm glad Kenny was smart enough to kill Larry.

And sorry but if it's a choice between killing group mentality and everyone dieing, I'll smash group mentality with a salt lick every time.

And I've already been over why he didn't immediately save your Lee in Macin. I'll refer you to my "Running into burning building for guy you don't like who might not even live"

Larry was not necessarily dead and I've seen Lee fight zombies with bare hands. Kenny would've dropped the salt-lick, after and IF Larry turned. Larry was between life and death, but he wasn't dead, so yeah this was a murder in my book. I do blame Kenny for Lilly's behaviour. He killed her dad without any proof, just because we HAD to focus on his family. In my original playthrough I didn't side with Larry on the argument in the drugstore and I didn't later kill him in the meat locker. I do try to help the people in my group, even if I didn't like them. I also shot the poor girl in ep. 3 because that was the morally right call. What is the point to be in a group if I can't rely on my peers? If they're gonna leave me for dead when I'm in a tight spot, then I'm better off on my own.
    What if Lee needed help instead of Larry in the meat locker? Would you so happy if Kenny dropped a salt-lick on Lee's head?
    I think there was a thread around here in which the OP was asking what would you do if other members were in the position of Larry. Most said they would try to help or at least check for a pulse before they do anything. Killing Larry is mostly affected by the fact that people do not like him.

• @YamiRaziel said: Larry was not necessarily dead and I've seen Lee fight zombies with bare hands. Kenny would've dropped the salt-lick, after and IF Larry turned. Larry was between life and death, but he wasn't dead, so yeah this was a murder in my book. I do blame Kenny for Lilly's behaviour. He killed her dad without any proof, just because we HAD to focus on his family. In my original playthrough I didn't side with Larry on the argument in the drugstore and I didn't later kill him in the meat locker. I do try to help the people in my group, even if I didn't like them. I also shot the poor girl in ep. 3 because that was the morally right call. What is the point to be in a group if I can't rely on my peers? If they're gonna leave me for dead when I'm in a tight spot, then I'm better off on my own.
    What if Lee needed help instead of Larry in the meat locker? Would you so happy if Kenny dropped a salt-lick on Lee's head?
    I think there was a thread around here in which the OP was asking what would you do if other members were in the position of Larry. Most said they would try to help or at least check for a pulse before they do anything. Killing Larry is mostly affected by the fact that people do not like him.

There was a high chance Larry was dead, and has Lee ever killed a zombie win his bare hands? I can't remember a time that happened. Also Larry is huge and they are in a very confined space. And Lilly probably wouldnt help, she would be in shock. And zombies tend you jump up when they reincarnate. Remember the first walker Lee saw? One as big as Larry, Kenny would have to throw it high and if he missed or was too weak from hunger, they are all dead. That's actually another point, when's the last time the characters eat? Kenny and Lily eat some human flesh, but Lilly threw it up. Lee didn't even get that, and he didn't eat the rations either. Imagine how weak those characters must be, they are in the worst possible shape to fight a walker, especially one like Larry.

You say with such certainty that he wasnt dead, but do you have any proof. Or is this a decision like Lilly's/Larry's in which no proof is required. :P

Killing Larry also wasn't just about Kennys family, it's about everyone! Lee, Kenny and Lilly trapped with a huge walker. They die, Duck an Kat get no help. Carley and Ben get no warning. Everyone dies. And think about t. If you kill Larry and you were wrong, 1 man dies. If you spare Larry and you are wrong, everyone dies. It's pretty simple. And I would have been happy with Kenny smashing Lee's brains out because it's the smart choice. And theres loads of reasons to have a group. Without Kenny, you would never had gotten a ride to Macon. And you'd have one less person going hunting and covering you while you cut off a guys leg. No one to fix up the RV either, so you couldnt use t to get away. Not to mention the fact that at least Kenny had the guts to come with you. Never seen Lilly leave the camp and help get supplies.

That seems to be everything, I'm going to bed. Gnight. :D

This discussion has been closed.