User Avatar Image

the Katjja conundrum

posted by Phantom Command on - last edited - Viewed by 423 users

So when Katjja said she could not live without Duck I sort of knew what was coming, as one of my favourite characters I hoped we would be given the choice to at least try and council her though the ordeal.

So my question is –

1) Was Katjja’s decision to kill herself selfish?

I mean if she goes out alone she kills herself leaving a now doubly grieving Kenny and a post zombie Duck which Kenny will still have to deal with.
Even when they go together she kills herself in front of Kenny and her dying but still conscious son.

I would have liked it if Katjja took Duck into the woods and you hear one shot then as you and Kenny go to see them another shot rings out and you see them both dead but that’s just me.

2) How will the Duck shooting come back to bite us if we shot him or let/made Kenny do it either way I think Kenny’s story may come to an end in episode 4?

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It's true. Which is why I didn't want to get into the philosophy of it all. But if there's a percentage of selflessness/selfishness to every act, I think that those three are majorly selfless (unless you're just trying to get in good graces with ulterior motives). I think that suicide (not sacrificing yourself) is about 90% selfish. It's based on your own pain, your own feelings about the future and discounts your life in other people's perspective.

Sure, it's your life and your choice and all that, but it's still selfish.

I once knew a kid who killed himself. The gist of his letter was "no one will miss me." There were thirty people on his front lawn all crying louder than I've seen anyone in my life. Another guy hung himself. His note said "I have no one". He left his body for his ten year old son to find in the morning.

I ain't really going to be moved by a tale of how suicide thinks of other people and benefits the world. It just doesn't do anything but makes someone suffer less.

• Well then I guess Im breaking character here and saying that in Kat's case, I can understand her weakness and dont fault her for the suicide. In fact, it takes a massive amount of willpower and maybe hope to even want to survive a ZA- not knowing if things will ever return to what we perceived them as- to know you might possibly be in a state of survival and stuck on earth with undead as the new top of the food chain til the end of your remaining days is bleak as hell.

• I don't see her act as a selfish one.

Just a weak one.

• even with his dead son, Katjja not thought about Kenny.
    She left Kenny(emotionally destroyed) alone in the world.

• I don't know about "weak". Fear of death is a pretty powerful instinct to override all of a sudden.

• from the start katjaa said that she believed everything would eventually go back to normal, but when Duck got bitten she knew it would never be the same, so she couldn't keep on going, but it was selfish, especially leaving Duck

• @Master of Aeons said: It's true. Which is why I didn't want to get into the philosophy of it all. But if there's a percentage of selflessness/selfishness to every act, I think that those three are majorly selfless (unless you're just trying to get in good graces with ulterior motives). I think that suicide (not sacrificing yourself) is about 90% selfish. It's based on your own pain, your own feelings about the future and discounts your life in other people's perspective.

Sure, it's your life and your choice and all that, but it's still selfish.

I once knew a kid who killed himself. The gist of his letter was "no one will miss me." There were thirty people on his front lawn all crying louder than I've seen anyone in my life. Another guy hung himself. His note said "I have no one". He left his body for his ten year old son to find in the morning.

I ain't really going to be moved by a tale of how suicide thinks of other people and benefits the world. It just doesn't do anything but makes someone suffer less.

@Master of Aeons said: from the start katjaa said that she believed everything would eventually go back to normal, but when Duck got bitten she knew it would never be the same, so she couldn't keep on going, but it was selfish, especially leaving Duck

I agree,

Katjja may have lost her son but she didn't finish what she said she would do and instead -

1) Left a griveing husband who still had to deal with Duck
    2) A son who's last dying memory is that of his mother killing herself in front of him
    3) A little girl called Clem who saw her as as mother figure as seen in their first meeting at Hershal's farm and left her with no female role model
    4) Lee, a man who bonded with her and tried to give her hope, and now feels like he failed.
    5) Ben, I know he caused the chain of events but how would you feel knowing your actions not only killed a son but also a mother and destroyed a farther's will to fight

She did this knowng that the group had just lost Doug/Carley, Lilly, their home and about to loose Duck.

You could say Kenny killing Larry destroyed the group but they were still together at the beggining of ep3, so I say it was Kats suicide that destroyed it as Lee and Clem can go their own way, Kenny is truely broken showing Omid how to drive the train in case anything happens.

I know its a persons "right" to do whatever they want with their life, but its the life's left behind that have to deal with the aftermath when someone commits suicide in this context.

• @Phantom Command said:
    1) Was Katjja’s decision to kill herself selfish?

Yes, it was selfish, considering what shes making Kenny go through, alone.

but atleast she had the decency and strength to wait until she was in the forest before doing it.

@Phantom Command said: I don't know about "weak". Fear of death is a pretty powerful instinct to override all of a sudden.

Fear of death isn't hard to overcome when you lost what you dedicated your life to (Her Son), to begin with.

• I was surprised how calm Katjaa was while taking care of Duck. She didn't feel phased by it. That all made sense when she chose to commit suicide. She had already accepted her own death when Duck was bitten.

• @Sir Fruitcakes said: Fear of death isn't hard to overcome when you lost what you dedicated your life to

Know that for a fact?

My point was that I think that given Katjaa's dislike of guns and her love for Kenny, the choice to kill herself wasn't "weak", but required resolve and strength.

Add Comment