User Avatar Image

Is this as good as the Lucasarts games?

posted by Hudomonkey on - last edited - Viewed by 607 users

I am about to finsh Monkey Island 2 SE edition (96% complete) and I would like to know if tales of monkey Island lives up to the originals
I am a big fan of telltale and just want to know if it is par with sam and max or Strong bad.

23 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The first couple episodes are shaky but eps 3-5 are great. It doesn't come close to Secret and Revenge, but it comes fairly close to Curse.

Until Walking Dead I thought the last few ToMI eps were the strongest games TTG made.

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

Since you're a fan of Telltale's other adventure games, you're probably aware (and apparently tolerant, since you like them) of the inconsistent quality of puzzles found in their games. The puzzles are, overall, pretty simple, but where ToMI shines is the story. If you thought that it would be nice for there to be a Monkey Island game which explored the potential of the setting and characters, then you'll probably like ToMI quite a bit. The game doesn't really hit its stride until chapter 3, though, so if the first two chapters don't interest you, keep pushing forward. Chapters 4 and 5 are especially a treat, story-wise. Try to not get yourself spoiled before playing. ;)

It's a bit of a shame that, technologically speaking, the game is held back as much as it is, but that's mostly due to them having to work around the absolutely absurdly tiny size limit for digital Wii games. If it wasn't for that, there might have been less copy-pasting with NPC models and what-not.

• These games are very short compared to other MI titles. I'd say they are shorter even combined than any other MI game. This is also arguably the easiest; you can choose to have much hand-holding as is the trend in gaming industry today, so that those not used to playing can also find their way through the game. Thankfully, you can also turn hinting off.

The game doesn't have the best humour out of the MI games, in my opinion, but at least it gets better towards the end. The first episode is very dry and the jokes are forced and bad, but fortunately they get rolling.

However, I like this title. I think they would be the worst MI games, but they're still very good and worth playing. Decent enough continuation for the great series in my opinion. If you are an experienced MI player and you see that the games get less funny and easier all the time, I think this will be the worst for you. However, they still manage to grasp the feeling of Monkey Island for me, at least!

• Not as good as the first two, but to be fair it is REALLY hard to "write" comedy.

it was still worth the $, time, and effort.

One of the things that made the older games longer lasting was having to figure out all the puzzles. Some of them weren't easy, and when 1 & 2 came out, most people didn't know what the "Internet" was.

• Tales is definitely up there with Lucas Arts' finest. Avoiding direct comparisons or saying that it's better or worse than this or that chapter, it'll leave you satisfied in a way the others haven't, much like Admonisher said.

• User Avatar Image
    B-J

"The Tales of Monkey Island" is a very inventive game in its whole. Everyone who played MI 1 and 2 and showed interest in these two games will be happy. Since there are so many hints and allusions to the classic games like the big forests, the way you can let Guybrush talk or simply the fantastic music (and much more), it is a good game for those who liked playing MI1+2. And the new environments/levels bring a certain 'freshness' into the game. The Telltale crew really couldn't have made a better job. So in my opinion "The Tales of Monkey Island" is as good as the Lucasarts games!

• Thank you for all the help and advice

I have bought Monkey Island 3 and Dam ans Max hit the road to play over Christmas and have used Scummvm as suggested thanks and I will probably get Tales after I've finished them.
    Thanks

• I just finished Tales of Monkey Island. I'd played the first two installments as they were released, when I was a kid... eventually followed up with the 3rd and 4th installments, probably not too long after they were released but I can't remember. With the the seeming death of the Adventure Game genre, gaming in general faded from my consciousness and I didn't even realize they'd made new games in the series until fairly recently.

I recently replayed the SE remakes of 1 and 2, but it's been so long since playing the 3rd and 4th installments that I find it difficult to compare. But I did really enjoy ToMI and think anyone who enjoyed the first two should check it out. I was surprised how involved I was in the story and characterizations, and there were still several gags that made me laugh out loud, though they didn't quite match the inspired humor of the first couple.

It is sad that the series seems at long last dead... though at least it had enough legs to keep it alive for almost 20 years. It's had a better fate than Grim Fandango, IMO the greatest adventure game of all time. I'd love to replay it but I think I'd actually have to acquire an old computer with an older operating system to pull it off. Still, glad to hear Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer are working on new games that will appeal to the old adventure gamers.

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

@VentureRonin said: It's had a better fate than Grim Fandango, IMO the greatest adventure game of all time. I'd love to replay it but I think I'd actually have to acquire an old computer with an older operating system to pull it off.

Actually, you might be able to play it on a modern machine using ResidualVM.

Add Comment