User Avatar Image

We are SO hiring!

posted by nikasaur on - last edited - Viewed by 5.9K users

Haven't heard the news? Sheesh, we've only been saying it everywhere. If you've ever wanted to work for Telltale, now is the time, because we're hiring! A wealth of undiscovered joys await you in lovely Northern California, as you can share philosophical views on video games with your favorite Telltalers over lunch, or play Contra after hours in the meeting room.

You may even hear Mike Stemmle singing.

Think you got what it takes? Head over to our jobs site and show us whatcha got!
http://www.telltalegames.com/company/jobs/

We are mainly looking for applicants within the U.S. but all resumes will be looked at.

481 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Uh...I don't even know, man. I mean this is to let people know that Telltale is hiring so that people looking for a job with Telltale and the gaming industry will check out the website and see what employment opportunities are available.

It does not seem that your partner is in that position. I don't think this thread is for getting tips on how to get hired in the gaming industry, but I'm sure if you do a google search you will be able to find those things. College would be helpful though.

• @Irishmile said: I unfortunately lack the resume to be taken seriously.

As do I so my dream is instead to just one day mod the forums. Helping is still helping.

• i wish i knew how to audition to do voice work for telltale games

• I'm applying for the Game Writer position, and I've just sent in an extensive cover letter and portfolio detailing my produced film work and several scripts I've written, including a writing sample for a proposed video game, a PowerPoint presentation for a game pitch based on an established book/film, and my short film that has been selected to screen at a film festival next month in Las Vegas. I am truly hoping these are enough credentials to be considered for the job, as I've worked very hard to get my writing career off the ground and would love to join Telltale's creative staff.

I suggest those of you who say you lack experience do the same: Write scripts, shoot them yourselves, contribute to mobile app development, etc. Volunteer. Work for free and build up your resume, then apply everywhere. It's the only way to get noticed. You don't have to be a big-time Hollywood movie writer with an agent to have a portfolio, just some skill, some time, and some effort. If you really want to make a career out of writing, go to school for it. Film school gave me about half of my portfolio, and enough connections to produce the other half.

• I also applied for the writer position, but something like 10 weeks ago now. I was a finalist for a writing position at Remedy earlier this year, where the wait time for a response was also several months, and I suspect that this is the rub of hiring a game writer - you're likely to get a large number of applications, and each application comes with a hefty selection of materials for review. By its very nature, hiring a writer for your staff is probably a pretty slow and tedious process.

Anyways, I enjoyed reading about your experience and background, MSP. It's interesting to hear about the different paths we take in trying to get to the same place. While I didn't study film and script writing, I did major in creative writing, and have since been working on my own short fiction, publishing those pieces, earning fellowships, etc. I've also been working in the game industry for a couple years, where I started as a support rep but now work as a program design lead, community manager, and writer (something of a chimera, I guess). While I haven't been doing any game writing, per se, I can tell my experience in the industry is paying off - with each job I apply for, I get a little bit further in the application process.

In any case, I wanted to '+1' MSP's advice - you can always add to your portfolio in meaningful ways, either by working on your own and with others. My small addition would be to say working in the industry can't do anything but help, either.

Best of luck to you MSP, and any other lurkers like myself who may have applied, too. :-)

• Thanks, Bobby. Where do you publish your creative writing works? I've been looking at getting into that myself. Most of my material is in script format, but I have a wealth of material I could easily put into short story or even novel format.

Anyway I'm glad you shared that, especially the time-frame for what to expect. It's only been a few weeks for me, so mainly, it's going to be a waiting game. After the film festival I'll be up in Vancouver, waiting for the call to drop everything and come to San Rafael at a moment's notice, which I absolutely would. Unfortunately, while I was away visiting relatives, a portion of my belongings in storage were lost in a fire. The upside of that is, I can pack up and go immediately (the other upside is an insurance settlement to finance the trip there, haha).

I wonder what the volume of applicants is for this job, and whether they get back to everyone who applies, or just prospective interviewees.

• Oh if only it was in Vancouver BC...

• User Avatar Image
    ro2

For the Game Writer position, does anyone know how long each writing sample should be?

• Is Telltale still looking for writers? I figure it can't hurt to apply. (Although I didn't see a Writer section on the jobs page...)

I have released two novels, one of which was professionally published, so I guess you can say I have past experience.

• I think I'd rather finish my programming course first.

Add Comment