User Avatar Image

Digital Downloads vs. Physical Media

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 587 users

Do you prefer digitally downloadable games, or physical copies (regardless of storefront availability)? If, theoretically, physical copies were as readily available for purchase as digital copies, which would you choose?

How would DRM (reasonable DRM like, for example, from Steam or TTG, not Ubisoft) or lack thereof affect your choice between physical media and digital downloads?

21 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I like physical media, though I know why companies are trying to get away from that. Gaming companies go out of business or stop marketing things all the time, but if you have the physical media, you can still play the games they once made.

• Since they topped makung proper sized boxes I could care less about retail discs.
    And then Steam. Steam and Steam.

• I much prefer the physical media. Sure, it takes up shelf space. But it doesn't take up hard drive space. When I have to clear out a crap load of stuff from my PS3 just to play DC Universe Online, then I'd much rather have this stuff on a physical disk. And the PS3 having to install off the disks for no reason doesn't help much.

• I'm happy with both. Digital downloads are fine (so long as you have enough space!), but there's something reassuring about physical copies as well. I can fully understand why people prefer one over the other - I sway towards physical myself - but really, they're both good in their own way.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I prefer digital downloads. I still buy boxes and DVD keepcases for the games I really like, but I usually just like the convenience of instantly playing after I buy.

• physical media I like to own what I pay for :)

• I haven't bought a physical CD or DVD in years. And given my tendency to lose those, it's all for the best. I hope that everything will be in download form eventually so I can have everything in the same place.

• There's a reason brick and mortar shops are shutting down.

• As far as games go, there's very little reason for a brick and mortar shop. You don't really get to try out the game or gain any enlightenment from the experience that you couldn't have gotten online. In fact, it's better to buy games online because then you have the added convenience of having your system specs right there so you can figure out if the darn thing will even work.

• User Avatar Image
    MarkDarin Telltale Staff

@Jennifer said: I prefer digital downloads. I still buy boxes and DVD keepcases for the games I really like, but I usually just like the convenience of instantly playing after I buy.

^^ This.

If there is a Game that I really like, I will buy it on disk... just BECAUSE I like seeing it on my shelf. I guess it's that last bit of collector in me.

But when it comes to actually playing a game... I LOVE having my downloaded games all in one place. The lazy man in me absolutely HATES having to get up and switch disks when I want to play a new game. If I'm in the mood to play something and it comes down to playing a game on a disk that is NOT in the system already and playing something that I have downloaded, the downloaded loaded game will get played 90% of the time!

Add Comment