User Avatar Image

the Katjja conundrum

posted by Phantom Command on - last edited - Viewed by 678 users

So when Katjja said she could not live without Duck I sort of knew what was coming, as one of my favourite characters I hoped we would be given the choice to at least try and council her though the ordeal.

So my question is –

1) Was Katjja’s decision to kill herself selfish?

I mean if she goes out alone she kills herself leaving a now doubly grieving Kenny and a post zombie Duck which Kenny will still have to deal with.
Even when they go together she kills herself in front of Kenny and her dying but still conscious son.

I would have liked it if Katjja took Duck into the woods and you hear one shot then as you and Kenny go to see them another shot rings out and you see them both dead but that’s just me.

2) How will the Duck shooting come back to bite us if we shot him or let/made Kenny do it either way I think Kenny’s story may come to an end in episode 4?

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Sir Fruitcakes said: Fear of death isn't hard to overcome when you lost what you dedicated your life to

Know that for a fact?

My point was that I think that given Katjaa's dislike of guns and her love for Kenny, the choice to kill herself wasn't "weak", but required resolve and strength.

• @Milosuperspesh said: you can leave duck 'alive' or to turn when you find kats body, and say to kenny do it but then when it says 'do it' or it'll be ok let it time out..

Dude, can you post a video on YouTube showing that? I cannot find a single bit of conformation on that.

• @Cyreen said: Know that for a fact?

My point was that I think that given Katjaa's dislike of guns and her love for Kenny, the choice to kill herself wasn't "weak", but required resolve and strength.

She was a weak woman, you see that in episode 1 and 2 when you talk to her without Kenny hanging over her. Her focus was Duck, Duck got bit and she gave up before even ending his suffering.

Hell, all she did was kill herself and make potential zombie duck a meal.

There was no strength in that. No resolve. Just "aww shit I can't go on."

Not even a goodbye for her husband.

Hmm, I guess it was both weak "and" selfish.

• It's a matter of perspective. If you let the scene progress according to Katjaa's plan, I very much got the sense that she said goodbye to Kenny.

• @adontimasu said: Dude, can you post a video on YouTube showing that? I cannot find a single bit of conformation on that.

first attempt was too big file size wise so gonna redo soon

• Referring to the OP- yes, IMO it was very selfish. 99% of suicides are essentially selfish acts and those who commit suicide almost universally have no clue on the impact that their act has upon others. The level of their pain and self-pity generally make them blind to that.

The group still needed her, Kenny still needed her and there were others that cared about her. That being said, she may have also had made a prior decision that if something were to happen to Duck then she was going to "opt out".

She quit. Like the guy who hung himself to be found by Daryl and Andrea in the TV series:

GOT BIT
    FEVER HIT
    WORLD GONE TO SHIT
    MIGHT AS WELL QUIT

• It's impossible for most of us on these forums to comprehend Katjaa's mind state at this time. I may be being a tad presumptive but I would guess there are not many mothers with young children playing this game.

Losing their only child (and in such an unnatural and drawn out way) would have completely destroyed her. I can easily understand why she decided there was no reason for her to continue. This was not a selfish decision, this woman had lost everything that mattered to her in the world.

To those people who ask how she could have left Kenny, the uncomfortable truth is that Kenny is just her husband. Duck was her child. We can assume she gave birth to him in the normal way and raised him herself so that bond is far stronger than anything a husband and wife can have.

• Seems kind of stupid to judge someone for committing suicide even though I haven't ever been in the same situation.

At the end of the day, if you can't go on then you can't go on. I also can't blame her for wanting to be with Duck, wherever he is.

• @Wrighty said: Seems kind of stupid to judge someone for committing suicide even though I haven't ever been in the same situation.

I would hope not, are you a walker?;)

Judging no, there are two sides to every story and everyone is entitled to their oppinion.

Sure its her life/choice but in a world filled with death and misery why add to it

Add Comment