User Avatar Image

Rate The Last Movie(s) You Watched

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 10.1K users

Same as the Rate the Last Game You Finished topic but with movies. There should be more film talk around here. So, I'll start off with the movies I've seen in the past few days.

Law-Abiding Citizen - 5.5/11

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - 7/11

Sword of the Stranger - 9/11

Blade Runner: Final Cut - 11/11

Blade Runner is one of those films I want to love but also want to hate.

1.8K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I just have an open question for the group. I was recently having a discussion about originality in modern film. The discussion was more about the "where do they go from here?" aspect rather than the lack of originality. Since the integration of computer graphics or enhanced graphics, what was left to achieve. While 3D changed the viewing experience, it really didn't do anything at all to change film itself.

My question I'm posing is:
    What was the last truly original film you remember being released? This could be an original idea that was brought forth, or a movie which presented an idea in an original way.

Bonus question: Is there anything original left to be done?

• ParaNorman

9/10

Definately film of the year material here folks!

I don't want to talk to much about it, (because I don't want to spoil its fantastic suprises) but almost everything is great about this one.

The animation, the voice acting, the story, the characters.
    And its actually funny! Rarely have I watched a kids film that has made me laugh, and this one made me laugh about 3 or 4 times.

I highly recommend you go see it if you haven't already! :D

• @Johro said: I just have an open question for the group. I was recently having a discussion about originality in modern film. The discussion was more about the "where do they go from here?" aspect rather than the lack of originality. Since the integration of computer graphics or enhanced graphics, what was left to achieve. While 3D changed the viewing experience, it really didn't do anything at all to change film itself.

My question I'm posing is:
    What was the last truly original film you remember being released? This could be an original idea that was brought forth, or a movie which presented an idea in an original way.

Bonus question: Is there anything original left to be done?

Right now motion capture is the field that has the most to achieve. It's not perfect by any means. The biggest hurdle it has to overcome currently is the rendering of water. I'd imagine other elements have a lot to overcome too. Characters in water or wet skin are not exactly well done yet.

So anyway, I conquered a longtime fear of a movie the other night. I was browsing Netflix and came across-

The Phantom [Billy Zane] - 6/10

I was petrified of the microscope scene for years as a child. It made it impossible for me to watch most action, scifi, or horror movies. I was afraid something would happen to someone's eyes, and would burst into tears, screaming for my parents to turn them off.

So I saw the movie on Netflix, and I decided I was going to conquer my fear of it once and for all. I avoided the movie for years. As the scene came up that traumatized me, my heart raced, my hands shook, and I wanted desperately to look away or pause it, but I forced myself to sit with my eyes wide open and watch it second for second. Twice. I made it.

The rest of the movie is pretty faithful to the character of The Phantom. If I have a complaint, it's that the movie is way too fast and short. Billy Zane is a great Phantom. He's just so energetic and he has so much enthusiasm. He's like a 90s Brendan Frasier with more vigor. Treat Williams was hilarious....he would have made the perfect Howard Stark in the Avengers universe.

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Hook 8/10

Good decision to buy this on Blu Ray. It's not the best possible quality, but I haven't seen the movie in 10 years or so, so it still is revelatory. Beamed back into my youth. Spielberg's playful and cheeky and shows reverence to his source material only when he happens to feel like it.

Watched it in English for the first time and always heard the German dubbing in my head. Hook received an excellent and inventive translation and dubbing the likes of which are very seldom heard today. Also, German actor Peer Augustinski does an insurmountable job at dubbing Williams - and I think he even continues to do so today, stroke and old age (72) notwithstanding.

Moonrise Kingdom and Tampopo Blu Rays should arrive next week. I'll be back. :cool:

• Maximum Overdrive 0/10

What. The. Fuck. Is. This. Shit?

• Really zero? It's not even the worst King adaptation....not even close.

• Pom Poko

This one almost by accident really.

So I was in my room and I saw my little bro watching something on youtube. This movie. And I decided to sit and watch it with him.

Its very good! :D (But definately has that Japanese weirdness all over it. (Japanese folklore is wierd! XD)

I'd give it a 7.5/10

(Not quite a movie I'd watch over and over, but still very nice. :) )

• @Johro said: Really zero? It's not even the worst King adaptation....not even close.

Oh, really? Then what is?

• Langoliers maybe. There's also all the nothing adaptations that exist, but I'd rather leave them as unknown.

Oh and I just watched The Avengers. It was alright. I had the common problems others have stated with how the Hulk was handled and I also didn't really care for them fighting drones. I actually felt bored for most of the action scenes not involving Loki just because the two types of enemies didn't really provide much of a challenge(or character for that matter). I am a fan of Super Hero movies, but I'm sorry fanboys, this one just didn't really grasp me. 6? I guess. I don't know, I liked Thor, I'm glad we got Loki back. I'll go 7/10.

• I never saw that Shining miniseries (nor will I ever, because Kubrick's film is my fav horror film of all time, and I don't care what King says about it) but I heard it was pretty wack. Didn't it star that guy from Wings? It sure did.

Add Comment