User Avatar Image

Women Presented Unfairly in Games Story?

posted by Red Panda on - last edited - Viewed by 613 users

Katjaa is super passive, Carley can't figure out how to use batteries, Lilly is mental and stands by her crazy Dad until the end, and Clem verges on escapism.

Men have their faults, but do you think the the fairer sex is getting equal treatment by writers?

44 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @The_Cheshire_Cat said: I felt like she was a man with breasts.

Aww, did she scare you? Poor kitty.

• I don't agree with the OP, The females of the game have been given even more important roles in the story than the men! Not to mention lily/christa are very strong and able to take care of themselves! its just Lily lost what she loved so much and was practically blamed for everything other than that.

If it happened to me I would have snapped too, just I would have probably shot Kenny... not to mention clementine is ten times smarter than duck and more resourceful, and duck practically tried to ignore everything that's happened whereas every few minutes you enter a conversation with clementine regarding the entire mess and whats going on, as for katjaa? she was the groups physician who was a Vet, for godsake that is such a important part of the group/story!

The only thing here I could even say you can complain about is carley with her batteries, but then I could also argue that its only human to not know everything, and with her working in a radio station or whatever, I could argue that shes just a journalist/or everyone just did the technical bits of the radio for her, just because the majority of the surviving survivors so far are men does not mean they are represented poorly.

As for the katjaa suicide, There are mothers who would do the exact same thing in her shoes, atleast she had the strength/decency to do it out of sight of Ben/Clementine

• Carley is a crack shot; speaks her mind without fear of ...well death
    Lily is leading the group way before we enter the picture; and has no problem asserting herself.
    Christa is wearing the pants in the C/O relationship
    Katjaa has medical training...and a son to protect? Ya, why isnt she up on the front lines with an AK? She's so passive...

Ya, these girls are totally getting the typical 'boo hoo, please protect me' treatment. How sexist!

/sarcasm

• i dunno, about unfair portrails.

imo most the characters are stereo types. found in most games, so this whole thread is pointless, there has to be a bitch(lilly/christa), black guy(lee) asians glenn/clem, katjaa meek/mouse but loyal, duck (idiot) omid (pedo/overly enthusiastic) kenny loyal but stupid and a coward, larry (pure asshole) ben young naive idiot, mark the politician works all sides and angles..carley ballsy reporter loks for the facts known to crumble under pressure/stress, doug a nerd/geek..

the game has to cover all the race barriers/personality and with a combo's for some.

if anything the characters are mostly fine, most games have male protagonists and thus all females are pale in comparison... in some cases a female lead does cause some male shrinkage..

as for clem and the tree house club, she's a kid put in an impossible situation, who may or may not be a 'spy' who is missing her family may or may not know what their fate is her being female means nothing in this thread as clem being a child losing her innocence 'mentally' would happen to any child in this scenario.. gender is as vain put it moot/invalid/irrelavant.

yet another 'rp' thread #sigh# i dunno if red panda is trying to get flame wars going or just being an old fashioned/last century based idiot....who seems to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to sexism...

• @Milosuperspesh said: i dunno, about unfair portrails.

imo most the characters are stereo types. found in most games, so this whole thread is pointless, there has to be a bitch(lilly/christa), black guy(lee) asians glenn/clem, katjaa meek/mouse but loyal, duck (idiot) omid (pedo/overly enthusiastic) kenny loyal but stupid and a coward, larry (pure asshole) ben young naive idiot, mark the politician works all sides and angles..carley ballsy reporter loks for the facts known to crumble under pressure/stress, doug a nerd/geek..

the game has to cover all the race barriers/personality and with a combo's for some.

if anything the characters are mostly fine, most games have male protagonists and thus all females are pale in comparison... in some cases a female lead does cause some male shrinkage..

as for clem and the tree house club, she's a kid put in an impossible situation, who may or may not be a 'spy' who is missing her family may or may not know what their fate is her being female means nothing in this thread as clem being a child losing her innocence 'mentally' would happen to any child in this scenario.. gender is as vain put it moot/invalid/irrelavant.

"GOD HAS SPOKEN" Kneel in awe or not we still live in a semi free country, I for one am kneeling:D

• I believe that the women are being much better developed than the men in this game. There's greater diversity with them. I mean beside Lee there are no real man in the group. Even Mark was whining too much.
    I think we need more Rick/Tyreese/Shane/Daryl characters.
    Most of the male characters are just too passive. Kenny is a great character even though he's a coward.

As for Omid and Christa I like the opposition they represent. Omid is really friendly, group oriented and easy going, while Christa is toughen up survivor/leader type of girl. I just hope they don't die too fast.

• @DreadMagus said: Christa is practical, we know that. And very survival oriented.

Omid seems passive, and more "group oriented." (look at how quickly he wanted to join up and how easy it was to get him to use the torch)

I agree with these assessments yet in almost every thread, I see people slamming Christa and calling her mean and evil while carrying a ridiculous (imo) torch for Carley and Katjaa....makes me confused. I do think that the females in this story have been based on stereotypical models and are also judged by the players in that light.

I have no problem with Christa, but Carley and Katjaa made me want to puke!

However, there have also been some great points made about the male characters in the story that I have to agree with as well. The difference I can see is that the men are not put down as harshly on the board for their flaws as the women are.

• @Red Panda said: Katjaa is super passive, Carley can't figure out how to use batteries, Lilly is mental and stands by her crazy Dad until the end, and Clem verges on escapism.

Men have their faults, but do you think the the fairer sex is getting equal treatment by writers?

I have no problem with how the female characters are portrayed.

• @Vainamoinen said: Absolutely!

Carley was the best shot in the game, Katjaa's doctor skills were exactly what completed the team. Lilly was the kind of leader figure the team needed (before her father was offed) AND probably the second best shot; and if it wasn't for her "two are a team" dogma, Christa would have been the next leader of the group immediately before Kenny or Lee could have said "I volunteer".

---snip---

Clementine's story is about the loss of innocence - and Lee's attempts to preserve it as much as he can. But her traits are presented as those of a child. The fact that she's female is, as much as this hurts the tree house club, pretty irrelevant to what is happening.

Seriously, I'd say we're good with the women treatment.

Carley is dead. Katjaa is dead. Lilly is gone. But Clem is still alright.

Carley died defending one man and praising another. (God rest her soul.)

Katjaa killed herself after her boy died, like if she's not a mother she's not worth living.

Lilly went crazy with her Dad. (Think about the message of that! A woman can't survive withou "Big Daddy"?)

Clem is the only one still alive and she's sticks super close to Lee and does whatever he says. That's how a woman survives?

A man can be an idiot and devious and still live?

• Carley died because she antogonized a character who clearly didn't like her from the get-go.

Katjaa.... perplexes me.

Lilly doesn't matter - they HAD to write her out at some point.

If you have a point, I really don't see it.

I mean, I don't see any women getting their heads crushed or their legs eaten.

Man, men are so horribly abused in this game. Makes me wanna cry...

*sob*

*sniffle*

Add Comment