User Avatar Image

The "whatever's on your mind" thread

posted by GuruGuru214 on - last edited - Viewed by 138.6K users

One of the things that's great about this forum is its randomness. Well, this is the epitome of it: a thread for whatever random thought happens to be passing through your mind.

For example, I've just been struck by the most random craving for Taco Bell nachos.

38.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @GuruGuru214 said: It's just me and my dad. My sister lives with her boyfriend's family, so she's mostly away from this mess. I, on the other hand, have to deal with my dad every night, and to say that he's not coping with the loss of my mom well is an understatement. The biggest thing is that he can't handle being in this house. There's so much he wants to do and so much clutter he wants to get rid of, it's driving him nuts. I think he's largely having trouble with life in general, but he's been venting it through his frustration with the house.

    And at this point, we need each other. He can't get along without me, and I have nowhere to go without him. Unfortunately, I'm not at a place in my life where I can support myself, and even more unfortunately, my dad's such a wreck that this is the only type of support I'm able to get out of him.

    I've been here. You need to support him or help support him the best you can..but you also need to take care of yourself too. It's hard I know but it's what needs to happen. I think what would be good for you and your dad is counseling..it's helped me out a lot and it's helped my sister.

    I don't know..I've got a new baby in the house so everything feels off and I maybe in the wrong..I just know what's worked for me.

  • I've tried to suggest counseling, and he always gets defensive. Then, while I was at NDK, he went in for a physical and his doctor also suggested it. Now he's open to going, but mainly because he wants it for me and my sister. He still doesn't think he needs it, but he's willing to go to get help for the two of us. Guess at least I'll be able to get him in there.

  • @GuruGuru214 said: I've tried to suggest counseling, and he always gets defensive. Then, while I was at NDK, he went in for a physical and his doctor also suggested it. Now he's open to going, but mainly because he wants it for me and my sister. He still doesn't think he needs it, but he's willing to go to get help for the two of us. Guess at least I'll be able to get him in there.

    I think it would help out a lot.

  • @GuruGuru214 said: It's just me and my dad. My sister lives with her boyfriend's family, so she's mostly away from this mess. I, on the other hand, have to deal with my dad every night, and to say that he's not coping with the loss of my mom well is an understatement. The biggest thing is that he can't handle being in this house. There's so much he wants to do and so much clutter he wants to get rid of, it's driving him nuts. I think he's largely having trouble with life in general, but he's been venting it through his frustration with the house.

    Oddly enough, this sounds similar to how my grandfather dealt with my grandmother's death. After getting rid of most of her stuff (mainly clothes and jewelry, which he gave to me since we were the same size) he could only talk about selling the house and kept getting rid of more and more stuff. Eventually, he had a big garage sale and basically sold everything that nobody in the family wanted to keep and then moved out.

    I should probably stop helping. But I'm now back in the land of internet, and so will be available for listening purposes.

  • @GuruGuru214 said: It's just me and my dad. My sister lives with her boyfriend's family, so she's mostly away from this mess. I, on the other hand, have to deal with my dad every night, and to say that he's not coping with the loss of my mom well is an understatement. The biggest thing is that he can't handle being in this house. There's so much he wants to do and so much clutter he wants to get rid of, it's driving him nuts. I think he's largely having trouble with life in general, but he's been venting it through his frustration with the house.

    And at this point, we need each other. He can't get along without me, and I have nowhere to go without him. Unfortunately, I'm not at a place in my life where I can support myself, and even more unfortunately, my dad's such a wreck that this is the only type of support I'm able to get out of him.

    I felt very sad reading this post. It only reminds me of my brother, the one who died not too long ago. I sympathize for you.

  • Thanks. He had some time to cool off and we talked some, and I certainly wouldn't call things "fixed", but it's a little better.

  • @Rather Dashing said: You keep saying this. I don't think you realize how extremely little you know about what you're talking about.

    I wouldn't say it if Power Rangers was actually any good. Star Wars and Indiana Jones rip off a lot of things, but no one cares because the (original) movies were still very good. They were also new and fresh feeling, while Power Rangers is not because it feels so much more like a rehash.

    Seriously, the only characters in Power Rangers I ever really liked were Bulk and Skull.

    Also, I didn't think it was required to know the complete Japanese histories of the shows I watch in order to enjoy them, so it doesn't matter what I know about them. It's just that whenever I see Power Rangers, I think about how campy it was (I've also established that I hate camp) and about how it totally resembles a much better show that came on not even 8 years prior.

  • Well, just watched the Endeavor (space shuttle) fly over. It was brilliant and fantastic, it flew so low that I could make out the lettering on the side of the shuttle. Definitely worth the hour wait.

  • I wish my life had meaning like that. At least I'm improving my paintings. And Finally my father's side of the family doesn't think I'm a moron any more. I'm finally living up to my above average IQ score. But I'm still retarded :D

    I've never known any one else so dumb , that people often call intelligent. I'm a wild card.

  • @hangingwithmonkeys said: I wish my life had meaning like that. At least I'm improving my paintings. And Finally my father's side of the family doesn't think I'm a moron any more. I'm finally living up to my above average IQ score. But I'm still retarded :D

    I've never known any one else so dumb , that people often call intelligent. I'm a wild card.

    Life does have meaning. IQ is just a number..I can gurantee I'm about as intelligent as anyone with a degree.

This discussion has been closed.