User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 6.9K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Why they offer choices when there are not even two different story branches?

I though, in the beginning that the choices I make really change the future of the game, mainly with the choice of save Doug or Carley (which don´t die when you save it 5 seconds later...), but then I realized that doesn´t matter what you say or do, its always the same and you can literally tell anyone anything because nothing will change unless the choice make you die in act...

Notice how the game is simplified all time, hiding our choices to make the development much more easier and simple. For example, after choose to save Doug or Carley they only appears in the beginning of the episode 2 and the end, and in the episode 3 they die in the middle without sense and in the exactly same way and place.

They make think you that you can choose between stay with Lilly or go to the beach / boat with Kenny, but its the same and we all go with Kenny.

Everybody who have to die, die. There are no an opportunity to change the story, you can´t really save anybody or kill.

It´s so static and lineal for me and makes me think that this is a game made without effort and just to make money, because they say that your choices matter but no, they don´t matter.

What about a much higher quality game next season with DIFFERENTS storylines between your choices? FFss, I don´t think that´s gonna happen, but who knows.

• There are tons of threads about this topic already, there's no need to create another one.

• Plus to create a game with different storylines it would need to be a 60$ retail game with a much bigger budget

• If you want every choice you make to put the story in a new direction, have fun paying $100 for it, and waiting about 2-3 years between each episode.

• @Rock114 said: If you want every choice you make to put the story in a new direction, have fun paying $100 for it, and waiting about 2-3 years between each episode.

Every choice? I mean some main choices with 3 different storylines at least. I have seen RPG 2D games made by only 1 man with 10 different endings and with all the choices matter in a long way... ah, and its free.

If they don´t offer that then don´t say "omg your choices will be profound and will make the difference" because that´s not true. Offer the game like it´s: single storyline, with choices which only changes some single dialog lines in the near future and that is all.

• @CTCCoco said: Every choice? I mean some main choices with 3 different storylines at least. I have seen RPG 2D games made by only 1 man with 10 different endings and with all the choices matter in a long way... ah, and its free.

If they don´t offer that then don´t say "omg your choices will be profound and will make the difference" because that´s not true. Offer the game like it´s: single storyline, with choices which only changes some single dialog lines in the near future and that is all.

The standard for any game with "choice" is still an inescapable linear plot. Heavy Rain and Mass Effect do the same thing. If there's a story being told, you can make decisions which have temporary, cosmetic changes, then progress with the story as intended.

For instance, in Heavy Rain, you can choose to drive into traffic the wrong direction to save your son, or you can refuse. Both ways, you're forced into the same event. You can succed or can fail, both ways the story continues with the same event. The only things that have changed thus far are endings. Heavy Rain only splits into different storylines at the very end. Regardless of the budget, a story driven game will never have changes that matter because writers only care about finishing their storyline.

A Choose Your Own Adventure format is years away. The only people trying to create a game like that are Quantic Dream and Telltale. Telltale tells better stories, Quantic Dream has more funding. We've already talked about all of this. In fact, you can find this same post of mine like a dozen more places. Choices matter as much in The Walking Dead as they do in any other game with a story. You want freedom? Play a sandbox.

• @CTCCoco said: I have seen RPG 2D games made by only 1 man with 10 different endings...

And yet there are still two more episodes to go in this game, so who know how it will end or how your choices will matter in the long run. Rescuing Carley/Doug in episode one isn't likely going to be the defining decision in a five episode game.

• I heard Witcher 2 is basically 2 RPGs in one because of the outcomes.

• @Real Human said: telltale

why we had not choice to save Carley????????

I agree,thats the thing I honestly dislike most. :) If they created all the responses for each and every single choice in conversation you make,even if you are silent all the time,or two completely separate characters depending on who you choose,then they could have given us the option to save Carley or Ben.Maybe a very fast quick-time event,which would allow you to stop Lilly shooting Carley,therefore saving her instead of Ben. :)

...but,to post about the thread itself,honestly,I don't find much choices that limit your story.Like it has been said before,this isn't a type of a game in which the story can go in 3 different directions. :)

You have got a lot of "X will remember that" or "X won't forget that",and depending on what you say or how you act,people will have very different relationships with people in the group.If someone hasn't been in the best relationship with Kenny through the game,that will reflect on how he talks to your in Episode 4 and 5.In the Episode 3,if you haven't told him the truth about your past,or to any other member,I'm sure that will make a difference in the next 2 episodes. :) Like he said himself it will make matter when it comes to the numbers for the boat. ;) What you do with Clementine isn't for nothing also. :) We still have 2 episodes left,we will see how everything turns out guys. :)

• People have been clamoring since Episode 1 that the decisions put forth are very superficial, which has been well-argued. It is true that the perceptions other characters have of you and your experience with story differ dramatically depending upon player actions. However, player action has not influenced plot in a significant manner to date. To make things a bit worse, Episode 3 did a lot of "railroading" as well, as everyone ended up with the same scheme regardless of what they did.

I still love the game, and player experiences differ enough to make this game fun to play and talk about, but the problem still remains that significant plot branching in the game is yet to be had.

Add Comment