User Avatar Image

Distribution

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Greetings to the Telltale team. First I would like to say thank-you for taking an interest in my fav genre and I hope all the best to you and your new game. :D

Having said that, I have some questions.

I recently heard on another forum that you have chosen to distribute the game in episodic format online via download purchases. This is where my problem lies. I am someone who likes to have a physical CD/DVD with my purchase. I also like to have a manual etc but those are less important than having a physical disc.

The reason? Well why am I buying your game? Logically there would be no difference between me paying and downloading as opposed to me pirating the game. I am in no way advocating piracy however I do not like the idea of downloading my purchase instead of walking in a store and getting a box cd the old fashioned way.

Is it because you are in fear of getting screwed by a big game publisher? I would just like to know your reasoning because you have already lost me as a customer :( I was looking forward to this game but now I am not so sure. There are probably hundreds more people with the same opinion as me and is it worth loosing that business? I would have bought one but because I do not get anything physical I have changed my mind. Doesn't this bother the dev team? How many others have been alienated by this type of distribution?

I post here only because I care about the future of the adventure game genre. Ever since the selling of sierra and the (practical) death of lucasarts I have awaited a classic point and click style game. It is a shame that you have decided to choose a type of distribution that I am fully against...

52 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Who knows if the activation server will still be running in 10 years? If the Bone game will still be playable on whatever operating system will be the default one in 10 years!

ScummVM or Dosbox can only emulate games because these games do not rely on authentication either on a central server, or via the star-force way. If you know that distributors have to release a patch for every star-force protected game to make it work on Windows x64, because the encryption isn't compatible by default, you can easily guess that they won't necessarily write a patch for every star-force protected game that went out!

• [quote]If the Bone game will still be playable on whatever operating system will be the default one in 10 years!
    [/quote]

Uh, who knows that about any game? Why are we talking about its potential compatibility with a fan-made emulator a decade down the line? How did SCUMMVM even enter the discussion?

As for the activation question, I'm sure Telltale will alllow it to be activated for as long as they exist.

• Ta-daa!

From Telltale's Kevin Molander;
    [quote]Should we go out of business (thanks for the vote of confidence!), a patched version of the game will be made available to registered owners[/quote]

And that clears that up... :D

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Ahem...you mean Kevin Bruner...or Troy Molander. ;)

• No, no. Didn't you hear, the two of them crossed the blue line, and found a strange chamber in a dusty corner of an uncharted corrodor...

f1.jpg

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

ROTFL!!!! :D :D :D

• I don't get this. From looking at the first episode of bone we cut out the middle men in terms of box production,publisher, retailer etc but yet we pay MORE for a game then we would at a retail store

• Well, for me, US$20 is about a quarter of what I'd be paying at a retail store for a boxed game.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Consider this - how many boxes can you realistically fit into the "PC Games" section of your local Electronics Boutique? - Now - consider how many games EA, Ubisoft, and Vivendi have turned out in the last year...

We're running out of space already - and those guys *will* get priority, because they can afford to *buy* it...

Add a few more games, and a little-known adventure game being sold for $20 isn't going to stay on the shelf for longer than a month... barely anyone would buy it, and it would disappear into oblivion... the company would go down the pan... and you're back to playing Need for Speed.

- I *do* think $20 is too much for Telltale's tentative first step into the entirely unexplored realm of episode-based digital-distribution.

They really need to use this first twelve months building a die-hard fan-base... not starting off by alienating some of their existing supporters with the prospect of paying potentially $60 on 8-15 hours of gameplay, assuming this episode is indicative of future ones.

Digital distribution = good
    - this game probably wouldn't even have been *made* without it.
    Price = questionable
    - and questionable is bad - they really don't want to be instilling doubt in the minds of already wary customers - a lot of people still have this idea in their heads that a physical disc is somehow more worthy of their money than simply the data it contains. Giving people a reason not to test the water is a bad idea.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

It's foolish to doubt online distribution for niche genres.

With few exceptions, the only way to gain a profit using the existing model is the first three shelves of Electronic Boutique, and if your title isnt a huge phenomenal success your game only stays on the shelf for barly 1 week.

Adventure games dont have the pull that Halo or Doom does, even with a high profile license like Sam and Max. Hell, even Revolution Studios found it difficult with Broken Sword III.

Adventure games are a niche genre at best and a dead genre at worst. Only 1 in 10 mainstream triple A titles make a profit, ie more people are losing money than making it. The current model is broken and unless your Square, Blizzard, Microsoft, EA, Valve etc then your powerless.

Online distribution gives independant developers a sustainable and profitable platform, and in the end would you prefer no adventure games at all or high quality independantly produced adventure games via online distribution?

Your call, I mean no one gets tired of FPS and RTS right?

Add Comment