User Avatar Image

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

posted by Friar on - last edited - Viewed by 38.2K users

So, Christmas is approaching, and with it a brand new Doctor who episode, and seeing as it's no longer series 5, I thought it would be time for a new, more generalised Doctor who thread!

For those who are new to the series, It features a humanoid Alien (timelord) called the Doctor, who travels in time and space in the TARDIS. He's the last of his race, and when he dies, he regenerates into a new person (up to 13 times). So far he has done so 11 times, with the current, 11th doctor being Matt Smith.
the11doctors.png

To kick things off, here's a trailer for the new Doctor who ipod/iphone/ipad/android game: The mazes of time!

4.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Darth Marsden said: Also, I posit that the Doctor stopped counting his age in Gallifrey years after the Time War (when he'd have been well over 1,000) and started counting in Earth years, which explains his decrease in age. Just a theory, but I like it.

I like the idea that he lies about his age... by saying he's only 900. Because it seems like one of those pointless arguments that the Doctor would make.

• @Darth Marsden said: Ah, but it's not out-and-out confirmed that that's Captain Jack. Only implied (albeit heavily). That's why I didn't include it in my count. I'm actually rather disappointed that nobody insulted me for spending so long on that!

Also, I posit that the Doctor stopped counting his age in Gallifrey years after the Time War (when he'd have been well over 1,000) and started counting in Earth years, which explains his decrease in age. Just a theory, but I like it.

Or he stopped counting altogether relatively early on. That works just as well. I think the only honest account I'm willing to accept is Three saying he's 'thousands of years old'.

• Adam Mitchell can never go to a jazz club. :(

• @coolsome said: Adam Mitchell can never go to a jazz club. :(

Unless he wears a beanie.
    Or duck tape.

Anyway, I really loved the episode tonight. Felt very much like a torchwood episode, which was nice. I think I'll miss the ponds when they leave next week. Also, having watched the trailer, I'm starting to think the much alluded to "Fall of the ponds" is going to be taken very literally.

And I still don't like whatever they have been doing with the intro sequence. They unique logo is nice, but the vortex is purple now. PURPLE.

• How exactly do you keep track of your age anyway when you're always travelling through time?

• @Friar said: And I still don't like whatever they have been doing with the intro sequence. They unique logo is nice, but the vortex is purple now. PURPLE.

It's actually gotten darker each week, which I think is reperesentative of part of the arc. Next week'll probably be near-black.

• What a git the Doctor is. Why doesn't he tell Kate that her father's not dead but hiding out in fairyland ("The Shadows of Avalon", set in 2012 or thereabouts)?

(Mind you, she's really pulled her life together since "Downtime", and lost so much weight you'd think she was a different person.....)

Add Comment