User Avatar Image

Walking Dead doesn't start in Windows 8 (Steam version)

posted by mau on - last edited - Viewed by 29.6K users

Walking Dead, Steam version, doesn't start in Windows 8 Professional. I read a post where unpluggin a Xbox 360 controller would help - which it did - but I want to play it with the controller. It worked like a charm in Windows 7.

Event viewer log:

Faulting application name: WalkingDead101.exe, version: 2012.4.23.11289, time stamp: 0x4f95e3ff
Faulting module name: DINPUT8.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010a805
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000ff0e
Faulting process id: 0xe24
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd855bcf67dccf
Faulting application path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\WalkingDead101.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DINPUT8.dll
Report Id: 0e28fd5e-f14f-11e1-be6a-00268334286d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

36 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Balisong123 said: Steam doesn't work very well on Windows 8 period. Plus, I didn't even know windows 8 was released to the public yet, only illegal copies and beta. How did you get into beta?

Windows 8 pro has been officially released for some people. I'm using it myself cause I'm a student.

Directly from wikipedia:

On August 15, 2012, Windows 8 was made available to download for MSDN, TechNet and DreamSpark subscribers.[24] [25] Windows 8 was made available to Software Assurance customers on August 16, 2012.[26] Windows 8 was made available for student downloads (with a DreamSpark Premium subscription) on August 22, 2012, earlier than advertised.[25]

Public release will be in october.

And thanks Khorino for the tip, works like a charm!

link: http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/D/dinput8.dll/5.03.2600.2180/download.html

• Thanks Khorino!

I too am running the Windows8 Pro from TechNet and I can confirm that it stops the bizarre 'controller plugged in = fail' scenario.

However (I'm using the non-steam) and the controller isn't actually being seen by the game.... More digging required...

• Same problem here, and installing the DLL linked above allows the game to load, but so did disconnecting my Xbox 360 controller. (actually, I just turned it off, as itʼs wireless)

While it lets the game load, the game isnʼt detecting that there is a controller plugged in at all and mouse movement is really sluggish, like thereʼs half a second delay on everything. (game is running at 60fps though)

I tried pulling the DINPUT8.dll from my old Windows 7 backup, but that doesn't work, the game starts crashing again.

After being without my PC for a month waiting on parts being RMAed, and having not played Episode 3 yet, this really sucks. :(

Windows 8 is already available to anyone with MSDN/Technet, there is a 90 Day Evaluation that is available to anyone with a Live ID (i.e. anyone) and it will be available for purchase in four weeks time…

• Update: this older DINPUT8.dll lets the controller work!
    Edit: Or not. The d-pad and buttons work in the menus, but the sticks do nothing once you get in the game. :(

Update 2: After going through a number of them, This is the DINPUT8.dll you want. (Windows 7 RTM, rather than the fully patched-up Windows 7 I pulled the DLL from initially) Seems to be working as expected.

• 4/27 Update: READ ME Better link to DINPUT8.dll

In Windows 8 if you want to use your gamepad in a TTG engine game you either can't or you have to get a dll from shady websites. I went through the effort to get this directly from the windows 7 SP1 disc to make sure there was no way it could have a virus, etc. Below is the zip I made.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z7sqsq

I checked the dinput8.dll file's hash against virustotal and it is clean:
    https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/c6e7419ea72d1703f72292743a999f4a6cf0c6734ba1ee92c6af18ba8b1a3a23/analysis/1310327516/

I hashed it using: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html

This file is the 32bit Dinput8.dll that shipped with Windows 7 RTM
    When it is placed in the same directory as the EXE in question it will override the system level dll of the same name.

Somewhere in the TTG engine there is a possible incompatibility with the Windows 8 version, either their fault or Microsoft's. This fault causes their games to crash when it detects a controller is attached and it tries to use it. The Windows 7 version does not have this problem.
    Details>

This has fixed every instance of errors I have had in TTG games that have an event like the following.
    Faulting application name: PokerNight2.exe, version: 2013.4.24.22527, time stamp: 0x51788caf
    Faulting module name: DINPUT8.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010a805
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000ff0e
    Faulting process id: 0x1070
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce431d9e801a5e
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Poker Night 2\PokerNight2.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DINPUT8.dll
    Report Id: dc700516-af10-11e2-bf6f-94dbc9e2cec6
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks,

OLD BELOW
    First I want to thank you for this thread.

I was trying to launch Sam and Max Season 3 and it just would instantly crash (previous seasons worked fine). I completely forgot I had my Xbox 360 controller attached. Removing it fixed the issue and it launched properly.

I am running Windows 8 RTM Build 6.2.9200.

I am going to try to see if the dll in the folder lets me use the controller. I will edit with my findings.

EDIT: I followed WhyYouNoWork's advice and downloaded the Windows 7 RTM DINPUT8.dll (6.1.7600.16385) and put it in the directory with the SamMax301.exe this allows it to launch with the controller connected. Without this dll in there and the controller connected it crashes.
    Be careful on the topdll site it is on the shady side, don't allow it to scan for errors, but the dll is clean from what NOD32 tells me.

• Say, you two are real people, right?

• @John W. said: Whoa.

There's a Windows 8?

The exact words that popped into my head. :D

• @WhyYouNoWork said: Update 2: After going through a number of them, This is the DINPUT8.dll you want. (Windows 7 RTM, rather than the fully patched-up Windows 7 I pulled the DLL from initially) Seems to be working as expected.

You, sir are a genius beyond measure! I can confirm that it's clean and works like a charm, if charms were made out of solid brilliant coated in a varnish of gold-flecked superb!

• Ok, I download dinput 8, but it says that theres no default folder to run it with, wtf do I doooo

• Windows 8 is Windows 8...Windows 7 FTW! :D

Add Comment