User Avatar Image

Rate the Last Game You Finished

posted by DrRocketGenius on - last edited - Viewed by 8K users

Title says it all. Rate the last video game you completed.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - 9.5/10

835 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ryannumber1gamer said: Is that Tomb Raider Chronicles or Tomb Raider Last Revalation?

NOT chronicles.
    Last Revelation.

@ryannumber1gamer said: Still, ONE.

Yes. That one too. (esp. the PS1 version with more music).

• @Vainamoinen said: Still, ONE.

I'm going to guess Tomb Raider 1 is your favorite.

• @ryannumber1gamer said: I'm going to guess Tomb Raider 1 is your favorite.

Well it was the start into the series for both of us I guess. I really like it but I don't think I can recommend it to everyone.
    It certainly reinvented the wheel but It has been copied and improved upon so much by now that a new player could easily not appreciate it because others did it better.
    Just like the first Half-Life game. It has the same problem nowadays.

• @der_ketzer said: Well it was the start into the series for both of us I guess. I really like it but I don't think I can recommend it to everyone.
    It certainly reinvented the wheel but It has been copied and improved upon so much by now that a new player could easily not appreciate it because others did it better.

And, as has been said, it does not hold up well in a world with the modern Prince of Persia games.

If you're determined to play the first one though, I'd recommend Tomb Raider Revised, a fan project that remakes the whole of the original game in the Tomb Raider 4 engine. Sadly there's no remakes of TR2 or 3, but hey ho.

• Broken Sword 3. It's different than 1 and 2 but I enjoyed it for the most part. I wouldn't call it a horrible game. I thought it was pretty good, maybe even re playable. Some of the puzzles were annoying, like the no detection puzzles. But , other than that I liked it.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

I played through Day of the Tentacle again. 9/10. Yes, it drops the replayability of Maniac Mansion, but it's still a very entertaining game. And I think it works as a Maniac Mansion sequel even though it feels completely different (and, actually, that's what I like about it is it's fresh feeling. I'd love to see more radically different sequels like this). :)

But, after playing it this time I feel dumb. I just found out that you can give your objects to other characters through their pictures on the screen. Every time I played through it I always went to the chron-o-johns and flushed the objects manually. :eek:

• @Darth Marsden said: And, as has been said, it does not hold up well in a world with the modern Prince of Persia games.

If you're determined to play the first one though, I'd recommend Tomb Raider Revised, a fan project that remakes the whole of the original game in the Tomb Raider 4 engine. Sadly there's no remakes of TR2 or 3, but hey ho.

I plan on playing the original PSX Tomb Raider at some point in the not-too-distant future. To me, those horrendous blocky graphics are part of the charm.

• Rage (PC).

Before the last mission & ending, I would have given this game a 7 out of 10 because despite of a few technical flaws (some down to the fact that my computer isn't as graphically powerful as I'd like and the rest down to the fact that it's a poor port) I enjoyed it. The missions are very linear and mission locations are often used twice, once for a story mission and again (sometimes in reverse) for a side mission. For the most part anyway, like not including the story mission that is just a reverse of an earlier story mission (that earlier story mission would turn out to be the best mission of the game, for pacing & atmosphere as well as the challenge - I'll just say Dead City).

And then the ending happens. I'm not going to spoil anything other than the fact that the ending happens, which it does. It just happens. My reaction to the ending is best summed up by the game title - RAGE. If the title is supposed to have some baring on the plot of the game then it must be a very subtle reference or just hidden so deep (not that there's anything deep about this game) that it may as well not exist.

Anyway, because of the way the game ended the score I'm giving this game is 4 out of 10. It's not the worse game I've played, 'cos I had some fun on the way but it is one of the worse endings I've witnessed. Well, at least since endings became more than a 'well done' screen. A modern, story driven game like this (ha!) needs closure at least, even if sequel hooks are used. Otherwise it just feels like I've wasted the time I've put into the game.

Damn you id.

Add Comment