User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 10.2K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Galdis said: To make things a bit worse, Episode 3 did a lot of "railroading" as well, as everyone ended up with the same scheme regardless of what they did.

Funny thing about railroads, they tend to run on one line from point A to point B, not a lot of detours.

• Pretty much by the end of Ep 3 the only differences between people's saves are what you said to people.

They better make all the stuff you say matter in Ep 4, like if you told Clem not to be afraid she'll run into an empty house but if you say Everything is Dangerous then she'll carefully enter with you :D

• @TheWildcard said: I hear you, but its not like 25 dollars broke me. I just don't feel like sitting back and saying nothing while the company does not deliver what was promised. Saying nothing is what makes these companies think they can do it.

Agreed

@TheWildcard said:

Bingo!

[QUOTE=Maugly;671600]Don't worry, in season 137, episode 95 you've got to see an effect of all your decisions you've made that far :)

I second this prediction. Sadly.

@TheWildcard said: I'm sorry but I find it extremely funny how people are grasping at strays trying to prove that your choices have mattered so far. Especially when a telltale team member pretty much said that yeah so far things don't seem to have an impact....Seriously, wake up guys.

I have given up both trying to understand and trying to make myself understood on this topic and this board. There are a group of people who inexplicably have accepted that the sky is blue while simultaneously arguing that blue isn't really the name for the color and that they have chosen to use their imaginary blue in lieu of the real freaking blue they can see.

@TheWildcard said:

So, when in doubt, resort to that tired, cheap rhetorical device, that "words are subjective". In other words, we can't really disagree with the ads, because we can never really agree on what words mean. There are no actual, meaningful definitions of words such as "profound", right? If only there was a book we could turn to, where the "definitions" of "words" were compiled such that we could consult them and figure out what things meant! If only!

I think that's what bothers me the most about the discussion here. Many of us, myself included, have voiced rational and logical statements of displeasure with the marketing and advertisement of this game. When we do so, we are met with these rationalizations that are quite frankly, insulting and irritating. Subjectivity be damned, I have the right to say TTG misrepresented this game without someone coming behind me telling me that I am misinterpreting it because I don't understand what the words really mean.

• @LadyJ said:
    I think that's what bothers me the most about the discussion here. Many of us, myself included, have voiced rational and logical statements of displeasure with the marketing and advertisement of this game. When we do so, we are met with these rationalizations that are quite frankly, insulting and irritating. Subjectivity be damned, I have the right to say TTG misrepresented this game without someone coming behind me telling me that I am misinterpreting it because I don't understand what the words really mean.

You do have the right to say that TTG misrepresented the game. However, I have the right to say that you're completely wrong and apparently you have absolutely no idea how game designing works. It is also my right to tell you and all the others that share your opinion that if you're so displeased with this game, you can always stop buying and playing. Nobody forces you, and yes, the game delivers everything it has promised.
    The only thing Telltale fails to deliver are episodes on their promised dates, but I'm willing to forgive that as I do prefer quality over quantity/speed delivery and the quality of their episodes so far has been top notch.

• @YamiRaziel said: You do have the right to say that TTG misrepresented the game. However, I have the right to say that you're completely wrong and apparently you have absolutely no idea how game designing works. It is also my right to tell you and all the others that share your opinion that if you're so displeased with this game, you can always stop buying and playing. Nobody forces you, and yes, the game delivers everything it has promised.
    The only thing Telltale fails to deliver are episodes on their promised dates, but I'm willing to forgive that as I do prefer quality over quantity/speed delivery and the quality of their episodes so far has been top notch.

You saying that I am wrong doesn't make it so. No more than me saying I am right makes it so. Further, let me correct you because you are wrong when you assume that I have no idea of the game development process. My experience in the field is greater than yours, I assure you. However, it is irrelevant in this context.

You seem to want to point a finger at me because you don't like or agree with my point of view. Your intent to invalidate my concerns by denying the veracity of my complaint tells me that you are just as linear in your ability to process complex input as TTG's version of TWD is. Which explains why you are satisfied with the product.

I have already paid for the episodes in advance. If I had only bought each one at a time, I would have stopped at the first game and wouldn't be here to talk about it. They have already lost me as a future customer. That however, doesn't mean I can't be upset or voice that displeasure right now.

• @YamiRaziel said: You do have the right to say that TTG misrepresented the game. However, I have the right to say that you're completely wrong and apparently you have absolutely no idea how game designing works. It is also my right to tell you and all the others that share your opinion that if you're so displeased with this game, you can always stop buying and playing. Nobody forces you, and yes, the game delivers everything it has promised.

LadyJ's game design expertise isn't relevant. You are simply saying "that's your opinion" when LadyJ is presenting an argument.

• @LadyJ said: My experience in the field is greater than yours, I assure you.

So far, I haven't seen any proof of this.
    I'm not pointing fingers at anybody. You posted your "rational arguments" and I said that I do not agree with them. That's all.

Galdis, all I'm saying is that I do not agree with her opinion. I've already posted more than enough posts that explain my position. If you're that curious, go back some 10 pages maybe and read them. If not, well, read other poster's opinions.

• @YamiRaziel said: So far, I haven't seen any proof of this.
    I'm not pointing fingers at anybody. You posted your "rational arguments" and I said that I do not agree with them. That's all.

Galdis, all I'm saying is that I do not agree with her opinion. I've already posted more than enough posts that explain my position. If you're that curious, go back some 10 pages maybe and read them. If not, well, read other poster's opinions.

No, if you'd stopped at disagreeing with me, I wouldn't have followed up. You attempted to discredit my argument based on an erroneous perception of my credibility. Which is still irrelevant as Galdis pointed out.

You don't agree, fine. I don't actually care. Telling me that I should just be quiet because you don't agree, that's childish.

• you people are fucking crazy. jesus you can't even wait till episode 5 to see if you choices did actually have an effect. The word is called PATIENCE You people who complain about lack of choices when you haven't even played all 5 episodes yet piss me off.

• I won't bother to look through 31 pages to see if anyone posted this already because when I see a bright, shiny fire I just need to pour gasoline on it. From the FAQ page:

"Is there anything unique about this game versus other Telltale games?
    Yes. For the first time, the decisions that the player makes will drive a “tailored” game-play experience. A decision that you make or something that you say will have repercussions not only in the episode that you’re playing, but also in future episodes of the game. Decisions will range from relatively innocuous (do I lie here and if so, how should I lie?) though to world-changing (I can only save one person here, who will it be?). Furthermore, you’ll come under pressure to make decisions quickly. You won’t be able to stand around deciding which option to choose during a conversation. The undead won’t stand by and politely let you figure out your next move."

Add Comment