User Avatar Image

Legend of Zelda Megathread - Adoring Fan Edition

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 9.4K users

I thought we should have a thread to discuss the Legend of Zelda games, especially with Skyward Sword so close!

782 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • A split timeline isn't necessary. We can go the Back to the Future rout on it. Jason's Unified Timeline of Everything Zelda.

• Another misconception. Why must "The Hero fails" be interpreted as Link dying? It's proven that Ganon can strip Link and Zelda of their Triforce pieces without killing them.

• I've been playing Twilight Princess for Wii off and on lately and, after having enough experience playing around with the controls, I still have to say that I like Twilight Princess for GameCube better.

The spin attack for the Wii version is very close to the same movement as the shield bash. This means that doing a Helm Splitter is rather cumbersome thus discouraging frequent use.

The sword also charges up for a spin attack automatically without doing anything, so the sound of it charging occurs a lot throughout the game. This also makes the spin attack a very frequent combat tactic. Not so for the GameCube, as charging the sword then requires holding the B button down while standing still. This keeps the gamer from using spin attacks as a sort of win-button, and the GameCube version is better for it.

And finally, in the Wii version, when you press the D-pad button for an assigned item, doing so switches it to the B button (the trigger). In the GameCube version, items that are assigned to X and Y stay assigned to X and Y, and pressing a button immediately summons said item to hand--same as for Wind Waker (for which Z is also assignable) or the C-buttons in Ocarina of Time. This means that items are easier to manage and quicker to use in TP for the GameCube than for Wii. If I'm being attacked, I don't have time to mess with switching item assignments around in my interface.

The only things the Wii version has over the GameCube is quicker control of precise bow or clawshot aiming with the cursor, and widescreen support.

• Eh, I have the Wii version and likely wouldn't plunk down more money for the exact same game with different controls.

• I did because I'm a Zelda-maniac. I have yet to buy Spirit Tracks and OOT 3D, though. It's interesting to play the game in mirror view, though. But I do prefer the GameCube version because I like the classic controller, and you can control the camera with the C stick. I just wish that it supported Widescreen. That's the big difference.

• @MusicallyInspired said: But I do prefer the GameCube version because [...] you can control the camera with the C stick

Yes, also this. I forgot. I like that.

The Wii version for me is what is mirrored, since I played the GameCube version (at least 2 or 3 times before from start to finish) first.

I keep having to stop and think about how Malo Mart in Kakariko is on the left, not the right, and that the lake is to the east while Kakariko is to the west.

• Yeah, I had the GC version first as well. I consider the Wii version mirrored. And for good reason. It was developed first for the GameCube, and then ported to the Wii, remember. Also, Link always has his sword in the left hand, whereas they had to put it on the right on the Wii because...umm...I don't know. Most people are right handed I guess?

• @MusicallyInspired said: Also, Link always has his sword in the left hand, whereas they had to put it on the right on the Wii because...umm...I don't know. Most people are right handed I guess?

Yeah, that's the exact reason Nintendo gave. They mirrored the world because it was easier than re-modeling Link to be right-handed. Lazy bastards.

• @Darth Marsden said: They mirrored the world because it was easier than re-modeling Link to be right-handed. Lazy bastards.

Yeah. Something to do with clipping issues, I think.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I did because I'm a Zelda-maniac. I have yet to buy Spirit Tracks and OOT 3D, though. It's interesting to play the game in mirror view, though. But I do prefer the GameCube version because I like the classic controller, and you can control the camera with the C stick. I just wish that it supported Widescreen. That's the big difference.

I bought OoT3D because 1) I was getting tired of playing the game on an emulator, 2) it is a vast graphical improvement, and 3) it is one of my favorite Zelda games(and was #1 until Skyward Sword came out). Twilight Princess is decently high on my list, but not enough to go out and buy a Gamecube copy.

And I am a Zelda-maniac, though not quite to a crazy extent. Would never consider buying the CD-i games, for example.

Add Comment