User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @YamiRaziel said: So far, I haven't seen any proof of this.
    I'm not pointing fingers at anybody. You posted your "rational arguments" and I said that I do not agree with them. That's all.

    Galdis, all I'm saying is that I do not agree with her opinion. I've already posted more than enough posts that explain my position. If you're that curious, go back some 10 pages maybe and read them. If not, well, read other poster's opinions.




    No, if you'd stopped at disagreeing with me, I wouldn't have followed up. You attempted to discredit my argument based on an erroneous perception of my credibility. Which is still irrelevant as Galdis pointed out.

    You don't agree, fine. I don't actually care. Telling me that I should just be quiet because you don't agree, that's childish.

  • you people are fucking crazy. jesus you can't even wait till episode 5 to see if you choices did actually have an effect. The word is called PATIENCE You people who complain about lack of choices when you haven't even played all 5 episodes yet piss me off.

  • I won't bother to look through 31 pages to see if anyone posted this already because when I see a bright, shiny fire I just need to pour gasoline on it. From the FAQ page:

    "Is there anything unique about this game versus other Telltale games?
    Yes. For the first time, the decisions that the player makes will drive a “tailored” game-play experience. A decision that you make or something that you say will have repercussions not only in the episode that you’re playing, but also in future episodes of the game. Decisions will range from relatively innocuous (do I lie here and if so, how should I lie?) though to world-changing (I can only save one person here, who will it be?). Furthermore, you’ll come under pressure to make decisions quickly. You won’t be able to stand around deciding which option to choose during a conversation. The undead won’t stand by and politely let you figure out your next move."

  • @Juicius Maximus said: I won't bother to look through 31 pages to see if anyone posted this already because when I see a bright, shiny fire I just need to pour gasoline on it. From the FAQ page:

    "Is there anything unique about this game versus other Telltale games?
    Yes. For the first time, the decisions that the player makes will drive a “tailored” game-play experience. A decision that you make or something that you say will have repercussions not only in the episode that you’re playing, but also in future episodes of the game. Decisions will range from relatively innocuous (do I lie here and if so, how should I lie?) though to world-changing (I can only save one person here, who will it be?). Furthermore, you’ll come under pressure to make decisions quickly. You won’t be able to stand around deciding which option to choose during a conversation. The undead won’t stand by and politely let you figure out your next move."



    That sounds like the game I'm playing right now.

  • @Juicius Maximus said: I won't bother to look through 31 pages to see if anyone posted this already because when I see a bright, shiny fire I just need to pour gasoline on it. From the FAQ page:

    "Is there anything unique about this game versus other Telltale games?
    Yes. For the first time, the decisions that the player makes will drive a “tailored” game-play experience. A decision that you make or something that you say will have repercussions not only in the episode that you’re playing, but also in future episodes of the game. Decisions will range from relatively innocuous (do I lie here and if so, how should I lie?) though to world-changing (I can only save one person here, who will it be?). Furthermore, you’ll come under pressure to make decisions quickly. You won’t be able to stand around deciding which option to choose during a conversation. The undead won’t stand by and politely let you figure out your next move."



    Well, the World-Change decisions... that´s not true. I can say there is only ONE decision which is a bit "world-change", the decision to save Carley or Doug and it´s not really world-change decision because they are more or less the same and do the same (and they both are now dead, so...). If somebody can tell me one more world-change decision I´ll be glad.

  • @CTCCoco said: Well, the World-Change decisions... that´s not true. I can say there is only ONE decision which is a bit "world-change", the decision to save Carley or Doug and it´s not really world-change decision because they are more or less the same and do the same (and they both are now dead, so...). If somebody can tell me one more world-change decision I´ll be glad.



    Take food from the car and clementine gets a hoodie! THE WORLD IS SO CHANGED.

  • @LadyJ said: No, if you'd stopped at disagreeing with me, I wouldn't have followed up. You attempted to discredit my argument based on an erroneous perception of my credibility. Which is still irrelevant as Galdis pointed out.

    You don't agree, fine. I don't actually care. Telling me that I should just be quiet because you don't agree, that's childish.



    Where have I said that you should be quiet? Now you're just making things up. Reread my first post to you. I said you have the right to complain as much as I have the right to not agree with you.

  • @YamiRaziel said: You do have the right to say that TTG misrepresented the game. However, I have the right to say that you're completely wrong and apparently you have absolutely no idea how game designing works. It is also my right to tell you and all the others that share your opinion that if you're so displeased with this game, you can always stop buying and playing. Nobody forces you, and yes, the game delivers everything it has promised.
    The only thing Telltale fails to deliver are episodes on their promised dates,
    but I'm willing to forgive that as I do prefer quality over quantity/speed delivery and the quality of their episodes so far has been top notch.




    Check the bold area for where you try to just flat out say the other persons opinions are unfounded. Check the underlined for you trying to discredit the other persons opinion without any basis. You were presented with a thought out response expressing a view point and you did not respond in kind. You are pretty much saying to be quiet because her opinion has no basis in fact and she does not have the expertise needed....

  • ... or maybe you're guessing too much? I'm just saying that she left me with that impression. I apparently disagree with her, but I never said she shouldn't voice her opinion.

  • It seems to me that, while all players are heading in the same general direction, our experiences getting to that point are different from player to player. I saved Carley instead of Doug. I shot Duck instead of making Kenny do it. I helped kill Larry in the meat locker. Others saved Doug, or tried to help Larry. You get a different experience based on what you do, but it's not like saving Larry would have meant that we'll find the cure for zombieism from him later on.

    Lee can influence how people see him and act toward him, but he's not going to become king of the bandits if he chooses this, or kill all the walkers in Macon if he does that. The story IS, in fact, tailored by what you do. Have you guys seen all the threads about Lilly vs Kenny? Let's not turn this thread into ANOTHER one of those threads, but I feel they're a good example of how deeply (or not) your choices go. Kenny saved me from Danny because I helped him with Larry. However, Yami was saved by Lilly because he tried to revive Larry. I saw Kenny spring to my rescue, while he saw Kenny cower in the stall watching Lee have a gun shoved in his face. Those scenes are different, with different interactions between the characters. Afterward, we're still both outside the barn talking to whoever we saved in Episode 1, and Ben. It goes almost exactly the same in both our games. We get the same exact scene, but our ways of getting their and our attitudes toward the characters we interacted with are different.

    While TWD may not exactly be you doing whatever you want, as we are railroaded by a plot spanning the entire season, but our ways of getting to each of the major points of that plot aren't the same. Kenny is my best friend going into Savvanah right now, while other people hate his guts and want him dead. Clementine is learning from us too, and being mshaped by not only the actions that we, as players, make but by how we explain them to her afterwards. It doesn't seem to be very fair to say that our choices don't matter AT ALL by this point in the game, as we're only 60% of the way to the end. But at the same time, there are sections where Lee is stuck picking between things that players may say "I wouldn't do either of those! Where does my choice come in?!" to.

    In the end, Telltale is telling us a story. We get to choose how some things happen along the way, but we're all going in the same general direction no matter what we do. Personally, I have no problem with changing a few things along the way, so long as the overall plot of the season that I am being railroaded to is well written and believable (which, in my opinion, it has been so far). But that wall of text is just my opinion. I felt I should put in my 2 cents.

Add Comment