User Avatar Image

Man " adapt to the choices you make"? What choices?!?

posted by JackSeifer on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Every decision made up to this point really didn't make no difference at all. What's the point of saving Carley or Doug if they die anyway? What's the point of sided with Lily or doing all you can to save Larry if Lily leaves and you pretty much patch up things with Kenny? Every choice in this game is bullshit and pointless, it's too much of a rail game, even that bs decision where you had to give out food. I don't care at all about putting up more money towards the game but damn c'mon can I at least get more options which will actually effect something? I loved the game up but the lack of how ineffective my decisions are to the story is pissing me off. Dude, throw a donate button on your site and I wouldn't mind kicking out some cash for an actual update that would tidy up some choices so you actually can save Carley or leave with Lily or something.

67 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @boxman said: You clearly have no idea about game development and are expecting way too much. Saying choices dont do shit is bull.. My game had entire different conversations, with characters behaving completely different compared to playthroughs by people who made different choices. How is this no choices?



    Hey, dont come in here with that 'rational thinking' crazy talk, buddy

  • @Alex1939 said: First post paying my two cents...

    I agree with OP.

    Someone said it would be 4 games or more in 1... how about 2?


    Episode 2:

    A) Go explore and return to camp.
    B) Stay at camp and work.

    Episode 3: You split up on the road and meet 10 miles later

    A) Go side road and explore with that group
    B) Go highway


    Any of those scenarios can provide zombies or bandits or numerous other encounters. Any can provide different dialogue options with different characters. They don't have to last the whole episode, they could be a minor portion of each.

    I also don't see the difficulty in having numerous "disposable" characters. How hard would be for 5 extra guys to be at camp? Through the game one dies each episode and your choice matters on who that is. Some guys with 5-10 lines an episode.



    I like this idea. Rather than numerous branching decisions, you split every action with two courses and always keep to the same narrative line. Rather than being a railroad, it's two parallel tracks that allow for far more control and more variation.

    True, a game following a storyline can't really offer true choices, but at least we get some good replay this way.

  • Lily is a comic book character, that's why she HAD to leave and you couldn't kill her (a reasonable course of action for a convicted murderer). She had to leave to join with the governor so don't expect her to come back.
    It's a bad move from Telltale to use characters from the comic since you know (or at least the ones that read the comic know) that they can't die, they have to leave.

  • @Aldaron said: Lily is a comic book character, that's why she HAD to leave and you couldn't kill her (a reasonable course of action for a convicted murderer). She had to leave to join with the governor so don't expect her to come back.
    It's a bad move from Telltale to use characters from the comic since you know (or at least the ones that read the comic know) that they can't die, they have to leave.



    probably worse for the non readers since they dont understand why their choice to save Sean was mooted or why no matter how nice they are to Lily she's out too...Im sure Sean's death was the spark to the 'no choices' fire

  • @JackSeifer said: Every decision made up to this point really didn't make no difference at all. What's the point of saving Carley or Doug if they die anyway? What's the point of sided with Lily or doing all you can to save Larry if Lily leaves and you pretty much patch up things with Kenny? Every choice in this game is bullshit and pointless, it's too much of a rail game, even that bs decision where you had to give out food. I don't care at all about putting up more money towards the game but damn c'mon can I at least get more options which will actually effect something? I loved the game up but the lack of how ineffective my decisions are to the story is pissing me off. Dude, throw a donate button on your site and I wouldn't mind kicking out some cash for an actual update that would tidy up some choices so you actually can save Carley or leave with Lily or something.



    People want the option of being able to save everyone, if they do things just right, but that isn't how TWD works. People die constantly in the comics, the game does a good job of staying true to that. I would have loved to save Carly, I was sad that Lilly was out of the group no matter what I did, why did Duck and Katjaa have to die, etc. etc.. Tragedy is hardwired into TWD, it adds realism to the writing, and I think they were wize to make the game this way. Try to appreciate the story, and stop worrying about how much your decisions are affecting it.

  • That not the point, I didn't want to save anyone, I just want the decitions to matter, I want them tpto change something, anything. The RockPaperShotgun review hits the mark in that sense.

  • @Eric Northman said: People want the option of being able to save everyone, if they do things just right, but that isn't how TWD works. People die constantly in the comics, the game does a good job of staying true to that. I would have loved to save Carly, I was sad that Lilly was out of the group no matter what I did, why did Duck and Katjaa have to die, etc. etc.. Tragedy is hardwired into TWD, it adds realism to the writing, and I think they were wize to make the game this way. Try to appreciate the story, and stop worrying about how much your decisions are affecting it.



    I don't think that is it. People didn't like Carley and Doug serving the exact same purpose and dying the same way. Or that if you choose to save Sean he dies the same way if you choose to save Duck. Or the end of Episode 3 who ever you choose to save when the train leaves, has the same line and the other manages to jump on the train.

    People want just a little variation, it wouldn't take much to do it. They could have found a way to kill Carley and Doug differently. Or Irene, she shoots herself no matter what. I think it would have been a good scene to leave her begging for mercy, Would have made the choice to give her the gun or not much more meaningful.

  • @trd84 said: People want just a little variation, it wouldn't take much to do it. They could have found a way to kill Carley and Doug differently.



    Technically speaking, they did have little variation. Or rather, they did the same things, but done differently. Carley saves you at the St Johns by shooting one of them, Doug however shines a laser-light in his eye hilariously.

    They both die by Lilly's hands, but differently. Lilly thinks Carley had done it Carley doesn't help by driving her over the edge, making Lilly snap and kill her(which shows once again that Carley is an idiot for ticking off the lady with a gun, smart move guys for saving her! She totally was useless!). Doug however dies like pro and saves Ben's because Lilly is about to kill him instead, but Doug pushes him out of the way and takes the shot.

    I do however like your Irene idea and wish they did that instead...

  • @ItsMeArmani said: If you don't like the choices, then GO PLAY ANOTHER GAME. What will complaining do about it? Its easy for you to sit back and complain but Telltale is doing a wonderful job with the game under the time constraints they have.

    Can we just chill with the complaining and appreciate the game for what it is? *sigh* I hope this forum doesn't transform into a whine fest...



    For someone who doesn't like the complaining, you sure show up in every single thread on the subject to complain about complainers. Why the hell are you even reading the threads if they offend you so much?

  • @JackSeifer said: Every decision made up to this point really didn't make no difference at all.



    That is a double negative, therefore you meant that all the choices DID make a difference

    I'm glad we agree :D

Add Comment